catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are to take the whole counsel of God into consideration. There's a reason the early church saw the sin of Sodom as sexual immorality. It's because the canonical book of Jude made it clear:

Jude 1: NASB

3Beloved, while I was making every effort to write you about our common salvation, I felt the necessity to write to you appealing that you contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all handed down to the saints. 4For certain persons have crept in unnoticed, those who were long beforehand marked out for this condemnation, ungodly persons who turn the grace of our God into licentiousness and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.

5Now I desire to remind you, though you know all things once for all, that the Lord, after saving a people out of the land of Egypt, subsequently destroyed those who did not believe. 6And angels who did not keep their own domain, but abandoned their proper abode, He has kept in eternal bonds under darkness for the judgment of the great day, 7just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, since they in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after strange flesh, are exhibited as an example in undergoing the punishment of eternal fire.

Yes, sexual immorality is unacceptable in the church, but it's not just that -- it's also unacceptable for the life to come.

We know this also from 1 Cor 6: 9 also.

If you correctly then also read Ezekiel 16, and not omit it, then you have the entire whole of all the reason(s) Sodom was destroyed (instead of only 1 of the 4).

It's valuable to remember in scripture it is very often that one key thing is said in a location, but not other key things. Often we get a key thing correctly emphasized, to aid us, without distraction. It's often : 1 lesson at a time. Good to keep in mind of course.

So, of course, that Jude helps us connect that 1 part and the rest of the reasons are of equal (or probably even more; see just below) importance. Any doubt ought to be removed by such passages as these:

16 There are six things that the LORD hates,
seven that are an abomination to him:
17 haughty eyes, a lying tongue,
and hands that shed innocent blood,
18 a heart that devises wicked plans,
feet that make haste to run to evil,
19 a false witness who breathes out lies,
and one who sows discord among brothers.
Proverbs 6 ESV

Here we see 2 (but some add also "shed innocent blood", making 3) of the explicit major sins of Sodom, and God tells us these are among the reasons He destroyed it -- His Word.

While "haughtiness" is an aggravated, worse version of pride/arrogance (with both arrogance and the profound extra sin of being disdainful of others also, combined), we learn in chapter 16 that even just arrogance alone (though less than haughtiness) is already an "abomination", even by itself, even though it's not up to the level of the 7 sins that make this list that God especially hates --

Everyone who is arrogant in heart is an abomination to the LORD; be assured, he will not go unpunished.
Proverbs 16 ESV

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
What Jesus is actually doing here is protecting those who cannot legally protect and/or support themselves when they are abandoned by their husbands. He's not making some grandiose statement concerning marriage or gender.

This is a common error in much religious thinking, to take a person's words and try to turn them into metaphysics. I have seen similar things in other religions.

I think Jesus point is that marriages should be based on trust and responsibility, not convenience for one spouse. Jesus really seems to not care too much about "family values" beyond that, even relativizing the notion of family loyalty altogether.

• Agree
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This thread is intended as a reference for a discussion elsewhere. This is the only forum in CF where I can describe why liberal Christians accept homosexuality and transgender identity.

[I’ve just rewritten this because the old posting was too wordy.]

In my opinion, the New Testament doesn’t talk about relationships that Christian homosexuals are asking about, and the Old Testament is not relevant to us.

* The Sodom story is about rape. That’s prohibited whether same-sex or opposite-sex

* The laws in Leviticus are part of a purity code that Christians don’t accept. It’s based on a whole approach of respecting boundaries, and Christians don’t otherwise accept it (mixing fibers in clothes, kosher laws, etc).

* Rom 1 wasn’t about homosexuality. That came into it, but the real attack was on idolatry. He believed that as a result of idolatry, people ended up with disordered morals. As part of that, they became bored with normal sex and turned to unnatural sex. What I’ve read about Romans actually agrees with that. The culture saw wives as for legitimate children, but you got your pleasure elsewhere. But gay Christians aren’t turning to the same sex because they’ve gotten bored with heterosexual relations. It is their normal sex.

Incidentally, if you understand Paul’s argument in the early chapters of Romans, it appears that Rom 1:18-32 is actually not his opinion. It’s something he is quoting in order to reject it. He does that in Rom 2. However this isn’t the place for a detailed exegesis of Romans.

* The two sin lists, 1 Cor 6:9 and 1 Tim 1:10, use words that we don’t entirely understand. The key one is made from roots meaning “male beds.” But there isn’t enough use outside the Bible to be sure what it means. It can be understood as male prostitutes, and at one point was even understood as a reference to masturbation. These days many scholars think it and the next word referred to what today we’d call “tops” and “bottoms.”

Why differentiate? Because in that culture it was unacceptable for an adult male to be a “bottom.” He could only take the active role. Bottoms were slaves or children. So Paul is pointing to relationships in which an adult takes advantage of either a slave or a child. Maybe. If the current guess about what the words mean is right.

* Both the creation story and Jesus (Mark 10:6 ff) refer to men and women marrying. But the Bible often describes the normal pattern. In other cases this isn’t understood as preventing exceptions. Imagine prohibiting wheelchairs because God created mankind with legs. Jesus focused on intent. If someone attracted to the same gender wants to have the same kind of relationship Jesus referred to, I don’t see that there’s a problem with that.

So why do I say the Bible supports gay marriage? In the passage containing 1 Cor 7:7, Paul recognized celibacy as a gift. People shouldn’t be alone unless they have that gift. Otherwise they’re asking for trouble, because sexual desire will pull them into relationships they should be in. This is just as true for people attracted to the same gender as opposite gender.

This thread contains references with more detailed treatments of the issue, including my view of Paul's concept of "natural": Can anyone give me some names of LGBT-affirming christian theologians,philosophers?. You will note that there are pro-gay treatments that I do not recommend, because they make Paul say things that he evidently didn’t say.

Please follow the discussion for the next couple of pages, since there are other concerns that aren't dealt with in this posting.

Recent followups start here: liberal approaches to homosexuality and transgender

----------------

I’m not an expert in transgender identity. I’ve read actual experts, but I find it hard to cite any one specific reference. It does seem clear that there are people that have problems with their sexual identity, and that these problems are serious enough to justify treatment. Many reports suggest that transition helps. (I had an employee go through transition, and the results seem to have been good.) It’s also not a cure-all. Suicide rates still remain higher among people who have transitioned. Personally I’d suggest it as a last resort. But the problem seems real, and I have no problem with people who adopt some or all of a sexual identity opposite to their physical gender to deal with it. I can’t quite understand why many Christians judge these people.

I really don’t see a Biblical issue here. There are plenty of cases where for good reasons we change people from how God made them. We treat birth defects. We amputate parts of the body when survival is at risk. God ordained suffering for childbirth as a punishment, but we deal with it with pain killers or anesthesia. As far as I can see there’s no rational reason why we use legalistic approaches on this one issue.

Here’s an article that discusses the problems that lead to people living as transgender: Opinion | How Changeable Is Gender?. This article is fairly moderate. It points out that gender reassignment isn’t perfect, though the article doesn’t cite the evidence that it often helps. The Wikipedia article Gender dysphoria - Wikipedia is a reasonable summary, and does cite that evidence. (It perhaps isn’t quite skeptical enough, which is why I cited both.)

I remind people reading this that this posting is in the Liberal forum. It is a violation of the SOP of this group to condemn gays or trangenders, or Christians who advocate for them.

All prohibitions are regarding uncontrolled sex outside of committed relationships.
Most of the passages even specify leaving one partner for another. That makes three partners. And for disease reasons, that's bad. And for the soul.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, sexual immorality is unacceptable in the church, but it's not just that -- it's also unacceptable for the life to come.

But immorality is all in the mind and rarely visible to others.

James 4:17
So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.

John 9:41
Jesus said to them, “If you were blind, you would have no guilt; but now that you say, ‘We see,’ your guilt remains.

John 13:17
If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.

2 Peter 2:21
For it would have been better for them never to have known the way of righteousness than after knowing it to turn back from the holy commandment delivered to them.

John 15:22
If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not have been guilty of sin, but now they have no excuse for their sin.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are probably right that the percentages for sexual orientation have never changed. However, that does not mean that many were involved in relationships back them.
Not out in the open anyway.

Upvote 0