Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
This thread is intended as a reference for a discussion elsewhere. This is the only forum in CF where I can describe why liberal Christians accept homosexuality and transgender identity.

[I’ve just rewritten this because the old posting was too wordy.]

In my opinion, the New Testament doesn’t talk about relationships that Christian homosexuals are asking about, and the Old Testament is not relevant to us.

* The Sodom story is about rape. That’s prohibited whether same-sex or opposite-sex. There are many references to Sodom elsewhere in the Bible, listing many of its sins, and none is homosexuality.

* The laws in Leviticus are part of a purity code that Christians don’t accept. It’s based on a whole approach of respecting boundaries, and Christians don’t otherwise accept it (mixing fibers in clothes, kosher laws, etc). The Hebrew is also a lot less clear than the English about what it really means.

* Rom 1 wasn’t about homosexuality, which is by definition people whose sexual orientation is to the same gender. It was an attack on the morals of pagans. Start reading with 1:18. 1:23 makes it clear that what he's talking about in 18-23 is pagans, who worship idols. Starting in 1:24, Paul says that as a result of idolatry, people ended up with disordered morals. As part of that, they became bored with normal sex and turned to unnatural sex. (26-27) What I’ve read about Romans agrees with that. The culture saw same-gender sex as a result of excessive passion (26), which couldn't be satisfied by opposite-gender sex. That's why Paul talks about pagans who in their passion abandon natural relations for unnatural. But gay Christians aren't pagans, and aren’t turning to the same sex because they’ve gotten bored with heterosexual relations. It is their normal sex.

Incidentally, if you understand Paul’s argument in the early chapters of Romans, it appears that Rom 1:18-32 is actually not his opinion. It’s something he is quoting in order to reject it. He does that in Rom 2. However this isn’t the place for a detailed exegesis of Romans. (In Rom 1 - 3 he is dealing with claims that Christians need to become Jews because Judaism is superior. He responds in 2 ways. 1 - 2 answers claims that Gentiles are inherently immoral. 2 - 3 answers claims that Jews are inherently moral. 1:18-32 quotes a standard Jewish polemic against gentiles, saying that all Gentiles are rejected by God. But Rom 2 rejects this, saying that indeed there are Gentiles that are acceptable, inspired by an internal law. He then looks at the opposite error, that all Jews are automatically accepted, and rejects it. Note that 2:2 quotes 1:32. 2:3 and following rejects it. Initially because the Judaizers are hypocritical, but through the rest of 2 he makes the case that some pagans have the Law in their heart. This rejects the argument of 1:28-32, which is that pagans are inherently immoral. )

* The two sin lists, 1 Cor 6:9 and 1 Tim 1:10, use words that we don’t entirely understand. The key one is made from roots meaning “male beds.” But there isn’t enough use outside the Bible to be sure what it means. It can be understood as male prostitutes, and at one point was even understood as a reference to masturbation. The current trend seems to be saying that it and the next word referred to what today we’d call “tops” and “bottoms,” but I've seen credible arguments against that, so I'm far from sure that this is any better than other guesses.

Why differentiate top and bottom? Because in that culture it was unacceptable for an adult male to be a “bottom.” He could only take the active role. Bottoms were slaves or children. So if this current conjecture is right, Paul is pointing to relationships in which an adult takes advantage of either a slave or a child. Maybe. If the current guess about what the words mean is right. (The difficulty with this is that if the guess is right, Paul is condemning the victims along with the perpetrators. I hope that Paul wouldn't do that. The bottoms typically didn't have much choice in the matter. I'd prefer the guess that "soft" means morally soft, not the recipient in same-gender sex. That seemed to be the usual view before the current arguments over homosexuality.)

Furthermore, if you join 1 Cor 6:9 to Gal 5:21, which uses the same language, between them there is something for everyone. This is not a list of special sends the send you to hell. Rather, he is counseling his new Christian converts that becoming Christian has implications. In logic saying "Christians don't do that" logically means anyone doing that isn't a Christian. But this is rhetoric, not logic. He's trying to get people to take seriously that they need to change their behavior.

* Both the creation story and Jesus (Mark 10:6 ff) refer to men and women marrying. But the Bible often describes the normal pattern. In other cases this isn’t understood as preventing exceptions. Imagine prohibiting wheelchairs because God created mankind with legs. Jesus focused on intent. If someone attracted to the same gender wants to have the same kind of relationship Jesus referred to, I don’t see that there’s a problem with that.

So why do I say the Bible supports gay marriage? In the passage containing 1 Cor 7:7, Paul recognized celibacy as a gift. People shouldn’t be alone unless they have that gift. Otherwise they’re asking for trouble, because sexual desire will pull them into relationships they should be in. This is just as true for people attracted to the same gender as opposite gender.

This thread contains references with more detailed treatments of the issue, including my view of Paul's concept of "natural": Can anyone give me some names of LGBT-affirming christian theologians,philosophers?. You will note that there are pro-gay treatments that I do not recommend, because they make Paul say things that he evidently didn’t say. "Natural" pretty clearly means typical, according to the nature of things, or even customary. It has nothing to do with whether same-gender sex occurs among animals in nature. (It does.)

Please follow the discussion for the next couple of pages, since there are other concerns that aren't dealt with in this posting.

Recent followups start here: liberal approaches to homosexuality and transgender

----------------

I’m not an expert in transgender identity. I’ve read actual experts, but I find it hard to cite any one specific reference. It does seem clear that there are people that have problems with their sexual identity, and that these problems are serious enough to justify treatment. Many reports suggest that transition helps. (I had an employee go through transition, and the results seem to have been good.) It’s also not a cure-all. Suicide rates still remain higher among people who have transitioned (though there are some recent studies that say this isn't true if the people around them support them). Personally I’d suggest it as a last resort. But the problem seems real, and I have no problem with people who adopt some or all of a sexual identity opposite to their physical gender to deal with it. I can’t quite understand why many Christians judge these people.

I really don’t see a Biblical issue here. There are plenty of cases where for good reasons we change people from how God made them. We treat birth defects. We amputate parts of the body when survival is at risk. God ordained suffering for childbirth as a punishment, but we deal with it with pain killers or anesthesia. As far as I can see there’s no rational reason why we use legalistic approaches on this one issue.

Here’s an article that discusses the problems that lead to people living as transgender: Opinion | How Changeable Is Gender?. This article is fairly moderate. It points out that gender reassignment isn’t perfect, though the article doesn’t cite the evidence that it often helps. The Wikipedia article Gender dysphoria - Wikipedia is a reasonable summary, and does cite that evidence. (It perhaps isn’t quite skeptical enough, which is why I cited both.)

I remind people reading this that this posting is in the Liberal forum. It is a violation of the SOP of this group to condemn gays or trangenders, or Christians who advocate for them.

Last edited:

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

LucasH

Nov 20, 2017
Dublin
✟9,280.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for this rare gem of reasonableness :) While I am heterosexual myself, I didn't play any role or have any agency in my being heterosexual, so I don't really see why it would be considered a virtue.... more importantly, I find the obsession with sexual morality that pervades so much of Christianity to be deeply troubling - it says a great deal more, in my view, about its proponents' failure to grasp even the most basic elements of Christ's teachings... Moreover - and again this is just my opinion - the Bible is not some sort of law book, and to treat it as such cheapens its real worth - those who think the Bible is just a set of rules shirk their responsibility to really think about, immerse themselves in an experience the wisdom it contains... if you want to condemn people for traits or behaviours that don't harm anyone else, then you don't really get it...

Just my two cents...
Lucas

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He was talking about Roman orgies. But in my view Paul likely assumed that all same-gender sex was the result of debauchery. That’s what the Jewish culture out of which he came seems to have assumed, and it led to 1 Cor 6:9, which probably condemns same-gender sex in general (though there’s substantial uncertainty about the exact definition of the words).

Not quite. The issue is that only same gender sex involving debauchery is visible. Plus there was not a marriage options for gays. The result is that any same gender couple living together either was due to non-monogamous behavior or in any case, not a marriage. Becasue there was no marriage option then any such sexual relationship was outside of marriage. And offensive as well.

Very likely same sex couples existed. But if monogamous and well behaved, they are virtually invisible. I can tell you, I've lived across the street from a gay man for about 15 years. His sex life is completely invisible. Physically, I see him hug his uncle every week, but never any other visitor he might spend time with. Paul could not complain about my neighbor, becasue his sex life is unknown to even exist. The same can be said for the other 3 gay households on my block.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
It is interesting to ponder and speculate, but I guess it is impossible for us to really now how common gay relationships might have been 2,000+ years ago. My guess is that they were probably pretty rare, based upon the norms that existed at the time.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is interesting to ponder and speculate, but I guess it is impossible for us to really now how common gay relationships might have been 2,000+ years ago.

You mean, apart from all the ancient Greek and Roman literature on the subject?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I maintain that homosexuality is in a sense a disability, one that Paul didn’t know about.

At best, it violated marriage standards and was condemed for that. At it's worse, it involved infidelity and lack of commitment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is interesting to ponder and speculate, but I guess it is impossible for us to really now how common gay relationships might have been 2,000+ years ago. My guess is that they were probably pretty rare, based upon the norms that existed at the time.
Researchers say the percentages have never changed.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Researchers say the percentages have never changed.
You are probably right that the percentages for sexual orientation have never changed. However, that does not mean that many were involved in relationships back them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cat Loaf You

Dec 11, 2017
Warsaw
✟22,505.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Something like Liberal Christian does not exist it's just title that you choose . You either follow Christ or not , what you suggest here is since we are saved then let's accept homosexuality , which is and will always be Abomination to YAHWEH .

Your doctrine that you present here is called " doctrine of Balaam and Nicolaitans" as seen in Revelation 2

14But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.

15 So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.

16 Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.

Homosexuality is sin and it's punishment from God to keep you in that state . If you want to remove it ask Him for forgiveness and he will heal you.

Romans 1

22 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm no expert on any of this, but I must say, it seems to me that many people tie themselves in knots trying to explain why in THIS instance or that other instance, interpretation must be mediated by understanding the cultural context, but in the case of these couple verses sort of about same-sex activity, the only permissible interpretation is the most emotionally violent and socially restrictive.

My guess: the absolute forbidding of what we now call same-sex unions is an instance of the church conforming to the world.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Further, if you look with the tiniest bit of knowledge and honesty at the clergy of the "conservative" denominations - so many of them are "actively gay" even if they're supposed to be married or celibate...it's just ridiculous. Then the excuse is "well just if some clergy fail to uphold the teaching that doesn't mean it's no good" - that's okay to a certain limit...but after that limit we just have to say "the people charged with teaching this obviously don't believe it themselves - maybe the only thing that's keeping certain denominations from finding a pastoral accommodation for gay people is social inertia that comes not from Christ but from the world. Last I heard, Jesus Christ had overcome the world...

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I maintain that homosexuality is in a sense a disability, one that Paul didn’t know about. Except in sexual areas, Christians generally have no problems making allowance to help people with disabilities live as normal a life as possible. I don’t think demanding celibacy is an approach we’d take in any other area.
I'm not a liberal, so if this is not allowed here please tell me.

Your definition here seems to preclude any volitional aspect. As such, it's a blank check for anything. And it also offers no hope of change.

I'm a heterosexual. My attraction to women is not, per se, wrong, but it must be kept in check for the sake of godliness and my own wellbeing. I don't see why this dynamic wouldn't also apply to homosexuals.

As for the Biblical foundation for the whole thing, your OP omits Jesus' teaching on marriage, where He says that in the beginning, male and female He created them, therefore a man will leave his mother, etc. The division of the sexes was intentional from the start, and was done with the coming together of the two in the covenant union of marriage in mind. This sets forth the norm to which we all should be striving, unless the gift of celibacy supersedes it.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Your definition here seems to preclude any volitional aspect. As such, it's a blank check for anything. And it also offers no hope of change.

I'm a heterosexual. My attraction to women is not, per se, wrong, but it must be kept in check for the sake of godliness and my own wellbeing. I don't see why this dynamic wouldn't also apply to homosexuals.
One difference is that with "conservative" (not a great term, but I think you know what I mean) teaching on this matter, homosexual persons are forbidden to have sexual relations - ever.

Regardless of one's beliefs, it's just not the same as "I like deli turkey and this other person likes deli ham, each of us needs to keep our desires in check." It doesn't have the same structure.

Reactions: DW1980
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DW1980

Don
Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2017
Scotland
✟121,809.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK - SNP
Something like Liberal Christian does not exist it's just title that you choose . You either follow Christ or not , what you suggest here is since we are saved then let's accept homosexuality , which is and will always be Abomination to YAHWEH .

<<snip>>

Homosexuality is sin and it's punishment from God to keep you in that state . If you want to remove it ask Him for forgiveness and he will heal you.

Romans 1

22 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

I would fundamentally disagree with you here. Please read Romans 1 from verse 18 onwards.

I grew up in a Christian family, and pleasing God was always what I wanted. I helped at Church, did a summer mission, but found out I was gay. So, what had I done to be punished with homosexuality? Why did YEARS of prayer, begging God for change, do nothing? I ended up suicidal. I'm sorry but your theological understanding of what people like me went through does NOT hold up to reality.

I left the Church in the end, and didn't come back for years - and only after a lot of prayer and study did I conclude that there is nothing wrong with being gay. Jesus said that the truth would set us free, accepting the truth about who I am did free me. Now my relationship with God is strong - I know Jesus died for me, I am forgiven - but I am still gay.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Your doctrine that you present here is called " doctrine of Balaam and Nicolaitans" as seen in Revelation 2

14But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.

15 So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.

16 Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.

Romans 1

It's helpful to know that the actual scripture does not refer to a vague, uncertain thing like our modern word 'gay' or even our modern word 'homosexual' in the literal text (in literal translations I've seen), but instead to a precise action, intercourse sodomy, only, and not other things which people like to add in today, against scripture (adding to scripture is prohibited in scripture). You you can learn this by reading the scripture carefully. Here's the ESV (an excellent and accurate) translation:
Leviticus 18 ESV
verse 22 is the one so many people don't realize the wording of, which isn't 'gay' or even 'homosexual' accurately, but instead intercourse sodomy alone, leaving all the other various gay interactions completely ok (unless we try to add to scripture new things not in it).

If anyone is unsure of the verb meaning (intercourse) in verse 22, then examine verse 23 to ascertain the accurate meaning of the verb.

Notice how this real scriptural wording isn't so comfortable for all traditional man/woman married couples, who have in reality some of them done this very thing themselves....

From this accuracy, we can see the Bible says nothing against gay marriage in Lev 22, the chapter on sexual sins.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

DW1980

Don
Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2017
Scotland
✟121,809.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK - SNP

As for the Biblical foundation for the whole thing, your OP omits Jesus' teaching on marriage, where He says that in the beginning, male and female He created them, therefore a man will leave his mother, etc. The division of the sexes was intentional from the start, and was done with the coming together of the two in the covenant union of marriage in mind. This sets forth the norm to which we all should be striving, unless the gift of celibacy supersedes it.

Hi

I'm no liberal either, but I (now) have no issue with same sex relationships. I used to...

I agree that male-female relationships are the "norm", but what of those of us who are just not wired that way, and do not have the gift of celibacy.

To me it's more like being deaf. Deaf people communicate using their hands and eyes rather than mouths and ears. It's not wrong, just different. In the same way, gay men and lesbians have a different expression of sexuality.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Something like Liberal Christian does not exist it's just title that you choose . You either follow Christ or not , what you suggest here is since we are saved then let's accept homosexuality...

Liberal Christianity - Wikipedia

Seven Characteristics of Liberal Theology - The Gospel Coalition
upload_2017-12-12_14-20-9.png

Seven Characteristics of Liberal Theology
Sep 26, 2017 - The idea of liberal theology is nearly three centuries old. In essence, it is the idea that Christian theology can be genuinely Christian without being based upon external authority. Since the eighteenth century, liberal Christian thinkers have argued that religion should be modern and progressive and that the ...

Reinventing Liberal Christianity - Theo Hobson : Eerdmans

Liberals - Religion in America: U.S. Religious Data, Demographics

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I hope you're not asking me to marry a gay woman or that you are looking for one. I did date a gay woman in high school and am personally glad the relationship did not progress. You are suggesting that, as a Christian, I should have married her and kept her straight.

Last edited:
Upvote 0