Reports Manager
Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wanna try something here, let's see how well it goes over. If the thread itself becomes a flame-fest it will be closed. It seems the bulk of the reports we receive are for flaming posts. This is an endeavor to bring about a better understanding of the flaming rule and its application so we can improve the conditions of the discussions and debates in this forum.

The rules spell out pretty clearly what flaming is:

Flaming
You will not insult, belittle, mock, or personally attack other members or groups of members. Use of derogatory nicknames in reference to other members is prohibited. Don't goad another member or start call-out threads. This flaming rule also applies to public religious figures.

If you are flamed, don't respond in-kind. Alert staff to the situation by utilizing the report button.

Lets try to break it down:

Insult, belittle, mock or personally attack other members or groups of members - this can be avoided by simply directing your posts towards the topic of the thread or responding to the topic of a post, rather than a poster or a group of members.

Use of derogatory nicknames - basically namecalling. From childhood we learn not to call each other names. Its not productive to the conversation and will only lead to flaming responses. Be kind to each other and don't call each other names.

Goading - this is basically baiting, an effort try to elicit or rouse other users.

Applies to public religious figures such as the pope, TV evangelists, Dali Lama etc. While these religious figures may not be important to you, they are important to others, so we should try to be respectful of that.

If you are flamed, don't respond in-kind. Alert staff to the situation by utilizing the report button. - Please utilize the report button rather than respond to flames. First of all, when you respond, it gives the appearance that you are equally engaged in the flaming, as well as it usually derails the thread with others also then quoting and responding to the flaming post. This just causing threads to get closed down for clean ups and if it derails too much, or spawned numerous flaming responses, the thread ends up closed.

Flaming in threads does not lend itself to civil discussion or debate. If there's some confusion as to the application of the flaming rule, please feel free to discuss it here.

So let's give this a try and see if we can bring about a better understanding.

***If you are posting examples, please do not name names! This thread is not to be used to embarass anyone! This is also not a thread to appeal any staff actions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Risen Tree

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
So...

Based upon my reading of this rule, I can flame myself all I want! Awesome! :p

Let's be flame partners. You're the only one I'll give permission to flame me, and you have to let me have permission to flame you.:thumbsup:

We should become flame brokers.:clap:

J/K Suzy. ;)

Upvote 0

OphidiaPhile

Sep 26, 2008
Northern California
✟3,947.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Like I said, there are a lot of strong personalities here. I doubt most us actually consider the things said directly to us flaming even if it technically goes against the rules.

True, I have not seen anything that I would personally consider a flame.

Upvote 0

Sojourner1

Following my Shepherd
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2004
California
✟498,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is my definition of flaming and goading:

Flaming:

Flaming is when a member personally attacks and insults another member or group of members through comments that are not directed toward the argument or opinion of the other member, but are directed toward the member in an attempt to offend that member. It isn't a flame for a member to disagree with another member's argument or opinion on a specific topic. Responses to a post should be directed toward the argument or opinion presented in the post and not toward the member personally. Flames are generally comments that offend a member or a group of members. When determining whether or not a post is in violation of flaming staff takes into consideration whether the comments are directed toward the post itself or toward the member or group of members personally.

Goading:

Goading is when a member makes a comment with the intention of provoking another member into responding with a flame. Goading posts are usually intentionally baiting other members into breaking the rules. There are times when a post may not be intentionally trying to goad another member or group of members but that is how the post comes across whether intentional or not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gareth

Jan 3, 2008
South Woodham Ferrers, Essex.
✟9,834.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Single
True, I have not seen anything that I would personally consider a flame.

You obviously haven't been in certain threads! Although we can't insult people or God, the Lord Jesus and so on it is a struggle. People can and do say the most nasty things possible without the need for swearing. Sometimes they just catch us right and we let 'em have it only to fall foul of the censor. You feel you're in a no win situation. At the end of all things though it's the others loss and not ours. Better not to say anything sometimes than to be racked with guilt.

Upvote 0
K

kat69

I´m not in favour of any such rules. My rule of thumb:

If you don´t take offense no offense has occured.
The privilege of triggering my emotions is reserved to people who are close to me - not to anonymous posters on an internet forum.

I understand where you're coming from...however, there are people who are more sensitive and get easily offended...even if it is by anonymous posters on an internet forum.:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
I understand where you're coming from...however, there are people who are more sensitive and get easily offended...even if it is by anonymous posters on an internet forum.:)
Yes, I know - you can do pretty much anything, and someone will be offended.
However, I´m working from the idea that everyone is the author of their own emotions.

Upvote 0

Gareth

Jan 3, 2008
South Woodham Ferrers, Essex.
✟9,834.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Single
Is there a problem with legitimate flaming, or too many reports that aren't actually flames?

Hitting the nail on the head. Some of us have had posts deleted for various reasons. Most are rather ambiguous reasons and the persons complaint is never revealed. So was there a complaint in the first place or is it a case of a Mod or Super-Mod having an axe to grind against us and using the rules as a means to an end?

Upvote 0

suzybeezy

Reports Manager
Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can proselytization, witnessing, evangelism or preaching cross the border into flaming, per CF rules?

Not usually. We do have a rule against promoting or proselytizing beliefs other than Christianity, whereas the flaming rule is more for the insults, mocking against a member or group of members. As this is Christian Forums, you will likely see witnessing and preaching, but when it crosses the line into insults, mocking, belittling and personally attacking others, then its flaming.

Is there a problem with legitimate flaming, or too many reports that aren't actually flames?

As Sojourner1 said, we do have a legitiment issue with flaming in this forum. I'd go so far as to say I bet 90% of the reports we receive are for flaming and of those only about 5% are reports of that aren't actual violations. Usually folks are reluctant to report a post, and if they're doing so its cause its pretty clear its crossed the line into flaming. Unfortunately what often happens with flaming is others then jump on the bandwagon and flaming responses start and then we end up with threads that become major flame-fests.

Hitting the nail on the head. Some of us have had posts deleted for various reasons. Most are rather ambiguous reasons and the persons complaint is never revealed. So was there a complaint in the first place or is it a case of a Mod or Super-Mod having an axe to grind against us and using the rules as a means to an end?

If you've had a post deleted and you don't understand the reason, then contact us. It doesn't serve any purpose if you're having posts removed yet don't understand why, cause then you don't understand what to avoid when posting in the future.

There's no axe to grind. Staff is here on a voluntary basis to try to assist in helping make this area a civil place for discussion and debate. The purpose of this thread is to maybe, hopefully, open up dialogue and communication to bring about better understanding.

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
I wonder whether censorship can genuinely resolve this issue, though. At best, you can silence some of the most notorious offenders by banning them from participating in the discussion altogether, but that does not offer a solution to the causes of such animosities.

Basically, post-deletions and bans can do away with the symptoms, but not eliminate the conditions that allow such symptoms to show up in the first place.

How do we treat the causes, then? Good question! I won't pretend to know the answer to that one, but maybe it'd help if we really managed to see other posters as persons, as full-fledged human beings rather than just spokespeople of a religion or ideology that is at odds with our own, and thus - the "enemy".
I think it can only be resolved on an individual level, and I think censoring posts might even be detrimental to that. After all, some flamers will actually feel encouraged by that, puffing themselves up as if they were martyrs for their Cause.
"They won't let me speak the TRUTH", and something along that vein. I'd prefer discussing such things out, even if it means that I'll have to deal with personal attacks and insults. They'll never be utterly avoidable anyway - not if you're dealing with people who basically think that everyone who doesn't agree with them is on the LORD's personal hit list, and a covert satanist to boot.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.