Lets talk about the New Testament commandments (No Sabbath Talk Please)...

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
GDL said:
Yes, to each their own, as they say.

My preference & goal is to be comprehensive. Thus, all imperative mood commands (after stripping-out narrative) & other grammatical forms of commands, and then identifying anything that says we have a [correct] choice to make.

And, as an example, what are you doing with English translations that say, "Let us..."? These are 3rd person plural [explicit] commands that English translations make sound like suggestions. When I'm working on language like this, I normally clarify these commands with a translations such as, "we are commanded to..."

@GDL

I also like to be comphrehensive involving God's commands in the New Testament. I just have different labels for what you may call a command. In my opinion: Non-explicit commands would be things like...

“Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.” (Matthew 4:4).

As for “Let us” commands:

I do not take these as suggestions.
I have already added them to my list.

One example:

Let us not tempt Christ (1 Corinthians 10:9).

The word “us” includes both the writer (Paul) (and also the body of believers), and the intended reader being a believer. So it is speaking directly to the reader in the same way as if I used the words “you shall not.”

Side Note:

I try to keep the original wording in the English as much intact as possible.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
@GDL

I also like to be comphrehensive involving God's commands in the New Testament. I just have different labels for what you may call a command. In my opinion: Non-explicit commands would be things like...

“Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.” (Matthew 4:4).

As for “Let us” commands:

I do not take these as suggestions.
I have already added them to my list.

One example:

Let us not tempt Christ (1 Corinthians 10:9).

The word “us” includes both the writer (Paul) (and also the body of believers), and the intended reader being a believer. So it is speaking directly to the reader in the same way as if I used the words “you shall not.”

Side Note:

I try to keep the original wording in the English as much intact as possible.
Am I correct that you see things that Jesus did not say, such as your example of Paul, commandments?

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Am I correct that you see things that Jesus did not say, such as your example of Paul, commandments?

Obviously not answering for BH, but for myself:

1 Cor. 14:37 NKJ 37 If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things which I write to you are the commandments of the Lord.

1 Cor. 7:25 NKJ 25 Now concerning virgins: I have no commandment from the Lord; yet I give judgment as one whom the Lord in His mercy has made trustworthy.

A couple examples of why I normally take NT commands as authoritative - ultimately from Christ - of course, in context.

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Nicely stated.

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@GDL

OK, so I'll begin here, to better understand what your label means and what you're doing with commands such as these.

What do you mean by "non-explicit commands"?

When you encounter such commands, which I'm sure you know is a quote from Deut., what are you doing with them in regards to your list? IOW, what specifically do you plan to have on your list when "perfected"?

Thanks, BTW, for the discussion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Obviously not answering for BH, but for myself:

1 Cor. 14:37 NKJ 37 If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things which I write to you are the commandments of the Lord.

Thanks. You beat me to it. I was going to quote this verse to him.

You said:
1 Cor. 7:25 NKJ 25 Now concerning virgins: I have no commandment from the Lord; yet I give judgment as one whom the Lord in His mercy has made trustworthy.

A couple examples of why I normally take NT commands as authoritative - ultimately from Christ - of course, in context.

I used to hold to this interpretation. I think Paul here is simply saying that the Lord did not directly tell him, but Paul is still offering authorative Scriptural advice (inspired by God). This part of his words are still a part of authoritative Scripture inspired by God (See: 2 Timothy 3:16-17).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,461.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus had to refer to the OT commands as He was required to fulfil the OT Law.
On the cross the consequences of violating these OT commands was removed from believers yet His Law within them constraints them to walk in righteousness under the Law of the Spirit.

For this reason it is good to be reminded of the New Commandments pertaining to Love.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
OK, so I'll begin here, to better understand what your label means and what you're doing with commands such as these.

What do you mean by "non-explicit commands"?

When you encounter such commands, which I'm sure you know is a quote from Deut., what are you doing with them in regards to your list? IOW, what specifically do you plan to have on your list when "perfected"?

Thanks, BTW, for the discussion.

My main list is explicit commands (of which I call something else).

I created other category of commands (like non-explicit commands, commands given to specific individuals, etc.).

What do I mean by non-explicit commands?

I am saying that the language is speaking more from a third person perspective. Matthew 4:4 falls into this category. It says, “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.” (Matthew 4:4). The language here is not directly telling me the reader to do something, but it is speaking more in a non-direct way by mentioning the word “man” instead of “you” or “us” or, “we.”

As for Deuteronomy 8:3. I see this merely as a command that exists in the Old and has been repeated in the New Testament (or New Covenant). Seeing, my focus is the New Testament commands, I only refer to how it is written in the New and not the Old.

In fact, the New Testament improves upon some commands by giving us more added info. that is not found in the Old. Take for example the 1st greatest commandment. The full version of the 1st greatest commandment is found in Mark 12:29-30 (Which is considered the least of the 4 gospels, meaning “humble”).

Here is the passage for the FULL version of the 1st greatest commandment.

“Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.”
(Mark 12:29-30).

This is a five part instruction for the 1st greatest commandment. It is one command, but it has a five part way we can obey it.

Part #1. Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord,
Part #2. Love the Lord your God with all your heart,
Part #3. Love the Lord your God with all your soul,
Part #4. Love the Lord your God with all your mind,
Part #5. Love the Lord your God with all your strength.

What is interesting is that Deuteronomy 6, and Deuteronomy 10 does not mention Part #4 that says to love the Lord your God with all your mind. So this was an added improvement by our Lord in Mark 12:29-30.

As for what I will have on my list once perfected:

Well, I hope to have a written work available for free online for all to have once the work is perfected and I explain certain commands, etc.; Until then I like to keep the work under wraps until I am ready to share (Lord willing).

Reactions: Llleopard
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
'Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.'

So He said, 'Come.'

I find this one quite interesting...

This command is in my category list that is given to “specific individuals only.” But I am sure there are life applications to this verse (of course). I just see it as a command given only to Peter. But of course I can imagine others may see it differently (which is okay).

Blessings be unto you in the Lord today.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am fascinated my the choice of words - Peter didn't say invite me to come - he said command me to come.

This would seem to indicate his confidence in the authority of Jesus over all the established laws.

Well, I wouldn't say that this command was the greatest one. The 1st greatest commandment is fully listed for us in Mark 12:29-30. But we can agree to disagree in love and respect.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@GDL

I do not agree that the 4th commandment was carried over into the New Testament. I know. I did a study on the New Testament commands from Matthew to Revelation. There is no list of sins with the breaking of the Sabbath included. There is no explicit or non-explict commands for the Saturday Sabbath. In addition,

Colossians 2 says,

Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;” (Colossians 2:14).​

We learn in the OT that the weekly Sabbath is inferred as being an ordinance in

Isaiah 58.

“Yet they seek me daily, and delight to know my ways, as a nation that did righteousness, and forsook not the ordinance of their God...” (Isaiah 58:2).​

If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight,...” (Isaiah 58:13).​

How was the weekly sabbath (Which is an ordinance) against us? Well, the OT talks about how a man was killed for collecting sticks on the weekly sabbath.

Colossians 2:16 says,

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:” (Colossians 2:16).​

This verse is saying we are not to let others judge us in regards to whether or not we keep Sabbaths days. This means that the Sabbath is no longer binding because the Saturday Sabbath would be included in the list of the different kinds of Sabbaths (like the yearly Sabbath, etc.). Thus, the 4th commandment in Exodus 20 in the Old Covenant is no longer binding. We are under a New Covenant with New Commands. Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed.

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0