usa
✟8,850.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Oh, I don't care, any port in a storm.
You got to take what you can get.
Sometimes Science has very little to offer.

why dontyou just recite "twinkle twinkle little star"?

it would have the same level of relevance as any of your other 'responses" here.

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I do not have any problem with Religion.
But I know people that do not like religion.
They want a relationship with the God that created them.

And that applies to the adherents of many religions.

I know it's popular to play the usual semantic game of "Christianity isn't a religion, it's a relationship" - really, if Christianity were so obviously the true faith, it wouldn't need to resort to one-upmanship games involving wordplay.

In other words, it doesn't offer much - as I originally pointed out.

Upvote 0
J

Jazer

sheesh. you present that you know so much, are you now denying it? if so good.
Seems like you spend half your time claiming no one knows anything. Then you complain when someone claims to know something.

When I was growing up science said we know 3% of all there is to know. Now Science says we know 4.3% of all there is to know. So I guess we are all making progress.

They say the same for Archeology and the scientific recorded history that verifys the Bible. Very little of it has been discovered. During the 1000 year reign of Christ they will have a golden age of discovery. We can only dream about the knowledge and understanding they will have.

If anyone actually knew more, it would be less then one tenth of one percent or of all there was to know. Or what if it were a billioneth. What if you knew a billioneth more?

Paul in the Bible was given knowledge.
Along with that he was given a thorn.

7 And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. 8 Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. 9 And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Upvote 0
J

Jazer

wordplay.

In other words, it doesn't offer much - as I originally pointed out.
Perhaps Christians do not have much to offer. We are told that God will use the foolish to shame the wise. "For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God."

26For consider your calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble; 27but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong, 28and the base things of the world and the despised God has chosen, the things that are not, so that He may nullify the things that are, 29so that no man may boast before God. 30But by His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption, 31so that, just as it is written, “LET HIM WHO BOASTS, BOAST IN THE LORD.”

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Perhaps Christians do not have much to offer.

Certainly not when resorting to wordgames and evasion.

We are told that God will use the foolish to shame the wise.

Anytime they want to start, they can go ahead.

Upvote 0
J

Jazer

it would have the same level of relevance as any of your other 'responses" here.
Did I tell you this story? After a week the doctors decided to bring me out of my coma. Then they evaluated me and had a talk with my brother. The doctor said my mind jumps all over the place and he wanted to send me for treatment. My brother said he has always been that way. So they said ok, and sent me home. I wonder why they revived me, but they did. My brother and my wife want to keep me around.

Upvote 0

Hespera

Dec 16, 2008
usa
✟8,850.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Seems like you spend half your time claiming no one knows anything. Then you complain when someone claims to know something.

When I was growing up science said we know 3% of all there is to know. Now Science says we know 4.3% of all there is to know. So I guess we are all making progress.

They say the same for Archeology and the scientific recorded history that verifys the Bible. Very little of it has been discovered. During the 1000 year reign of Christ they will have a golden age of discovery. We can only dream about the knowledge and understanding they will have.

If anyone actually knew more, it would be less then one tenth of one percent or of all there was to know. Or what if it were a billioneth. What if you knew a billioneth more?

7 And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. 8 Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. 9 And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

not so at all.

IF you went to a school where they told you this kind of weird nonsense, it explains a lot. my sympathies.
They say the same for Archeology and the scientific recorded history that verifys the Bible. Very little of it has been discovered. During the 1000 year reign of Christ they will have a golden age of discovery. We can only dream about the knowledge and understanding they will have

So YOU say, with as usual, facts not in evidence

Upvote 0

Hespera

Dec 16, 2008
usa
✟8,850.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Did I tell you this story? After a week the doctors decided to bring me out of my coma. Then they evaluated me and had a talk with my brother. The doctor said my mind jumps all over the place and he wanted to send me for treatment. My brother said he has always been that way. So they said ok, and sent me home. I wonder why they revived me, but they did. My brother and my wife want to keep me around.

Again, my sympathy, and I will not disturb you further.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟913,148.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

Uh. I am doubting science said any such thing. They would have to know what "All there is to know" is in order to quantify it. Since we have no idea how much "All there is to know" actually constitutes it would be rather hard to come up with a percentage. :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hespera

Dec 16, 2008
usa
✟8,850.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Uh. I am doubting science said any such thing. They would have to know what "All there is to know" is in order to quantify it. Since we have no idea how much "All there is to know" actually constitutes it would be rather hard to come up with a percentage. :wave:

Even if some rather demented person made this odd satement to students it hardly makes it an accurate representation of anything about science. Other than the spelling of the word, 'science".

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Snowball earth is a controversial theory. The main problem is getting back out of it would be very difficult.

No. To me, the hard part is that it seems people suggested that it only happened once (?). Very few things on the earth which only happened just once.

Upvote 0
J

Jazer

No. To me, the hard part is that it seems people suggested that it only happened once (?). Very few things on the earth which only happened just once.
They say it happened three times. One of the science stations has a program covering the snowball earth theory. Which makes me wonder are all scientific theorys controversal, or just the ones they put on TV?

Upvote 0
J

Jazer

IF you went to a school where they told you this kind of weird nonsense, it explains a lot.
I got it from the science channel.
I did not write the book, it is not my theory.
Makes me wonder if you believe in any science at all.

41SZvSe1ZEL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Upvote 0

Hespera

Dec 16, 2008
usa
✟8,850.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private

41SZvSe1ZEL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

this is your original statement...

They say the same for Archeology and the scientific recorded history that verifys the Bible...

so now you got it from science channel, not when you were growing up, and you show the cover of a book that in no way remotely is about those things.

But look I was going to leave you to your ideas, so, you know, lets just drop it. Carry on, i wish you well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

That book is making a claim about the distribution of matter and dark matter in the universe, not our level of knowledge of everything. Perhaps you confused the claim with something else.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
They say it happened three times. One of the science stations has a program covering the snowball earth theory. Which makes me wonder are all scientific theorys controversal, or just the ones they put on TV?

OK, info in Wikipedia shows they all took place in the NeoProterozoic time period and was a consequence linked to some possible dramatic environmental change between the Cambrian-PreCambrian transition.

I think the detail in the model is fine and is probably reasonable. The only required result is that the tropical area get frozen, but not necessary the whole earth get frozen. My point is that a frozen tropic does NOT have to be caused by a global freeze. It is an obvious idea that the current tropical region was not at the tropics before. And the key idea is that the shift of crust on earth could be pretty fast, much faster than that suggested by the mainstream tectonic model. And that would make a limited-area continental glacier appeared in tropical area possible. For example, to shift the Greenland to low latitude area in one(?) year.

Upvote 0
J

Jazer

The only required result is that the tropical area get frozen, but not necessary the whole earth get frozen.
Of course you still have the life generated by undersea volcanos. The CO2 had to come from somewhere, then photosynthesis converted it. Humans are mostly Oxygen (65%) Carbon (18%) Hydrogen (10%)

article-1177886-04D457A6000005DC-240_634x393.jpg

1. Oxygen (65%)
  2. Carbon (18%)
  3. Hydrogen (10%)
  4. Nitrogen (3%)
  5. Calcium (1.5%)
  6. Phosphorus (1.0%)
  7. Potassium (0.35%)
  8. Sulfur (0.25%)
  9. Sodium (0.15%)
  10. Magnesium (0.05%)
  11. Copper, Zinc, Selenium, Molybdenum, Fluorine, Chlorine, Iodine, Manganese, Cobalt, Iron (0.70%)
  12. Lithium, Strontium, Aluminum, Silicon, Lead, Vanadium, Arsenic, Bromine (trace amounts)

Upvote 0