✟12,864.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
"In matters of conscience, the law of majority has no place." - Mahandas Gandhi

Perhaps we do need to DEEPLY ACKNOWLEDGE AND TAKE MOMENTS OUT TO REFLECT DAILY higher spiritual laws of divine eternal light & the divine spiritual mysteries of womenhood, motherhood & everlasting true & holy love ---- by honoring Christ's holy love for us in honor to Mary, His Mother, and all of motherhood.

I know many mother's & women would love to hear this words even its just once a year :

"Sometimes you need to hear it ----You are a phenomenal woman, O BEAUTIFUL MOTHER , doing an extraordinary job, making things happen for those you LOVE, and although you may not always feel it ----
YOU ARE VERY LOVED AND APPRECIATED." ----

Upvote 0

moonkitty

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2006
✟16,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Perhaps we do need to DEEPLY ACKNOWLEDGE AND TAKE MOMENTS OUT TO REFLECT DAILY higher spiritual laws of divine eternal light & the divine spiritual mysteries of womenhood, motherhood & everlasting true & holy love ---- by honoring Christ's holy love for us in honor to Mary, His Mother, and all of motherhood.

I know many mother's & women would love to hear this words even its just once a year :

"Sometimes you need to hear it ----You are a phenomenal woman, O BEAUTIFUL MOTHER , doing an extraordinary job, making things happen for those you LOVE, and although you may not always feel it ----

:confused: So we should wish people a happy mother's day on Christmas?

/is confused.....

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I'm not sure how well that would be received by childless women.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP

And what about the too-many women who are not phenomenal, who are poor mothers doing a horrible job of parenting, who are feared and despised by their children? I'm sure they'd love to hear the above as well. Should they be told such things if they are patently false?

Upvote 0

freespirit2001

Contributor
Dec 3, 2003
Eastern Shore off the Chesapeake Bay, Md
Visit site
✟12,864.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
About that Anti-Christ Christmas-Profit-Margin MARKET WARFARE ------ & its socio-political-economic side-effects and by-products of corruption ...

Has anyone noticed the kind of subliminal messaging of & about occult-based belief systems in the media's drug-pushing advertising ??? .... that openly operates with its closed-society powers against the rights of the public trust to protest in our light-energy technologies on the mass media ???

... If I have to watch holiday advertising on TV .... or TV at all anymore --- the corporate powers that be appear to be targeting older men with their drug-advertising commericals and side-effects xxxx...

"Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth and easy, or that anyone who embarks on the strange voyage can measure the tides and hurricanes he will encounter. The statesman who yields to war fever must realize that once the signal is given, he is no longer the master of policy but slave of unforeseeable and uncontrollable events."

- Sir Winston Churchhill
:priest:

Upvote 0

freespirit2001

Contributor
Dec 3, 2003
Eastern Shore off the Chesapeake Bay, Md
Visit site
✟12,864.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
And what about the too-many women who are not phenomenal, who are poor mothers doing a horrible job of parenting, who are feared and despised by their children? I'm sure they'd love to hear the above as well. Should they be told such things if they are patently false?
These are very evil and goading times in the socio-political environments ... The Lord knows those who are his ... "But God's firm foundation stands, bearing this seal : "The Lord knows those who are His," and, "Let every one who names the name of the Lord depart from Iniquity." 2 Timothy 2:19

Upvote 0

JESUS<3sYOU

Sverige är bäst!
Jun 30, 2010
✟8,200.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Hilarious. "The commercial, materialized corruption of any religious meaning in the holiday BETTER be labeled with the correct religious terms! We'll be consumerist sheep so long as you appease us by telling us it's religious!"

^That's a very good point, I think. You're looking to the heart of the matter, I believe.

Because, not specifically calling it Christmas calls into question our status as a Christian society.
Okay, so I take from comments you made following that post that you were joking? Nevertheless, that same argument is often heard nowadays not just in America but elsewhere as well. It's the idea that our countries are Christian, that as I've observed is often abused for political purposes. The question of whether our countries are really Christian or not is conveniently overlooked, of course.

Ther is one huge difference. An employee while working is a representative of their employeer. The one paying their salary is entitled to make reasonable demands regarding their conduct.

On the first cut I'd be inclined to say that employees should only use neutral greetings unless they are sure of the customers beliefs. But I can see problems with mistakes and employees not realizing other employees that are saying Merry Christmas may know the customer.
I agree. When you mentioned Odin earlier, were you joking? If not, where on earth do people salute Odin at Yule? And who are the "we" who are looking to "reclaim" such customs? What is the context of all that? I don't get it. I just made a post in another thread where I contested the idea that non-Christian elements of Christmas celebrations are rooted in ancient paganism:

http://www.christianforums.com/t7507897-10/#post56180171

Also (to the thread initiator and anyone else whom it may concern), the AFA link was reported "broken" when I tried to follow it. I don't assume that it is the Amateur Football Alliance that we're dealing with here and I'm a little bit interested in seeing who's behind the campaign if indeed it is authentic. Does anyone know what AFA stands for and does anyone have a better link? (I already tried trimming the URL but the domain did not respond.)

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Also (to the thread initiator and anyone else whom it may concern), the AFA link was reported "broken" when I tried to follow it. I don't assume that it is the Amateur Football Alliance that we're dealing with here and I'm a little bit interested in seeing who's behind the campaign if indeed it is authentic. Does anyone know what AFA stands for and does anyone have a better link? (I already tried trimming the URL but the domain did not respond.)

I believe it's the American Family Aassociation. http://www.afa.net/

Reactions: JESUS<3sYOU
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Here's where I have a disconnect. When you are wishing someone a happy/merry whatever, you are wishing it for them, not you. What you celebrate is basically irrelevant. Like when it's someone's birthday. You are wishing them a happy birthday on the day they were born. What day you were born doesn't matter. People don't usually go around saying happy birthday to others when it is their birthday.

If a Jewish clerk wished you happy Hannukah, would you feel like they were wishing anything towards you? Or towards themself?

Well, that's why I wish them a Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays. I really wish they have a Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays. I don't celebrate Hanukkah or Kwanzaa, so I'm not necessarily thinking about those as holidays.

On the flip side of that, I would never get offended if someone wished me a Happy Hanukkah, even if I was wearing a crucifix and WWJD bracelet. ;)

I think you highlighted the basic underlying selfishness behind the AFA and their supporters. It's not about actually wishing anyone a happy or merry anything. It is about wanting everyone to celebrate their religious ideology and refusing to accept anything thing or anyone else who doesn't.

With the AFA, yes, I believe you are hitting the nail on the head.

But please make sure not to lump everyone who likes to say Merry Christmas in with them. (Not saying you are, but just a caution, that's all)

And this is why I will generally use Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas because I have no clue what the person across the counter or sitting next to me on the bus celebrates, just like I wouldn't know for sure if someone was a mom or not, or even a good mom.

On a side note, perhaps terrible moms are terrible in part because they never receive encouragement. Just sayin'.

Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, let the war begin against those who think that they can dictate humanist antigod philosophies in our country. We americans are sick of it. People were already saying Merry Christmas-then the antichristians stepped in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JESUS<3sYOU

Sverige är bäst!
Jun 30, 2010
✟8,200.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
I believe it's the American Family Aassociation. http://www.afa.net/
Thanks, I found this information on the who-is page:

American Family Association (AFA) a non-profit 501(c3) organization was founded in 1977 by Donald E. Wildmon, who was pastoring First United Methodist Church in Southaven, Mississippi, at the time. Click here for an article entitled "Special AFA Anniversary Extra". For 32 years, Wildmon has been on the frontlines of America’s culture war. See article "Courageous crusader, single-minded servant, humble hero". The original name of the ministry was National Federation for Decency but was changed to American Family Association (AFA) in 1988.

Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Personally, I think the AFA needs to encourage people to quit shopping for themselves and their own and get back to the true tradition which is about giving alms to the needy. Excess greed and materialism is an extreme bastardization of giving to the poor- which is exactly what St. Nicholas the Bishop of Myra did- gave away his wealth to the poor.

Exactly!

Upvote 0

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yes, let the war begin against those who think that they can dictate humanist antigod philosophies in our country. We americans are sick of it. People were already saying Merry Christmas-then the antichristians stepped in.
Salida, if you don't know by now, you should know that The War on Christmas is a joke. No one is trying to stop you from having a Christ-filled Christmas. You are free to say, "Merry Christmas!" to your hearts desire. The persecution you feel is imagined.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Well, in all fairness, you got that a little backwards.

Remember, Christianity "adopted" Christmas in order to take the focus off the pagan holidays.

It is widely accepted that Jesus was not born in December.

Upvote 0

JESUS<3sYOU

Sverige är bäst!
Jun 30, 2010
✟8,200.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Well, in all fairness, you got that a little backwards.

Remember, Christianity "adopted" Christmas in order to take the focus off the pagan holidays.

It is widely accepted that Jesus was not born in December.
What is widely accepted as far as I know is that birthdays were not celebrated until um some time in the 4th century A.D. was it?

Do you think that Pascha is also not a Christian Feast because it could be seen as an elaboration of fertility and/or life cults and various stories about gods and halfgods that were resurrected? Or what is it specifically that makes Christmas so vulnerable to arguments of that sort?

Upvote 0