Snickers fights back

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
So you don't have to...got it.
That's the nice thing about paying social security: when I do that, I am contributing to supporting the needy.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟692,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Another volley in Biden's war on snack food companies, and the Americans who make them.

No word yet whether the administration will retaliate with nukes and F-15's

I bought a bag of fun size Snickers today, in their honor.

When I worked graveyard shift, every night at last break (around 4am) I ate a Snickers candy bar and a drank a Mountain Dew.

That combo is like a natural (or unnatural as the case may be...lol) pick me up for that last surge of energy to finish up the shift on a high note...

Any company who knows anything keeps those two items in the vending machines and they don't run out.

No other combination does the same thing. Has to be that combo .. don't know why, but when your falling asleep on your feet and need to wake up it's awesome... Lol

Who cares what Biden says. Snickers is awesome and we aren't giving up our candy anytime soon.

I'm happy to give up Biden, however. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: RoBo1988
Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟265,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
When I worked graveyard shift, every night at last break (around 4am) I ate a Snickers candy bar and a drank a Mountain Dew.

That combo is like a natural (or unnatural as the case may be...lol) pick me up for that last surge of energy to finish up the shift on a high note...

Any company who knows anything keeps those two items in the vending machines and they don't run out.

No other combination does the same thing. Has to be that combo .. don't know why, but when your falling asleep on your feet and need to wake up it's awesome... Lol

Who cares what Biden says. Snickers is awesome and we aren't giving up our candy anytime soon.

I'm happy to give up Biden, however. :) He probably has a difficult time opening chips.

Biden is complaining about Snickers making their candy bar smaller and selling it to you for the same price as before. I would think someone who enjoyed Snickers would have a similar complaint. Instead you appear so consumed with hatred of Biden that you want to be ripped off by a candy bar company to spite Biden.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟692,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Biden is complaining about Snickers making their candy bar smaller and selling it to you for the same price as before. I would think someone who enjoyed Snickers would have a similar complaint. Instead you appear are so consumed with hatred of Biden that you want to be ripped off by a candy bar company to spite Biden.

When inflation occurs, companies at some point have a choice, make a smaller package for the same price, or raise the price.

Some companies have chosen to make the package smaller, especially in the beginning of inflation - it actually started with ice cream a long time ago - whereas other companies have chosen a mixture (for instance with Stauffers frozen lasagna you can buy the same size for more money or get a smaller size for the same price)

Because I'm not 5 y/o and have a basic grasp of economics and have lived through 2 decades of fairly sharp inflation across various industries, I don't judge companies nor is anyone lying.

If anyone can't read a label that's on the education system not on a corporation. They aren't lying to anyone.

What Biden did is to try and pretend corporations are to blame for inflation and not the government. He's passing the buck as if Americans are stupid.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,733.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm happy to give up Biden, however. :) He probably has a difficult time opening chips.

Lol. I used to do the same thing with a diet coke (Pepsi didn't work) and a bag of peanut M&M's.

I gave that up a few years ago, in lieu of healthier choices.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Biden is complaining about Snickers making their candy bar smaller and selling it to you for the same price as before. I would think someone who enjoyed Snickers would have a similar complaint. Instead you appear so consumed with hatred of Biden that you want to be ripped off by a candy bar company to spite Biden.
That attitude pretty much sums up modern conservatism.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yep. It is amusing that up to the speech we had complaints about how wrong Biden was because world-wide inflation post-Covid was a thing. But now that Biden has recently talked about this inflation, were learning who wrong Biden is to call out this inflation.

Seems like the only constant is that no matter what happens, Biden is wrong.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Yep. It is amusing that up to the speech we had complaints about how wrong Biden was because world-wide inflation post-Covid was a thing. But now that Biden has recently talked about this inflation, were learning who wrong Biden is to call out this inflation.

Seems like the only constant is that no matter what happens, Biden is wrong.
Reminds me of when Trump touted the Covid-19 vaccine (even against the resistance of many of his supporters) and the democratic party used everything in their arsenal to cast doubt on it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Reminds me of when Trump touted the Covid-19 vaccine (even against the resistance of many of his supporters) and the democratic party used everything in their arsenal to cast doubt on it.
Was that before or after the trials were completed showing that it was effective and safe. I remember a few people saying not to trust Mr. Trump at his word (for obvious reasons) but not many saying that the medical research was bad simply because it happened during his term.

Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,733.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When inflation occurs, companies at some point have a choice, make a smaller package for the same price, or raise the price.

Some companies have chosen to make the package smaller, especially in the beginning of inflation - it actually started with ice cream a long time ago - whereas other companies have chosen a mixture (for instance with Stauffers frozen lasagna you can buy the same size for more money or get a smaller size for the same price)

Because I'm not 5 y/o and have a basic grasp of economics and have lived through 2 decades of fairly sharp inflation across various industries, I don't judge companies nor is anyone lying.

If anyone can't read a label that's on the education system not on a corporation. They aren't lying to anyone.

What Biden did is to try and pretend corporations are to blame for inflation and not the government. He's passing the buck as if Americans are stupid.

Don't kid yourself. Corporations are contributing to inflation by keeping their retail price high even while their supply chain cost have declined.

• Agree
Reactions: Elliewaves
Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,733.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

A decision to change packaging would not be entered into lightly - changing containers, and labeling would involve a significant expense

• Agree
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Don't kid yourself. Corporations are contributing to inflation by keeping their retail price high even while their supply chain cost have declined.
Its also stupid consumers who will continue to pay for garbage like Snickers and Frappucinos even as prices rise. They are failing to send downward price signals back to the producer.

Same with gas prices. US drivers keep buying these absurd gigantic vehicles.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,733.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its also stupid consumers who will continue to pay for garbage like Snickers and Frappucinos even as prices rise. They are failing to send downward price signals back to the producer.

Same with gas prices. US drivers keep buying these absurd gigantic vehicles.
So the government should control behavior thru inflation and taxation?

Edit to add: I have never been to a Starbucks, I drink Black coffee, and I own a 2wd half ton pickup

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟692,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A decision to change packaging would not be entered into lightly - changing containers, and labeling would involve a significant expense

Yet when costs go up (for instance the cocoa bean shortages we are experiencing or dramatic increases in the starting wages of employees) it sometimes does need to be done, especially when expenses won't be going down.

Changing the package sizes used to make customers happier than an increase in price.

Right now with some food products I'm seeing both an increase in price as well as a change in some package sizing.

But no, I imagine these aren't small decisions.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So the government should control behavior thru inflation and taxation?
Sounds like you think thats the natural conclusion from what I said. But I was just invoking some basic market principles.

That said..... I do think the govt should use taxation to reduce demand for certain goods that are actually bads, so to speak. Like cigarettes, for example. I can also see using taxation to recoup funds to deal with negative externalities (like pollution) that the market cant really build into prices.

Upvote 0

7thKeeper

Scion of the Devonian Sea
Jul 8, 2006
Finland
✟108,792.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
IMO, Biden was using the shrinking Snickers bar to illustrate a larger point: Large corporations are fleecing the consumer.

[excerpt from SOU]

In fact, the snack companies think you won’t notice if they change the size of the bag and put a hell of a lot fewer — same size bag — put fewer chips in it. No I’m not joking. It’s called shrinkflation.

"Pass Bobby Casey’s bill and stop this. I really mean it.

You probably all saw that commercial on Snickers bars. You get charged the same amount and you got about, I don’t know, 10 percent fewer Snickers in it.
Look, I’m also getting rid of junk fees, those hidden fees at the end of your bill that are there without your knowledge. My administration announced we’re cutting credit card late fees from $32 to $8."

What is in Sen Bob Casey's Bill?

The Price Gouging Prevention Act specifically would:
  • Prohibit price gouging at the federal level – anytime and anywhere. The proposed bill would clarify that price gouging is an unfair and deceptive practice under the FTC Act. It would allow the FTC and state attorneys general to stop sellers from charging a grossly excessive price, regardless of where the price gouging occurs in a supply chain or distribution network.
  • Create an affirmative defense for small businesses acting in good faith. Small and local businesses sometimes must raise prices in response to crisis-driven increases in their costs because they have little negotiating power with their price-gouging suppliers. This affirmative defense protects small businesses earning less than $100 million from unjustified litigation if they show legitimate cost increases.
  • Target dominant companies that have exploited the pandemic to boost profits. The bill would create a rebuttable presumption of price gouging against firms that exercise unfair leverage and companies that brag about increasing prices during periods of inflation.
  • Require public companies to clearly disclose costs and pricing strategies. During periods of exceptional market shock, the bill requires public companies to transparently disclose and explain changes in their cost of goods sold, gross margins, and pricing strategies in their quarterly SEC filings.
  • Provide additional funding to the FTC. The bill appropriates $1 billion in funding to the FTC to carry out its work.
Out of curiosity, does the federal law (or state law in any states) require for the companies and sellers to put up not just the per unit price but also state a per kilo (or whatever unit would be the correct one) for the product as well, so that it can be easily compared to others?

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

They don't make the package smaller, just the contents.

I remember way back in the late 60s, Mad Magazine did a piece on the shrinking contents of candy. I don't know why it made such an impression on me that I still remember it - maybe it was the first time I encountered a consumer expose.

• Informative
Upvote 0