Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The more I think about it that is a great exercise, but I already know what they are going to do. They will focus on one aspect and ignore all the rest of the obvious facts.

Creationist example: Sure, one is a club, one is a heart, one is a diamond, and one is a spade; but a four is still a four, etc., etc., etc.....

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
As an illustration of how cladistics works (or doesn't work in this case) I would like to challenge a creationist to put playing cards into categories based on the differences between the cards.

Any takers?

By color? By pattern?
What is the trick?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
As an illustration of how cladistics works (or doesn't work in this case) I would like to challenge a creationist to put playing cards into categories based on the differences between the cards.

Any takers?
I would go for the cateories that will give me a royal flush :)

Acts 12:21 And upon a set day Herod, arrayed in royal apparel, sat upon his throne and made an oration unto them.
22 And the people gave a shout, [saying, "It is] the voice of a god, and not of a man".
23 And immediately the angel of the Lord smote him, because he gave not God the glory: and he was eaten of worms, and gave up the ghost.

images

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I want you to organize them into groups based on their differences. You can pick any differences that you like.
52 cards and 2 jokers.

The difference is 52 inanimate objects (viz., spades, hearts, diamonds & clubs) and 2 scientists.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
52 cards and 2 jokers.

The difference is 52 inanimate objects (viz., spades, hearts, diamonds & clubs) and 2 scientists.

Inanimate is a characteristic that the objects share. Being scientists is what those two people share. I didn't ask for you to organize the cards into groups based on what they share. I am asking for groups based on differences. This is how creationists claim that they organize species, so I am asking for creationists to do the same thing with cards which is less controversial. Other discussions get bogged down on preconceptions where they relate to biology. I am using objects where no such preconceptions exist in order to move the discussion along.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by Loudmouth I want you to organize them into groups based on their differences. You can pick any differences that you like.
52 cards and 2 jokers.

ROFL :D ^_^

19980429.jpg

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Inanimate is a characteristic that the objects share. Being scientists is what those two people share. I didn't ask for you to organize the cards into groups based on what they share. I am asking for groups based on differences. This is how creationists claim that they organize species, so I am asking for creationists to do the same thing with cards which is less controversial. Other discussions get bogged down on preconceptions where they relate to biology. I am using objects where no such preconceptions exist in order to move the discussion along.
I'm sorry then ... I don't understand exactly what it is you're looking for.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's right there in the opening post . . . "put playing cards into categories based on the differences between the cards."
1. Spades, Hears, Clubs, Diamonds?
2. Red cards / black cards?
3. Euchre deck?
4. Odd numbers / even numbers?

I'm lost.

Cladistics is good for separating falcons and eagles in a zoo by diet or vaccinations, but as far as playing cards ... well ... I'm lost.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
1. Spades, Hears, Clubs, Diamonds?
2. Red cards / black cards?
3. Euchre deck?
4. Odd numbers / even numbers?

No, those are shared characteristics. I am asking for you to group cards based on their differences.

I'm lost.

A little hint . . . that's kind of the point.

Cladistics is good for separating falcons and eagles in a zoo by diet or vaccinations, but as far as playing cards ... well ... I'm lost.

So how do you determine if a bird belongs to the falcon group based on differences?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So how do you determine if a bird belongs to the falcon group based on differences?
Well, if you stick falcons in with eagles, and the falcons are getting sick all the time, then you might want to check to see if the falcons can handle the diet that the eagles can; or if giving them both the same vaccinations is detrimental to one and not the other.

Check their feces, while you're at it too -- (and I'm not being funny).

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hey Phil, didn't you have a thread on the now defunct GA board concerning a deck of cards challenge [also a bicycle challenge]?

Anywho, here is another card challenge thread ehehehe :)

http://www.christianforums.com/t6741220/
My [playing card] Challenge

Originally Posted by dantose A guy deals out 5 cards face down. He tells you that he knows it's a royal flush of spades. He then places the cards back in the deck and throws them into an incinerator. When asked how he knows, he says he read in a book that everytime 5 cards aren't looked at or otherwise determined, they are a royal flush of spades
I would get another deck of cards, deal five cards face down, then look at the other forty-seven cards. The first time a 10, J, Q, K,or A of Spades appeared, your book has been pwned.
But a second deck is not in the challenge as given.
you changing the rules now ?

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Well, if you stick falcons in with eagles,

The question is how you determine if a bird is a falcon or an eagle to begin with. That is what I am addressing with the playing cards. Creationists claim that they are creating groups by comparing differences. I am asking them to use these same criteria to group cards as an exersize.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No, those are shared characteristics. I am asking for you to group cards based on their differences.

A little hint . . . that's kind of the point.

Classification of anything is done based on a set of criteria. Those fit the criteria will be in one group and those don't will be in another group. So you are looking at neither similarity nor differences (you do not compare them). You are looking for the characters of each individual.

There is a group of people called creationist. They are human too. Then why do you call them creationist?

Upvote 0