Visit site
✟10,999.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Last Nativity was my first serious attempt at a long fast, and I discovered a magic ingredient which makes any food taste great: hunger. ;)

You ain't kidding. Nothing makes you appreciate food more than going without it for a while.

Upvote 0

Monica child of God 1

strives to live eschatologically
Feb 4, 2005
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Would a Blendtec be worth the money?

The only way I would invest that kind of money in a blender is if I were to really commit to a mostly raw diet. Raw foodists process a lot of their food and don't spend much on energy since they aren't heating the food, so I think it would balance out. Raw food is too time consuming for me to seriously consider it for most of my diet right now.

M.

Upvote 0

Blackknight

Servant of God
Jan 21, 2009
Jackson, MI
Visit site
✟10,999.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The only way I would invest that kind of money in a blender is if I were to really commit to a mostly raw diet.

Yeah, I don't think I can justify spending that much just for making the occasional hummus or margaritas.

Upvote 0

Khaleas

Also known as Jenn the Finn :)
Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I made this without any of the veggies and used half a packet of regular linguine. SUPER tasty and a nice change for the pasta and tomato sauce. The red pepper seems like a little but it spreads nicely thoughtout the sauce (I'm thinking thanks to the vinegar). Made the sauce as soon as the water started going and let it sit and mingle until the pasta was done.

Noodles With Spicy Peanut Sauce
Recipe By :Weight Watchers Versatile Vegetarian (4 to 5 pts)
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : lowfat Pasta
Vegetarian Weight Watchers

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
6 ounces linguine --
2 tablespoons white vinegar -- distilled
2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter -- natural
2 teaspoons grated gingerroot
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 garlic clove -- crushed
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 cucumber -- cut into thin strips
1 red bell pepper -- seeded,thinly sliced
4 scallions -- thinly sliced

Cook the linguine according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the vinegar, peanut butter, ginger, vegetable oil, garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, pepper flakes and 1 tablespoon water. Add the linguine; toss to coat. Add the cucumber and bell pepper; toss again. Sprinkle with the scallions.

Reactions: Coralie
Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If you get hungry tired, etc. after a carb heavy breakfast check out some info on the Glycemic Index. It was one of the things that helped me lose weight, but since then i also find it keeps me in line during the fasts. During previous fasts I would get sooooo hungry because I would eat a lot of simple carbs that get digested way too quickly, causing spikes and crashes in blood sugar levels and all the associated problems.

Personally I tend to eat Oat Bran (Not oatmeal, there's a difference) which is very filling, but you have to add flavor (You can go savory or sweet). I usually don't get hungry for a while after a bowl of that. Some people don't like the consistency, but it's worth getting down. Most meals I eat are accompanied with a handful of nuts, they add protein but the fats also slow down digestion.

Yes, I also have reactive hypoglycemia which is often a precursor to diabetes. My sister and brother have already progressed to full blown diabetes after years of reactive hypoglycemia. My blood sugar is now under control through diet since I try to avoid all sweets.

To avoid the sugar spikes, I will have a handful of nuts (pecans, almonds, or walnuts), or veggies during the day. My aunt introduced me to red bell peppers (which is actually a fruit), but this produce is wonderful as a snack. It does have natural sugar, but it does not give that sugar spike.

I slice or dice the bell pepper and eat it plain or put it into a veggie wrap:

Veggie Wrap
One whole wheat lavash flat bread
Spread with mashed avocados, use an olive spread, or hummus
Place about 4 to 6 leaves of Romaine Lettuce at one end
Slice or dice some red bell peppers or tomatoes
Add some finely grated carrots, and/or red onions
Finish up with sliced tofu or another lenten "cheese"
Cooked brown rice and lentils can also be spread onto the lavash bread

Roll up the wrap starting with the lettuce leaves

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ramon96

Eastern Orthodox Christian
Nov 4, 2006
NY, NY
Visit site
✟8,086.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Anyone here follows the Primal Blueprint/Paleo lifestyle while still keeping with the Lenten Fast? It so dreadful (lol) for us. But seriously, at the end of the fast, you feel so much love for meat/eggs! I already got a 16 ounce 100% local grass-fed rib eye steak in the freezer waiting for sweet daddy after lent! LOL!

Anyway, today I had veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, red/green peppers, mushrooms, & onions) fried in lots of coconut oil with a mashed hass avocado (with Macadamia nuts) in the side for lunch (I skipped breakfast, love Intermittent Fasting)

About 38 grams of carbohydrates, and about 95 grams of fat. Not bad from a Primal perspective! LOL!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Anyone here follows the Primal Blueprint/Paleo lifestyle while still keeping with the Lenten Fast? It so dreadful (lol) for us. But seriously, at the end of the fast, you feel so much love for meat/eggs! I already got a 16 ounce 100% local grass-fed rib eye steak in the freezer waiting for sweet daddy after lent! LOL!

Anyway, today I had veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, red/green peppers, mushrooms, & onions) fried in lots of coconut oil with a mashed hass avocado (with Macadamia nuts) in the side for lunch (I skipped breakfast, love Intermittent Fasting)

About 38 grams of carbohydrates, and about 95 grams of fat. Not bad from a Primal perspective! LOL!

I do not care for meat as it is but eat it as my family likes it :D...
I just made a huge pot of bean soup...:D...

The spaghetti is a permanent fixture... in my fridge too ..:D

that is how we survive the lent.. We cannot do cheese though...We will fall flat on our faces... Tried and was unable... so we keep it in. We still are :grumpy, weak and sleepy at least I am no matter how much coffee I try to drink..... But it does makes us conscious of our spiritual state and that is ALL around great :liturgy::liturgy::liturgy:

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone tried one tablespoon of organic apple cider in one glass of pure apple juice?

That really has staying power. I can sip one mouthful periodically and that one glass will last me four hours. I do not crave any food for hours after that beverage.

Upvote 0

musicluvr83

Mar 6, 2010
✟8,320.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Has anyone tried one tablespoon of organic apple cider in one glass of pure apple juice?

That really has staying power. I can sip one mouthful periodically and that one glass will last me four hours. I do not crave any food for hours after that beverage.

Really?! Never tried it, but it makes sense seeing as how I like to eat apples and they seem to keep me fine for a while (not hungry). I remember reading a random study on how apples are good with keeping feeling hunger down and tried to pay attention the next few times I ate an apple and it seemed to be true. :)

Upvote 0