Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Ok people, please don't turn this thread into a debate, because I'm excited about Lent.

I'm excited about Lent! I went to mass tonight and I joined a small group! I also picked up 4 or 5 little books on Lent, including the book we're going to use in small group on Wednesday nights.

I am so excited about Ash Wednesday! I think it's so cool that I get to have the ashes on my forehead and I get to do all that stuff. At least I hope I get to have the ashes on my forehead.(I am not a Catholic yet.) I am going to have a lot of fun. I get to meet with people an extra night other than just RCIA. And I am excited about getting to let people see me with the ashes on my forehead on campus on Wednesday! Since we don't have a resident priest, we are having our ashes service on Tuesday night, but I think that's the same thing since night time is sorta the next day for Catholics. I am not going to take a bath after the service! Because I want to keep the ashes on my forehead for class Wednesday.(I am taking an extra good shower Tuesday night, don't worry, and I am freshening up Wednesday morning, hehe.)

I want to do that stuff because it's really important to me. I have been waiting for Lent. I've been wanting to study it and participate in it. I don't want to sound immature, but I like it because you get to do the ashes thing. We didn't have anything like that at the churches I went to growing up. But I get to do it here, and have it on me all day, and let other people see it on me all day Wednesday. I think it's pretty neat. I'm going to show people that I am doing it so they'll ask me about it. In my scifi class, there's an atheist, and there's a Lutheran(I think) that was talking about Catholics the other day. And when I have the ashes on my head, I'll get to talk about Lent! Yay!

We are going to learn about it Wednesday night, and I'm excited. I'm going to read all my little books and figure out what this stuff means. I know that you have to give up something, but I'm going to read my books and see what they say about it. And I get to talk to all those people in my group about stuff too. That's going to be fun. I'm going to see if I can go to a Mardi Gras party too, woohoo! The teacher said we should have done our first class on Tuesday night so we could have a party, but it was too late, and half the people had left, lol. I'm going to have so much fun next week! :D

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟272,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
:) I remember going to Ash Wednesday services and then for the rest of the day, people would be saying to me, "You have a little smudge on your forehead...." and I'd say, "Yes, I know. It's Ash Wednesday." Usually they'd brighten up and say, "OH-hhhh!"

:)

Upvote 0

jukesk9

Dixie Whistlin' Papist
Feb 7, 2002
Arkansas
Visit site
✟13,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Today at 08:28 PM Wolseley said this in Post #43

:) I remember going to Ash Wednesday services and then for the rest of the day, people would be saying to me, "You have a little smudge on your forehead...." and I'd say, "Yes, I know. It's Ash Wednesday." Usually they'd brighten up and say, "OH-hhhh!"

:)

I know what you mean.  It's a pride thing for me now...wearing the ashes in public.  I'll take the ridicule for Jesus.

Upvote 0

AngelAmidala

Legend
Feb 1, 2002
New York
Visit site
✟51,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Hey....I just thought I'd pop in as a resident Protestant who is excited about Lent just like Humblejoe and loves Lent and Easter like chelcb. I will be keeping all of you in my prayers during Lent as you sacrifice whatever you choose to sacrifice.

And I plan on stopping by the chapel on campus where I work to get my ashes on Wednesday as well.

Upvote 0

chelcb

'Totus tuus'
Jan 11, 2003
Visit site
✟2,163.00
Today at 09:52 PM AngelAmidala said this in Post #46

Hey....I just thought I'd pop in as a resident Protestant who is excited about Lent just like Humblejoe and loves Lent and Easter like chelcb. I will be keeping all of you in my prayers during Lent as you sacrifice whatever you choose to sacrifice.

And I plan on stopping by the chapel on campus where I work to get my ashes on Wednesday as well.

Thanks Amidala.

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Today at 08:28 PM Wolseley said this in Post #43 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=684334#post684334)

Hehehe... I don't want just a smudge, I want a jet black cross. :)

Last year when I was at the grocery store, I saw a teenage boy and girl, each with a soot black cross on their foreheads. I remember thinking that was so awesome. That's what I want. I hope and pray that it stays deep and black on my forehead, so I can talk about my spirituality and what I'm doing. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jesus came as a human to share in our humanity with us but as a divine being he was a fitting sacrifice for our sins, not our personal committed sins, but our inherited state of original sin.

Not so sure about this statement, Chelsi. I believe you are mistaken. Christ was the Sacrifice for all sin, both personal and inhereted. Paragraph 1992 of the Catechism says That Jesus' "blood has become the instrument of atonement for the sins of all men," which I believe would include their personal sins, as well.

God Bless,

Neal

Upvote 0

chelcb

'Totus tuus'
Jan 11, 2003
Visit site
✟2,163.00
I understand that Neil. I was trying to take one thing at a time in explaining that the sacrifice is two fold. If we are not reconciled first, original sin gone, then personal sins at that point do not matter. A person has to be "born again" cleansed from original sin first. The personal sins of a person are forgiven when the original sin is forgiven.

I did clarify myself with this comment

"There is also more that we believe about the cross of Christ, that he did also die for all and any personal sins we do now have in the past and will commit in the future. The sacrifice is two fold. To forgive original sin, to join back us to him in baptism and to open the gates of mercy that obtains forgiveness of our personal sin"

Upvote 0
I so look forward to the beautiful season of Lent, in fact it is my favorite liturgical season, giving us hope and the opportunity to get cleansing through reconciliation, and await the new "rebirth" of Jesus Christ!

This is a time also for making a sacrifice for 40 days, but it doesn't have to necessarily be food, chocolate, t.v.,chat,or someting tangable. It can also giving up something that may be a habit or something hard for us to deal with.

Some suggestions are, 1.Not Complaining,2.Not being resentful or bitter,3.Fast from spending too much money,4.Fast from Discouragement,5.Fast from Judging,6.Fast from Anger and Hatred.

Also , if you , say don't particularly get along well with the elderly, for Lent, send a elder person a card, go visit them, or chat with them at church. Make a point, and see what happens after 40 days.

The same goes, for children, if one has a problem tolerating children(and yes folks there are some out there) ,try being kind and say "hi" to a child or even a smile would do.

There are many ways we can "sacrifice" ,but none can compare with the "sacrifice" Jesus made for all of us!

Peace and Love

Lady Grace

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You are supposed to make a sacrifice. It can be giving something up or taking something on. It can be dropping a bad habit or picking up a good one. For me, I usually try to make more time. Quality time, that is. For my kids, for my husband, for myself, for the poor and needy, for God. My daughter and I volunteered at the soup kitchen last year and we still try to manage at least one Saturday a month. I personally fast on Fridays, not a strict fast, but just one moderate meal of fish and water only all day. Every time I start thinking about how hungry I am I offer a prayer for someone who is hungry not by their own choice. I am appalled by hunger. Everywhere, but maybe especially here in our own country where there is such an overabundance of food. It seems almost criminal that anyone here should be hungry when it is well within our means to feed them. But they are out there.

Peace. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.