United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am so excited for Lent! :ebil:

I have to say, growing up Protestant I never heard much about Lent, had no idea what it was, and pretty much assumed it was something only Catholics did. Later on, after I came to faith, I always wanted to somehow make Easter Sunday special, because I understood the importance of celebrating our Lord's resurrection. But, I didn't really know what to do except buy a new tie, go to service, and eat with friends and family. That's all great, but I never really felt it was adequate for the occasion. Then I learned about Lent.

The whole purpose of Lent is to prepare for the celebration of our Lord's resurrection. Not only that, but Christians have been preparing in this way since the earliest centuries of our faith. When I finally learned this I thought, "Well, this is what I've been looking for." My next thought was, "Why am I just now learning this?"

I have been observing Lent for several years now. When Lent rolls around I try to become very intentional about the three spiritual practices: prayer, fasting, and giving. This isn't to say I ignore these practices the rest of the year, but I do become more focused during Lent. And, it seems, each year my overall spiritual practice becomes a little deeper and richer on account of that focus during Lent.

At any rate, I am once again really looking forward to Lent. Am I the only one? ;) Surely, not. What are your thoughts on Lent? What spiritual practices do you focus on during Lent? Please, share your thoughts, your wisdom, your experience. And, may our Lord grant you grace and peace. :)

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am so excited for Lent! :ebil:

I have to say, growing up Protestant I never heard much about Lent, had no idea what it was, and pretty much assumed it was something only Catholics did. Later on, after I came to faith, I always wanted to somehow make Easter Sunday special, because I understood the importance of celebrating our Lord's resurrection. But, I didn't really know what to do except buy a new tie, go to service, and eat with friends and family. That's all great, but I never really felt it was adequate for the occasion. Then I learned about Lent.

The whole purpose of Lent is to prepare for the celebration of our Lord's resurrection. Not only that, but Christians have been preparing in this way since the earliest centuries of our faith. When I finally learned this I thought, "Well, this is what I've been looking for." My next thought was, "Why am I just now learning this?"

I have been observing Lent for several years now. When Lent rolls around I try to become very intentional about the three spiritual practices: prayer, fasting, and giving. This isn't to say I ignore these practices the rest of the year, but I do become more focused during Lent. And, it seems, each year my overall spiritual practice becomes a little deeper and richer on account of that focus during Lent.

At any rate, I am once again really looking forward to Lent. Am I the only one? ;) Surely, not. What are your thoughts on Lent? What spiritual practices do you focus on during Lent? Please, share your thoughts, your wisdom, your experience. And, may our Lord grant you grace and peace. :)
For many years, I have increased my focus on prayer, and fasted - formerly giving up alcohol and often meat - during Lent. I usually also have read through all the Gospels, and added other beneficial reading, usually including CS Lewis’ Mere Christianity and Bonhoeffer’s Discipleship as my staples, adding other readings throughout the years. I’ve also tried to increase and be intentional about charitable donations during this time. I usually take time away from these forums and all social media as well, to focus more closely on God.

Now that I am Eastern Orthodox, I follow Orthodox fasting practices, and try to attend as many of the extra Church services that are available during this time, as well as the above (and much of the other reading I do is Orthodox in flavor).

Not that I do any of this well. It is a very humbling time of year, and I find it a very trying and intense time, emotionally and spiritually, but generally productive and illuminating, as well.

May you have a blessed Lent.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
None of the above.

Lent is a very old Christian experience, far predating the Protestant Reformation. It's an important prelude to Good Friday and Easter, but I wouldn't answer that it's something we should either "love" or "hate."

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0