Periann

Nov 21, 2003
TX
✟11,410.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I absolutely loved this series, and Ive also read a few of her other books. I want to read her book on Genesis though. It sounds really good. There are Christian themes in all of her books, it's very obvious that she is a Christian although Im not sure on her views. Well, so what's your favorite of her books?

Muzza

Jan 14, 2004
Palmerston North
✟15,381.00
Faith
Christian
I love the imagination that she manages to bring through in her books. They all have very different angles that compliment each other in amazing ways. The historical element in A Wrinkle in Time, the physical/biological imagery of A Wind in the Door, and the Alien otherworldly feeling of A Swiftly Tilting Planet. All very distinct and fascinating reads.

Upvote 0

luvmyirishman

Jan 27, 2004
Planet Earth
✟7,749.00
Faith
Christian
Fletcher said:
Have any of you read "An Acceptable Time"? It's kind of a companion to the quartet, about Meg's daughter.

I have read that book, it is quite thought provoking. It definetly has stronger Christian themes than the previous books. I loved it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Koryu

Rurouni Kenshin Fan
Dec 11, 2003
Aumsville, Or, USA
Visit site
✟393.00
Faith
Christian
O! I remember these books! I read them SO long ago...like 5th grade. I loved them. I stopped after the third one, "A Wind In The Door", I think it was? I started the one after that but didn't like it much and put in down. I might have to go reread them someday.... :)

Upvote 0

harrietvane

NH girl
Mar 18, 2004
New Hampshire
✟205.00
Faith
Christian
I loved A Wrinkle in time...it had some pretty profound themes. the idea of tessering jsut sounds like it should work:) And the planet of IT reminded me of Orwell's 1984 or Ayn Rand's Anthem or something like that.

All of her other books are great too though, not just the Wrinkle in Time Series. They all get tied together a little. There are usually cameo appearances in the other books of some of her earlier characters.

I'm curious too what L'Engle's Christian beliefs are. There are some major good vs evil themes in her books.

Upvote 0

Tier

Jan 2, 2004
✟9,088.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The last book of the quartet is Many Waters, correct? It's been a long while. That was the one that stuck with because it is so obviously the Genesis Flood. Some of the names and geneology do not line up biblically, though. It was nice for what it is, a fictional tale with -some- biblical elements.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

harrietvane

NH girl
Mar 18, 2004
New Hampshire
✟205.00
Faith
Christian
L'Engle's idea of tessering is where the title "Wrinkle in Time" comes from. With tessering you take the lightyears of space--any incredibly long distance that gets measured in light time. So you've got a line of time/distance like so ___________ And then with tessering you wrinkle it like this (kind of...lol) U. And you cross that time distance by not crossing all of the time/distance. You are passing from one side of the wrinkle to the other--circumventing the intervening distance:)

That's my own funny perception of what she was saying. I think that its a great idea! Sorry for my clumsy method of explaining though. I'm sure you all could do it a little better:)

Upvote 0

Fineous_Reese

Striving to be like the men of Issachar
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2004
✟31,993.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ahh, i remember reading those and trying to draw a tesseract back in elementary school :) i still think back to it when pondering multiple dimenions (and still have to remember to breath thinking about their short stint in the 2nd dimension)

harrietvane said:
That's my own funny perception of what she was saying. I think that its a great idea! Sorry for my clumsy method of explaining though. I'm sure you all could do it a little better:)

kudos for simplicity!

-Fin

Upvote 0

HeatherJay

Kisser of Boo-Boos
Sep 1, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
oceanofdreamz said:
Tell me about this a wrinkle in time... I love reading books about time wrinkles so can someone tell me what it's about>
Well, the basic plot is that Meg and her little brother, Charles' scientist father disappears. Most assume he's just run off, but Meg and her brother end up running around through time and space searching for him on a 'tesseract', otherwise known as a wrinkle in time. The whole series is wonderful and I'm planning on getting the set for my 12 year old niece for Christmas. In fact, I think I'll go back and read them myself. I can almost guarantee that you'll love the book, oceanofdreamz. :)

The book that stuck with me the most was Many Waters...I just LOVED the imagery...the talking animals, the nephilim, the seraphim (or did they have slightly different names in the book??)...anyway, I thought it was great.

Love, Heather

Upvote 0