Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Many people with left-leaning political views call themselves “pro-choice” on the subject of abortion. They think the right to terminate a pregnancy is a decision that only the woman should make and no one else should interfere. Irrespective of how they feel about abortion personally, ultimately they believe it isn’t their call to make for women.

Yet pro-choice leftists are not consistent with their views on choice, particularly when it comes to vaccinations. The Coronavirus pandemic has been around for some time now, and many Democrats believe in mandatory covid vaccinations. Here is an article about a Democrat advocating for state-mandated covid vaccinations: Democratic gubernatorial candidate backs mandatory vaccines for police, teachers Many other articles on this subject exist, and this example isn’t an outlier.

If pro-choice liberals genuinely believed in choice, then why do many of them believe in state-mandated vaccinations? Why aren’t they consistent with their support for choice and say people have a right to choose whether or not to get vaccinated, and that no one else should interfere with their right to take a vaccine irrespective of how they feel about it personally? Apparently, leftists only believe in “choice” insofar as it supports their political agenda.

For the record, I am by no means an anti-vaccination person. In fact, I received both doses of the covid vaccine as soon as I could. I also think that people who don’t want to vaccinate themselves from Coronavirus due to mistrust or misunderstanding are putting themselves at serious risk. My point here isn’t to promote the anti-vaccine position, but instead to draw attention to the inconsistency of leftists who call themselves pro-choice.

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Many people with left-leaning political views call themselves “pro-choice” on the subject of abortion. They think the right to terminate a pregnancy is a decision that only the woman should make and no one else should interfere. Irrespective of how they feel about abortion personally, ultimately they believe it isn’t their call to make for women.

Yet pro-choice leftists are not consistent with their views on choice, particularly when it comes to vaccinations. The Coronavirus pandemic has been around for some time now, and many Democrats believe in mandatory covid vaccinations. Here is an article about a Democrat advocating for state-mandated covid vaccinations: Democratic gubernatorial candidate backs mandatory vaccines for police, teachers Many other articles on this subject exist, and this example isn’t an outlier.

If pro-choice liberals genuinely believed in choice, then why do many of them believe in state-mandated vaccinations? Why aren’t they consistent with their support for choice and say people have a right to choose whether or not to get vaccinated, and that no one else should interfere with their right to take a vaccine irrespective of how they feel about it personally? Apparently, leftists only believe in “choice” insofar as it supports their political agenda.

For the record, I am by no means an anti-vaccination person. In fact, I received both doses of the covid vaccine as soon as I could. I also think that people who don’t want to vaccinate themselves from Coronavirus due to mistrust or misunderstanding are putting themselves at serious risk. My point here isn’t to promote the anti-vaccine position, but instead to draw attention to the inconsistency of leftists who call themselves pro-choice.
When we say we are "pro-choice," that means something specific just as "pro-life" does. It’s in relation to abortion. Most Democrats do not support government mandated vaccines so I don’t think that’s a correct analysis anyway. And the idea that a woman seeking an abortion or wanting to have that right is a political agenda is just odd.

Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
it would be just as accurate to say that conservatives want the right to make medical decision without government interference but at the same time are all to willing to deny that same right women.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
it would be just as accurate to say that conservatives want the right to make medical decision without government interference but at the same time are all to willing to deny that same right women.
Men should be in charge of their women. Period.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Name one.

Upvote 0

Nine of Spades

♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤
Nov 13, 2020
Texas
✟28,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Name one.

I did. Check out the link in my original post. As I said, that example isn’t an outlier, and many other Democrats want state-mandated vaccinations.

Upvote 0

Nine of Spades

♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤
Nov 13, 2020
Texas
✟28,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

According to a 2017 Gallup poll, 70% of Republicans believe that abortion should be legal in some cases. You can check the source here: Republican Majority for Choice - Wikipedia Your assertion is therefore false.

Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If unvaccinated people don’t effect those of us who are vaccinated then I would have said let anti-vaxxer chose if they want to be vaccinated or not. But anti-vaxxer just don’t keep the virus to themselves, they spread the virus to others, which then mutate and then create a more dangerous virus. And if anti-vaxxer keep spreading the virus as they are doing now, rest of us will suffer.

When your right became cause of my death then it is no longer "your choice only" but a choice for society.

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

A woman having an abortion or not having an abortion does not make society unsafe.

A person not having a vaccination, or to be more precise, a large amount of society not having a vaccination, helps to spread a deadly pandemic and keep it alive in society and increases the chances of mutations.

But that said, most people aren't for forcing people against their will. But are for promoting of vaccines, for leaders promoting vaccine and taking vaccine in a public show.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nine of Spades

♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤
Nov 13, 2020
Texas
✟28,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If unvaccinated people don’t effect those of us who are vaccinated then I would have said let anti-vaxxer chose if they want to be vaccinated or not. But anti-vaxxer just don’t keep the virus to themselves, they spread the virus to others, which then mutate and then create a more dangerous virus. And if anti-vaxxer keep spreading the virus as they are doing now, rest of us will suffer.

When your right became cause of my death then it is no longer "your choice only" but a choice for society.

You imply that anti-vaccine people shouldn’t have the right to choose whether or not to get vaccinated, since it could lead to other people getting sick and harming them. By the same token, abortion leads to the death of an unborn baby, which is far worse than refusing to get vaccinated because terminating a pregnancy takes the life of another being.

When a woman’s “right” is the cause of a baby’s death, then it isn’t her choice only—but a choice for society.

• Agree
Reactions: Sodafox
Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
You imply that anti-vaccine people shouldn’t have the right to choose whether or not to get vaccinated, since it could lead to other people getting sick and harming them. By the same token, abortion leads to the death of an unborn baby, which is far worse than refusing to get vaccinated because terminating a pregnancy takes the life of another being.

When a woman’s “right” is the cause of a baby’s death, then it isn’t her choice only—but a choice for society.

I am not the right person to argue for pro-choice , I support pro-life. Having said that people who are not vaccinating are effecting my life. Those who chose not to be vaccinated goes to a restaurant full of customer and spreading the virus is no different then a guy wearing a suicide vest going to restaurant and blow up everyone.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

I think it stems from looking at vaccinations and abortions as two entirely different things in terms of rights. Where abortions are seen as a right of the individual mother over her own body vaccinations are seen as a benefit to public health and the greater number of vaccinated the better they work for everyone overall.

Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I think it stems from looking at vaccinations and abortions as two entirely different things in terms of rights. Where abortions are seen as a right of the individual mother over her own body vaccinations are seen as a benefit to public health and the greater number of vaccinated the better they work for everyone overall.

I posted this article in another thread. I agree with author;

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...d-america-breaking-point-anti-vaxxers/619539/

Pro-Trump America has decided that vaccine refusal is a statement of identity and a test of loyalty.

Upvote 0

Sodafox

Jun 17, 2021
Denver
✟18,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Where abortions are seen as a right of the individual mother over her own body
Therein lies the problem. It's not JUST her body but also the body of her unborn baby.

For the record, I'm both pro-choice and anti-vaccine mandate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Abortions is a personal choice, it impacts the woman and her family

Vaccines impact society at large. Not just the person choosing not to get vaccinated, but also people who for some medical reasons cannot get vaccinated and also everyone if it leads to mutations that are vaccine resistant.
The ideal would have been for all countries to go into lock down in the first two months of the pandemic. It would have completely eradicated this disease.
Other than that, if everyone gets immunised, again it could eradicate the disease.

But the way we are going it looks like the disease will be alive and well and keep circulating like the cold and the flu.

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Abortions is a personal choice, it impacts the woman and her family

Vaccines impact society at large. Not just the person choosing not to get vaccinated, but also people who for some medical reasons cannot get vaccinated and also everyone if it leads to mutations that are vaccine resistant.
The ideal would have been for all countries to go into lock down in the first two months of the pandemic. It would have completely eradicated this disease.
Other than that, if everyone gets immunised, again it could eradicate the disease.

But the way we are going it looks like the disease will be alive and well and keep circulating like the cold and the flu.

Even if every American took the vaccine that could have, the variants would have arisen - they mostly have come about in other parts of the world. 90% vaccination levels in the US wouldn't have ended the pandemic.

It was obvious as early as April 2020 that Covid would be around for years to come, and claims to the contrary were wishful thinking.

As far as "all countries going into lock down in the first two months of the pandemic - we've also since found out that the pandemic really started 2 months earlier than we were initially told, so the window to lock everything down was essentially gone by late January, if not earlier.

When Did Covid-19 Really Start Spreading in the U.S.? (msn.com)

Study: COVID-19 Reached U.S. Earlier Than Health Officials Previously Thought : Coronavirus Updates : NPR

Upvote 0

LiberalChristian1980

Sep 20, 2018
Alexandria, VA
✟37,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Most Democrats do not support government mandated vaccines so I don’t think that’s a correct analysis anyway.

Most Democrats do support vaccine mandates in many situations, such as mandatory vaccinations (with very limited exceptions) for school children.

Upvote 0

LiberalChristian1980

Sep 20, 2018
Alexandria, VA
✟37,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
You imply that anti-vaccine people shouldn’t have the right to choose whether or not to get vaccinated, since it could lead to other people getting sick and harming them.

Some of the people who get infected because of the selfishness of the anti-vaxx losers will die.

By the same token, abortion leads to the death of an unborn baby, which is far worse than refusing to get vaccinated because terminating a pregnancy takes the life of another being.

No it doesn't. A fetus isn't a human being. Pro-choice people do not consider abortion to be "killing" someone.

Also, abortions aren't contagious. A woman aborting her pregnancy has no impact on any one else's choice to have a child or not.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Most Democrats do support vaccine mandates in many situations, such as mandatory vaccinations (with very limited exceptions) for school children.
Are we just talking about the mRNA vaccines for the SARS-CoV-2 virus or all vaccines?

Upvote 0