Leaving a charismatic cult....Is everyone else "APOSTATE" or is that another lie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andrea411

I strongly believe that apologetics works, and works well. It is better, in my estimation, to detail the avenues of error, their origins and deviation from the truth in an effort to halt the continuing thought life that surrounds error.

Getting saved is great, but it does not always answer all of the issues of a person's life. Many people become attracted to any proponent of a movement that comes by who appears to be the answer to their existing dysfunction.

Getting saved is not always an immediate panacea for all of life's dilemmas and questions.

...as a former Mormon I can tell you, they won't sit through the teaching long enough to hear the truth. JW's are even worse, the fear of losing their foundation and family, friends, years of work... is too terrifying. I treat these people just like I do atheists. I love atheists - at least they're honest. I share what God has done in my life, my testimony of change, and the joy I have today.... some guy told me today - he won't go to church bc he'd be a hypocrite... I told him he should join the club it is the church. We're all hypocrites on one day or another. I explained that sometimes when I'm in worship I look around at all the hypocrites (myself included) and I am just in absolute awe of His Majesty and grace. He loves us still. He's coming to church with me.
Apologetics works for people seeking the truth and it is great to expound the scriptures but for unbelievers or those caught in deception, they need Christ, not theology. Jesus said, they will know you by how you love one another, not by your theology, denomination, or works.... I left LDS bc I fell in love with Jesus and they wouldn't stop talking about Jos.Smith....
I have seen too many people full of head knowledge and they are some of the ugliest people I've run across... you'll probably see one soon. I think he's stalking me?? LOL... but thats good bc one day he will open His eyes to the truth.... get your eyes off of your sin and onto Jesus. As far as getting saved being a panacea.... oh quite the contrary... your just about to start a great adventure.... and as long as your eyes are on Jesus and your faithing in Him, He will not let go of you. Sin can make us let go of Christ but it won't be bc He stopped loving us it will be bc we stopped coming before Him.
God bless, andrea

Upvote 0

tobethebest

Veteran
Mar 5, 2008
✟8,583.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I haven't read the entire thread, but I'm very interested in Andy Stanley's teachings. He is so down to earth and he demonstrates certain hard to understand issues with great ease. I highly recommend Andy. He will add comfort and contentment to your studies. I found his last teaching on grace vs the law, very informative and during the teaching I sensed God was present in the room with me. If we could just open a door and walk into heaven, I wonder just how many of us would do just that. It's like missing our best friend. Religion sucks the life out of living. My wife is always sending out ministering angels to those we love, that they stay the course and flee from false doctrine.

Upvote 0
P

psalm232

Hello!
It's been a while since I visited this thread and surprised to read so many wonderful and edifying replies. Thank you!.

I am much much better now. Praise be to GOD! I think there is some PTSD-esque responses when I do visit a church...but other than that dynamic, feeling a lot of peace and freedom from legalism and fear.

I stayed home for a long while and recently have been visiting a Vineyard Church. So far, so good. I try to be led by the Holy Spirit, by a feeling of peace or more clear direction. But it's no longer a pressure thing, as when I was in "the group." Now I understand God is a kind father, leading me, and teaching me how to walk...and I am maturing.

Spiritual abuse is a nasty thing. But now when I read the Word...I see grace, freedom, and new life every where. What a change! I have a freedom in HIm that is so precious.

God bless:wave:

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Great to hear! Thanks for letting us know. The ptsd stuff is normal, just part of your brain's natural adjustments. Let it serve to protect you. Glad you have found some freedom and refreshing!
I am much much better now. Praise be to GOD! I think there is some PTSD-esque responses when I do visit a church...but other than that dynamic, feeling a lot of peace and freedom from legalism and fear.

Upvote 0

stormdancer0

Do not be so open-minded that your brain falls out
Apr 19, 2008
USA
✟14,334.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I have had issues with Baptist Churches. I had lunch with some ladies from a local Baptist church, because I was interested in joining their church. THey asked what kind of church I went to as a child, and I told them a non-denominational church. One lady said, "So you've never been baptized, right?"

I said, "No, I was baptized. We had a baptismal pool, and I was baptized in that."

She patted my hand, pity in her voice, and said, "But it wasn't a Baptist church, so your haven't REALLY been baptized, have you?"

I left and never went back.

I actually had one Baptist lady tell me that they traced their roots back to BEFORE Christ's ministry - to John the Baptist's ministry.

There are dolts in every denomination, I guess.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟830,504.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I have had issues with Baptist Churches. I had lunch with some ladies from a local Baptist church, because I was interested in joining their church. THey asked what kind of church I went to as a child, and I told them a non-denominational church. One lady said, "So you've never been baptized, right?"

I said, "No, I was baptized. We had a baptismal pool, and I was baptized in that."

She patted my hand, pity in her voice, and said, "But it wasn't a Baptist church, so your haven't REALLY been baptized, have you?"

I left and never went back.

I actually had one Baptist lady tell me that they traced their roots back to BEFORE Christ's ministry - to John the Baptist's ministry.

There are dolts in every denomination, I guess.

Unfortunately there are people who are more religious than Christian. Those women are worshiping their church instead of Christ. Read the story of the Ethiopian eunich. He got baptised in the nearest pool of water. There wasn't a Baptist Church any closer than around 1700 years away!!

Upvote 0

Pneuman777

Apr 18, 2015
✟7,738.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Hi,
I have left a charismatic cult that was filled with lying signs, lying dreams, a false teacher and tons of (false) prophesy. A large part of the draw and legitimacy of the group was the idea that most of Christianity (called churchianity) is apostate....that it is BABYLON, and we are to "come out from it and be separate."

From this teachings, I began to believe I was sinning to visit or attend a Christian church or even listen to Christian pastors on the radio- outside of the teacher of the group and a few approved teachers.

I am desiring to simply fellowship in a place that loves God and teaches the Word... and considering attending a Baptist church. I am highly sensitive to issues of control, legalism, and manipulation....and so far it seems good....kind, loving, healthy.

Has anyone else been taught it is sin to go to a normal church? Is this a common cult teaching....or is it part of a reform movement from the Holy Spirit...??

Please, Psalm, do not throw out the baby with the dirty bathwater. That is what Satan wants all Christians to do, who are hungry for experiential reality of healings, miracles, prophecies dreams and visions in these last days. In short who hunger after the supernatural God who is the same yesterday , today, and forever. I have seen this time and time again mostly by Christians who have been hurt in the unBiblical Word of Faith movement and churches. They retreat into cessationalist churches, like Baptist and other fundamentalist churches. Problem is we're going to need the power of God, including the gifts of Holy Spirit, more than ever in this present age, all the more as the day of the Lord approaches. Be encouraged. There are well-rounded charismatic believers and groups out there with whom you can meet and be safe in God. Have you considered trying an A/G church and asking first of all it they are WOF? How about checking out a good Christian and Missionary Alliance Church in your area?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.