Not open for further replies.

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
The difference, Peter, is that Judaism still exists and can be followed even if Moses or whoever screw up and are therefore personally barred from whatever. Can the same be said of Mormonism? If Joseph Smith's foundational story is incorrect, does Mormonism still exist? No. It doesn't. So Mormonism is tied to one particular prophet getting things 100% correct in a way that Judaism simply is not. (Or in the case of St. Paul, Christianity simply is not.)
But JS foundational story is correct, therefore Mormonism still exists. Yes.

However, that is the benefit of being a member of a dynamic, revelatory church. JS in many ways today is irrelevant. For instance: JS, by the Lord, introduced plural marriage. Wilford Woodruff, another prophet some time later, again by the same Lord, ended what JS started. If you can see, it is the Lord that controls what we do as a church, not a man or even a prophet. IOW, the current prophet is the most relevant prophet, not the first prophet. If we had stuck with what JS said, I guarantee we would not be a relevant church in the world today. We would be like an offshoot of Mormonism, and irrelevant

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

What I wrote was that if (meaning 'on the condition that') Joseph Smith's foundational story is false, then Mormonism is too and the whole thing collapses. You've reinterpreted that to mean Mormonism still existing is some kind of evidence that JS' foundational story/first vision is true. That's a very different claim.

However, that is the benefit of being a member of a dynamic, revelatory church.

So says you. I kind of like belonging to a Church and a religion where the faith is not changed every time there is a new person in the highest place of leadership, but suit yourself I guess.

JS in many ways today is irrelevant.

I would say "all" in place of "many" and get rid of "today" entirely, but okay...go on...

For instance: JS, by the Lord, introduced plural marriage. Wilford Woodruff, another prophet some time later, again by the same Lord, ended what JS started. If you can see, it is the Lord that controls what we do as a church, not a man or even a prophet. IOW, the current prophet is the most relevant prophet, not the first prophet.

So "You are God from everlasting to everlasting" is replaced by "What have you done for me lately?", and this is a good thing?

If we had stuck with what JS said, I guarantee we would not be a relevant church in the world today. We would be like an offshoot of Mormonism, and irrelevant

Hmm...interesting theory. Probably most people who are not Mormons would ask what you're doing still sticking by the BOM, then, since you only have that in the form that you do by JS' translation, which is what JS said until or unless proven otherwise. (Particularly in light of the now widely-known 'translation' method which involved JS peering into a hat and then dictating what he supposedly saw to a scribe, rather than maintaining visual contact with the plates themselves, assuming they existed in the first place.)

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which version is correct? Your church chose one of the many versions in existence, after JS was dead, by the way, and all are different in some way. In addition, your church chose a version that is contrary to Biblical Scripture, where JS allegedly saw God the Father.

So, the JS foundational story is not factually correct.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Which version is correct? Your church chose one of the many versions in existence, after JS was dead, by the way, and all are different in some way. In addition, your church chose a version that is contrary to Biblical Scripture, where JS allegedly saw God the Father.

When you tell of an experience that happened to you do you use the exact same words? Of course you don't. Many people have seen God and lived to tell about it.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
You are, of course, assuming that this was not an oxygen-deprivation hallucination, and anyway---He does not state He saw God the Father, from what I understand, his encounter was with Jesus Christ.
Doctor George Ritchie's NDE was indeed real and although he didn't see the Father he did see Jesus Christ. Others have seen the Father also and lived to tell about it.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
You really need to stop being so gullible.
Some would say that believing in God is being gullible. I believe in both God and NDEs and to me neither of those beliefs mean that I am gullible, it just means that I am well informed. I also attend I.A.N.D.S. meetings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
What I wrote was that if (meaning 'on the condition that') Joseph Smith's foundational story is false, then Mormonism is too and the whole thing collapses. You've reinterpreted that to mean Mormonism still existing is some kind of evidence that JS' foundational story/first vision is true. That's a very different claim.
And I will add: Not only does it exist, but it is a very powerful institution in our time for good. It is one of the fastest growing churches in the world and will continue to grow because the Lord is leading and guiding our prophets for the purpose of getting the world ready for his second coming.

A lot of work needs to be done before that can take place, so buckle up and get ready for a rather wild ride.

So says you. I kind of like belonging to a Church and a religion where the faith is not changed every time there is a new person in the highest place of leadership, but suit yourself I guess.
Tradition is fine, but it can stagnate a church. The Jewish church and religious system is the perfect example of a stagnant, stuck in 1400bc for all time.

So "You are God from everlasting to everlasting" is replaced by "What have you done for me lately?", and this is a good thing?
The doctrines of the gospel will never change, such as baptism. The policies of the church will change depending on how the Lord wants to navigate the perilous times we go through as time winds on.

Hmm...interesting theory. Probably most people who are not Mormons would ask what you're doing still sticking by the BOM, then, since you only have that in the form that you do by JS' translation, which is what JS said until or unless proven otherwise. (Particularly in light of the now widely-known 'translation' method which involved JS peering into a hat and then dictating what he supposedly saw to a scribe, rather than maintaining visual contact with the plates themselves, assuming they existed in the first place.)
Don't get me wrong, we will never jettison JS. He is too important a person and gave us a great deal of knowledge through the Lord. But if we would have put our heads in the sand and not listened to Jesus Christ and stayed with plural marriage, we would not be a world-wide, dynamic force for good in the world today.

We would be like Jeffs and his group, running for cover and dodging the law, and doing what we think is right, rather than what the Lord instructs us to do. That is what the Church of Jesus Christ would look like if Wilford Woodruff had not listened to the Lord and insisted that we do what JS said.

We do and Jesus acknowledges that what JS did with regard to plural marriage was the right thing to do because in a relatively short time, the Lord has another people to do his work in these latter days. The foundation was set and so the Lord instructed WW to end the practice or the church would have been torn apart. Luckily he listened and the Lord has prospered the church even to this day.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I could at least get the main facts correct. JS couldn't even do that!

NO ONE has seen God the Father and lived.
Sorry, Abraham did, Jacob did, Moses did, Stephen did, and John did. All in the bible, they are wonderful stories so read about how these men saw God the Father.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

The idea that the church chose a version after JS died is silly. There were some changes to the BOM after JS died, but JS gave his testimony of what the first vision was in the Pearl of Great Price and the church did not alter that after he died.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some would say that believing in God is being gullible. I believe in both God and NDEs and to me neither of those beliefs mean that I am gullible, it just means that I am well informed. I also attend I.A.N.D.S. meetings.
You believe in a false god who you and your religion claim, among other things, has a body of flesh and bones. You've believed the lies that have been passed down to you from your founding prophet. Yes, you are gullible.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, Abraham did, Jacob did, Moses did, Stephen did, and John did. All in the bible, they are wonderful stories so read about how these men saw God the Father.
Sorry, a closer look says no they did not. We've been over this a thousand times it seems like.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The idea that the church chose a version after JS died is silly. There were some changes to the BOM after JS died, but JS gave his testimony of what the first vision was in the Pearl of Great Price and the church did not alter that after he died.
Your understanding of the first vision accounts seems to be lacking. There are 4 accounts, each with different content, that can be attributed directly to JS. There are many other versions as well. The "First Vision" was not canonized by your church until 1880, quite a few years after JS died. The bolded above is completely false.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
And I will add: Not only does it exist, but it is a very powerful institution in our time for good. It is one of the fastest growing churches in the world and will continue to grow because the Lord is leading and guiding our prophets for the purpose of getting the world ready for his second coming.

It may still be in the positive for now (thanks to growing missions in West Africa), but its growth is slowing from what it was even as recently as the 1990s. According to this religion columnist's analysis of the LDS 2018 report, the 'growth' in the USA is at half the level of that outside of the country, and more or less matches general (non-LDS/overall) growth rates -- i.e., it is virtually indistinguishable from what you'd see by just looking at reproduction rates overall. That's pretty curious given the Mormon preference for large families. Exactly how long do expect Mormon membership numbers to remain in the black due to family size and missionary work in the third world? And what apologetic point do you plan on moving on to when these two pillars start faltering even more so than they already are?

Face it: There is simply not much conversion to Mormonism anymore. Under 200,000 people in the entire world in the year (which is not even saying that these are all through conversion anyway, but just the number added to the rolls, so it must include births to Mormon families as well) is not very much, particularly in contrast to what sometimes happens outside of Mormonism:

(From 2013) "Syriac Orthodox Church Receives as many as 800,000 New Converts in Central America"
(From 2010; in Russian) "Half a Million Guatemalan Indians Accept Orthodoxy"

These are much more than the ~195.5 K figure in the 2018 Mormon report, both in a single year, and not for the entire world, but only two examples taking place in specific states/regions within it. Do you believe they make the respective churches (Oriental Orthodox, Eastern Orthodox) true? You probably shouldn't. They don't.

Only Mormonism, Islam, etc. make this argument from "fastest growing religion in the world!" or whatever, because it sounds very 'sexy', in a quick media soundbites sense. But reality is much less exciting. Probably if we were to take the question out of specifically religious confines and rephrase it as "fastest growing worldviews with regard to religion", the fastest growing one in the world overall would be secularism, atheism, or agnosticism. And of course that doesn't make anyone's religion look good. Maybe focus more on that than how great your religion supposedly is for growing less and less every year.

A lot of work needs to be done before that can take place, so buckle up and get ready for a rather wild ride.

Pfft. I await the second coming and nothing else.

Tradition is fine, but it can stagnate a church. The Jewish church and religious system is the perfect example of a stagnant, stuck in 1400bc for all time.

What "Jewish Church"? I have nothing to do with any so-called 'Messianic Jews'. What do such people have to do with anything?

The doctrines of the gospel will never change, such as baptism. The policies of the church will change depending on how the Lord wants to navigate the perilous times we go through as time winds on.

What does such a thing even mean when this has already happened many times over, and can only be wiggled out of by the fact that Mormons themselves get to decide which is which? (As it should be, of course.) What do you make of the example of early Mormon leaders like Brigham Young, who argued against miscegenation saying that the law against it will "always be so", and yet the vast majority of Mormons would regard such a view as crazy? (Thankfully.) Does it matter, then, that he did not specify whether or not he was giving 'policy' vs. 'doctrine', or 'revelation' vs. 'personal opinion', or whatever other way you can slice and dice all the ways your leadership walks back its previous statements? Not really. The world in general, outside of those who have given over their brains to octogenarian men in Utah, simply sees the change from one era or one leader to the next and says "Yeah, this is not consistent. One leader says 'this will never change', and then those who follow him spend their time changing it."

Don't get me wrong, we will never jettison JS.

Indeed. No JS, no Mormonism.

He is too important a person and gave us a great deal of knowledge through the Lord. But if we would have put our heads in the sand and not listened to Jesus Christ and stayed with plural marriage, we would not be a world-wide, dynamic force for good in the world today.

Did you? Did you really give up on it, or do you just limit it now to your temples?

We would be like Jeffs and his group, running for cover and dodging the law

Huh...that reminds me of another you might know about:

Joseph Smith and the criminal justice system - Wikipedia

When you look at that table, pay close attention to the outcomes listed for events in January 1838 ("fled from Ohio to Missouri"), August 10th 1838 ("...but Smith fled to Illinois"), November 12th 1838 ("...fled from Missouri to Illinois"), and August 1842 ("In hiding from Aug 10 to Dec 30"). That's a whole lot of "running for cover and dodging the law" by your favorite guy.

We do and Jesus acknowledges that what JS did with regard to plural marriage was the right thing to do because in a relatively short time, the Lord has another people to do his work in these latter days. The foundation was set and so the Lord instructed WW to end the practice or the church would have been torn apart. Luckily he listened and the Lord has prospered the church even to this day.

Meh. I disagree, but whatever. These are all religious claims, substantially different than things that can be answered without saying anything about the truth or falsehood of anyone's religious beliefs, like whether or not the Mormon religion still practices polygamy (it does in a modified form, as per the RNS link), whether or not JS hid from the law (he did), whether or not conversion happens in greater numbers outside of the Mormon religion than within it (it does), etc.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
You believe in a false god who you and your religion claim, among other things, has a body of flesh and bones. You've believed the lies that have been passed down to you from your founding prophet. Yes, you are gullible.
I do believe that God the Father has a spiritual resurrected body and so does His only begotten Son Jesus Christ, who is in the express image of the Father's person:

(New Testament | Hebrews 1:3)

3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I do believe that God the Father has a spiritual resurrected body and so does His only begotten Son Jesus Christ, who is in the express image of the Father's person:

(New Testament | Hebrews 1:3)

3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

What you believe hardly matters to anyone outside of Mormonism. It is what the bible teaches that matters and it does not teach the Father ever died and was resurrected nor that He has a body of flesh and bones.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
What you believe hardly matters to anyone outside of Mormonism. It is what the bible teaches that matters and it does not teach the Father ever died and was resurrected nor that He has a body of flesh and bones.
However, you are assuming that He does not have a person as the Bible states.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.