Midwest
✟79,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Remember if BY said that today you would have some need to worry. Remember he said this in the 1800's when it was thought that the sun and the moon were inhabited. Big difference. You would have applauded him in the 1800's, but not now. Big difference.

I would not have applauded him.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I said that because of Phoebe Ann's total reliability on the bible, I felt that she would have problems in the time of Christ to convert to Christianity, knowing that the name of Jesus was not in her bible, and he was teaching to love your enemy and teaching that gentiles would be let into his gospel, teaching that he was the Son of God and was divine, meaning that he was a god too, and his radical preaching and his uneducated disciple rabble, etc., etc,. etc, all contrary to what her bible said.

I was not talking about everyone in Israel at the time of Christ, I was talking about Phoebe Ann.

Then, again, Phoebe Ann may very well have looked past all of that and joined, but I don't know.
Her bible had very little of what Jesus was preaching, she may have not been able to get over it.

God was merciful to sinners then just as He is merciful today. People don't convert themselves or others.

Who converted Paul or Peter?

Matthew 16
15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? 16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. 17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

Luke 10
21 In that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit, and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes: even so, Father; for so it seemed good in thy sight. 22 All things are delivered to me of my Father: and no man knoweth who the Son is, but the Father; and who the Father is, but the Son, and he to whom the Son will reveal him.

1 Corinthians 3
5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? 6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. 7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

Thank you for recognizing my faith in God's word. But I don't only have faith in His word. God gave me faith in Himself!

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Doesn't matter how grand, well known, or knowledgeable any scientist is---they do not claim to have God's ear and His truth. Enormous difference.
BY did not claim to have God's ear on this matter, that is why it is his opinion.

Again, every word a prophet says does not come directly from the Lord, even on the pulpit.
Your position is absurd that BY or any prophet can not say something from the pulpit that is not direct revelation from Jesus.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
What she said. ^^^ :oldthumbsup:
Sure, what she says and what you say about what a prophet has to do on the pulpit is just an absurd position. You just have it in for JS and BY, so anything they do is not going to satisfy you. So this is just another one of those situations, and I am sure there are a lot more.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
BY did not claim to have God's ear on this matter, that is why it is his opinion.

Again, every word a prophet says does not come directly from the Lord, even on the pulpit.
Your position is absurd that BY or any prophet can not say something from the pulpit that is not direct revelation from Jesus.

Again, when a man stands in front of the congregation, he stands on the pulpit as the voice of God. He is in authority, he is teaching. He us telling the congregation what they should be thinking and doing. Otherwise--they can keep silent or just talk amongst themselves. The pulpit is the sign of authority. He did not say this is my opinion. He was definite about this and was teaching it. He was the voice of your church. A prophet is a prophet---he does not stop being a prophet. It is not a 9-5 job. The President of a country does not stop being the President ---that is what he is. As long as he holds that office. A prophet is for life. Pastors have to always be on guard for they repr4sent their church, they teach the word of God.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Again, when a man stands in front of the congregation, he stands on the pulpit as the voice of God. He is in authority, he is teaching. He us telling the congregation what they should be thinking and doing. Otherwise--they can keep silent or just talk amongst themselves. The pulpit is the sign of authority. He did not say this is my opinion. He was definite about this and was teaching it. He was the voice of your church. A prophet is a prophet---he does not stop being a prophet. It is not a 9-5 job. The President of a country does not stop being the President ---that is what he is. As long as he holds that office. A prophet is for life. Pastors have to always be on guard for they repr4sent their church, they teach the word of God.
Yet you fail to see the mistakes of other prophets like Peter and Isaiah.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Tell me all about what you know about what a prophet does 24/7. Since you have never lived in the shadow of a prophet, I am sure what you say will not mean a whole lot. But thanks for telling us what one does. Oh, I think I will forward this information to Russell Nelson so he is sure to do as you say.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Oh, yes, I forgot, you have it in for BY, no applause even when he does things that would indicate he was a sheep.

Nope. I object to sin, prejudice, racism, lies, abortion, murder, false religions, false prophets, not people. I would have prayed for the lost; none of the above should be applauded.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
We know that Peter denied Jesus three times. Isaiah prophesied by telling a man to set his things in order because he would die and not live, but he lived another fifteen years.

Peter was not a prophet at this time, and he was not prophesying a thing. Isiah did not give a false prophecy, Hezekiah would have died in 3 days, it is what God said--- He begged God to let him live and God listened to his request and granted him an extra 15 years. Neither of these qualify.

• Agree
Reactions: dzheremi
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Peter was not a prophet at this time, and he was not prophesying a thing. Isiah did not give a false prophecy, Hezekiah would have died in 3 days, it is what God said--- He begged God to let him live and God listened to his request and granted him an extra 15 years. Neither of these qualify.
Then neither do the mistakes of other prophets qualify.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

Peter was no prophet at that time!!! Isiah told Hezekiah exactly what God told Him. They have nothing to do with the mistakes and sins your false prophets make.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

Moses was a prophet. I'm pretty sure it was still a big mistake for him to strike against the rock, since it was by his lack of trust in God as shown by this action that he was denied entry into the promised land. The two are not mutually exclusive, just like there was nothing in Isaiah the prophet's message to King Hezekiah that said "And there's nothing you can do about this; don't bother praying to God, because it's a done deal no matter what you do." (Just as God likewise heard the prayers of the Ninevites who were warned by Jonah, etc.)

The difference is that the mistakes of the LDS 'prophets' come in the context of a system in which people are asked to believe that these men have direct contact with God who is thereby directly guiding what is supposed to be His 'restored church'! In the days of the OT prophets, there was no 'church' to restore (the Church not being founded until the coming of Christ). So the context is completely different, and altogether much worse for Mormonism's claims to being the one true church upon the face of the earth.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Moses was a prophet. I'm pretty sure it was still a big mistake for him to strike against the rock, since it was by his lack of trust in God as shown by this action that he was denied entry into the promised land. The two are not mutually exclusive, just like there was nothing in Isaiah the prophet's message to King Hezekiah that said "And there's nothing you can do about this; don't bother praying to God, because it's a done deal no matter what you do." (Just as God likewise heard the prayers of the Ninevites who were warned by Jonah, etc.)

The difference is that the mistakes of the LDS 'prophets' come in the context of a system in which people are asked to believe that these men have direct contact with God who is thereby directly guiding what is supposed to be His 'restored church'! In the days of the OT prophets, there was no 'church' to restore (the Church not being founded until the coming of Christ). So the context is completely different, and altogether much worse for Mormonism's claims to being the one true church upon the face of the earth.
And Moses and Isaiah are not in the context of a system in which people are asked to believe that these men have direct contact with God who is thereby directly guiding what was supposed to be God's church in those days (you know, people going to synagogues and the temple and such)?

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

Both Moses and Paul were prophets of God and many have argued about their past. Moses killed a man and Paul helped those who were against Christ's followers. They were still called of God as prophets. Except for Jesus Christ, all God has to work with are imperfect people. However He has given us the commandments of LOVE and expects us to keep them. Those who do not keep the commandments are sinners.:

(New Testament | 1 Peter 4:18)

18 And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
And Moses and Isaiah are not in the context of a system in which people are asked to believe that these men have direct contact with God who is thereby directly guiding what was supposed to be God's church in those days (you know, people going to synagogues and the temple and such)?

The difference, Peter, is that Judaism still exists and can be followed even if Moses or whoever screw up and are therefore personally barred from whatever. Can the same be said of Mormonism? If Joseph Smith's foundational story is incorrect, does Mormonism still exist? No. It doesn't. So Mormonism is tied to one particular prophet getting things 100% correct in a way that Judaism simply is not. (Or in the case of St. Paul, Christianity simply is not.)

• Agree
Reactions: BigDaddy4
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.