Midwest
✟156,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You refer, then, to the origin of species - something that was central to Darwinism, but is not included in the modern definition of Evolution. Evolution is currently defined as the change in allele frequencies of a population.

"Change in allele frequency" means that children have a different DNA sequence than their parents. "Population" refers to a group of organisms that can interbreed and produce fertile offspring. That is not possible between species.

Of course descent with modification, and thereby the origin of new species as a consequence of evolution, is accepted by biologists. But I want to make clear it is an inductive conclusion from the process of evolution, and is not included in the definition of evolution itself. It is a very important distinction to understand, as I said near the beginning of this article. And it does get confusing as biology works with both the field of Evolutionary Biology and the mechanism of Evolution, and is lax about keeping those two things separate. Again, it's not a fatal problem. My own field has similar problems.

Why is that important? Because grasping that distinction means biologists must accept the possibility that life had multiple origins. In fact, most biologists now accept that there were multiple origins. What they conclude, however, is that all of those origin events either merged or died out such that there is a point in history where a single population can be identified (LUCA) from which all currently existing life evolved.

Why do they conclude that? It's not an unreasonable conclusion, but at the same time it's a pretty weak position. In fact, some biologists have started to challenge that conclusion, which I find very exciting.
This is over my head. By multiple origins does that mean Adam and Eve werent the first humans as the Bible says? And if so, as a fellow LCMS member do you believe that or that we’re all descended from the first two people, Adam and Eve?

Upvote 0

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,555.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is over my head.

I'm willing to try explaining any of it. In the meantime, I'll keep that in mind and try to find a different way to say things.

By multiple origins does that mean Adam and Eve werent the first humans as the Bible says?

No, it means humans and apes may have been created separately. Or birds and dinosaurs.

And if so, as a fellow LCMS member do you believe that or that we’re all descended from the first two people, Adam and Eve?

I believe we're all descended from Adam and Eve.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm willing to try explaining any of it. In the meantime, I'll keep that in mind and try to find a different way to say things.

No, it means humans and apes may have been created separately. Or birds and dinosaurs.

I believe we're all descended from Adam and Eve.
Ok, good!

Upvote 0