Mar 19, 2004
✟1,437.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi to all Mormons on this site. I will start out by saying that I have serious disagreements with you, and I have been researching your doctrine lately and discovering just how serious those disagreements are. So that is why I'm going to request, to all Christian (as defined by CF) CF members, that this thread not in any way turn into a Mormon bashing thread. I am not going to insult or argue with you, I am going to listen.

In my research I have found a lot of discussion about Mormon beliefs but few quotes to back it up, and I'm becoming somewhat confused.

First, do you all believe in the Law of Eternal Progression?

Second, do you believe that Jesus and Lucifer are blood brothers?

Third, why do women have to be married in "eternal marriage" ceremonies to get into heaven? Is it because, as I've heard, they don't have souls; or for some other reason?

Fourth, because you don't believe in original sin, do you believe that a human could, theoretically, never sin and live a perfect life?

Lastly, why doesn't www.mormon.org mention any of this? It took me a few hours of searching to actually find any of these doctrines on the web.

Thank you for your openness. I will post more questions as I continue my research.

Visage of Glory

Mar 21, 2004
Spanish Fork, Utah
✟8,267.00
Faith
Mormon

Please explain what you mean by this. I know that some people here have a different definition of this than I do.

Impossible. Lucifer never recieved a body, never had blood. Was he created spiritually with Jehovah by God? Yes.

Third, why do women have to be married in "eternal marriage" ceremonies to get into heaven? Is it because, as I've heard, they don't have souls; or for some other reason?
They don't have to be married to get into the Celestial Kingdom. They have to be married in the temple of God to reach the highest level of the Celestial kingdom, but so do men. They definitely have souls.

Fourth, because you don't believe in original sin, do you believe that a human could, theoretically, never sin and live a perfect life?

Theoretically, perhaps. Does the baby that dies immediately after death have any sins on his head? Not in my opinion. That is why he goes to the Celestial Kingdom. Has the five year old who gets hit by a car and dies sinned, even though he may have lied to his parents? He has, but he is not accountable for any of his sins. However, man is not perfect. That much I know. Only one man has lived sinless, Jesus Christ. Without him, all men would be unclean before God.

Upvote 0

arizona_sunshine

Dec 15, 2003
✟3,323.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Surprised by joy said:

We believe that men has the opportunity for eternal progression, but I am not sure I have heard it referred to as a 'law.' I may be wrong. I define eternal progression as the opportunity we have to return to our Heavenly Father, learn from Him for eternity, and follow His example for eternity. Our understanding of God's example is different than that of mainstream Christianity in that we believe He is our literal spiritual Father.

As Visage stated, Lucifer never gained the opportunity to recieve a body because he rejected God in the pre-existance. Therefore, he does not have blood nor physical brothers / sisters. His opportunity for 'eternal progression' was ended with his decision [to reject God] while ours (those on earth) continued. LDS beliefs are that all of us, including Christ and Lucifer were spiritual brothers and sisters as children of God in the pre-existance.

Eternal marriage is necessary for entrance to the Celestial Kingdom for both male and female, who are provided the opportunity. For those who have not had that opportunity, vicarious temple work will make it available to them for their progression. We believe women have souls, those who would disagree are tragically misinformed. In fact, we believe all things were created spiritually before they were created physically, so all things from plants to animals, exist on a spiritual level.

Theoretically, yes. That is how it was possible for Christ. We do not believe that 'immaculate conception' occured to preserve Christ from the inherent consequences of original sin. We do believe that He was concieved in this way because He is literal the physical Son of God - the Only Begotten of the Father on this earth.

Lastly, why doesn't www.mormon.org mention any of this? It took me a few hours of searching to actually find any of these doctrines on the web.

Those facets of our beliefs are not mentioned on mormon.org because they are misrepresentations of our beliefs, as explained above, and because mormon.org is an introductory website with a basic presentation. If you are interested in finded more about our scriptures, try www.lds.org and a treasury of publications with any searchable topic is available here: Gospel Library

Please remember that the official doctrine of the church is limited to what has been canonized as scripture.

Upvote 0

disciple00

Jan 21, 2004
guatemala
✟617.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
hey there
i am glad to see you are asking questions and tryign to do some legitamate research, I was once a Mormon, i know quite a bit about the less talked about doctrines of the Mormon sect, my parents are quite the disciples of joseph smith.
i shall answer your questions one by one:)

the mormons who believe the stuff originally taught by J.S. do.

the mormans believe that we we're are all spiritually sired by God and his wife in heaven (or kolob), in that sense they belive that jesus is our big brother, however the doctrine gets a little fuzzy afterthat. if you have studied the Adam-God doctrine that Mr. young preached then you would believe that satan was actually the son of jesus and the grandson of whom we refer to as ''God'' however the adam-god doctrine hasn't been taught in the mormon church for a long long time and therefore most mormans have never heard of it.

to answer this one i am goign to have to apoligise in advance, sorry but this will make the mormons look bad.
mormons do not believe in original sin and consequently they dont believe in grace either (because you can't have the one without the other) mormons believe in works based salvation. temple marriage is something they say you must have in order to get to heaven (or you you have studied the eternal progression stuff, heaven is little more than the next round) never mind the fact that nobody in the old testament was ver married in the temple as the temle was for making animal sacrifice.

no, they believe that (as the articles of faith clearly state) there is no original sin, and we will suffer for our own sins ( no more grace, and no need for jesus either)

some mormons will tell you ''cast not pearls before swine'' others will tell you that these doctrines are too sacrd to be taught openly, and others will just look at you like a mule dear looks at an oncomming semitruck...
in reality the mormon church has abandoned every believe they have held when it has become controversial, for example poligamy (still in practice amungst isolated groups) they also taught that blackmen couldn't have ''the priesthood'' but that was dropped around the civil rights movement.
however if you have ever read the book of hebrews in the new testament you would know that the aaronic priesthood was done away with and that jesu sis our high priest forever after the order of melchezadok (i am sure i spelled that wrong) however mormon doctrine claims that they hold both priesthoods (even though the bible clearly states that the one replaced the other) anyhow i must be going... i hope i have ben at least somewhat helpful

disciple00

Upvote 0

Surprised by joy

The Cuteness
Mar 19, 2004
✟1,437.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi again. First, what I mean by the Law (or not law, whatever) of Eternal Progression is that we were originally spirits who were sent to earth into physical bodies in order to learn good from evil, and (have I got this right?) those who end up learning good get the chance to become gods and have all sorts of little spirit-kiddies and then eventually create a planet for them, and so on and so forth.

What I meant by "blood brothers" was not literally blood brothers, but both spiritually sired (however that is possible) by God. I use this terminology because I had an adopted brother, and though I did not call him my "blood brother", I did call him my brother. Blood in that sense means sired by the same parent/s.

Thank you, you've answered my other questions quite adequately.

Three more questions: what part does Jesus play? Please try to be very clear and simple, as I am very confused. Did God need to have a sacrificial figure in order to get himself into heaven (when I say heaven, I mean the one with God in it, not the lower ones) in the first place? Do we get into heaven based on what we've done? What is the necessity of Jesus' sacrifice?

Also, I'm also very confused about the Jehovah/God thing. If God created Jehovah, then who is Jehovah?

Lastly, what is the Adam-God doctrine, and is it currently official doctrine?

Again, thank you. I appreciate the insight and (knowing myself) will continue to be as curious as your patience will allow.

-- SBJ

Upvote 0

Visage of Glory

Mar 21, 2004
Spanish Fork, Utah
✟8,267.00
Faith
Mormon
to answer this one i am goign to have to apoligise in advance, sorry but this will make the mormons look bad.
mormons do not believe in original sin and consequently they dont believe in grace either (because you can't have the one without the other)
and
no, they believe that (as the articles of faith clearly state) there is no original sin, and we will suffer for our own sins ( no more grace, and no need for jesus either)

Please explain how because there was no original sin, there is no need for Jesus. I cannot enter into God's presence unclean, dirtied by sin. I have sinned. I would have to pay for those sins in hell except for one wonderful thing, Jesus suffered and died for my sins, and when I repent of them, they are forgiven and forgotten. This is how I can go back to live with my Heavenly Father. It would not be possible without Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

usetheforce

Mar 16, 2004
✟475.00
Faith
Mormon
Another "expert"..... :(

Please note Surprised by Joy, that the above person has told several falsehoods of LDS Theology and history.
Truth is used to tell Great Lies.
I'm not interested in directly responding, because it's done over and over but is ignored and not corrected.
However, you can rely upon the LDS responces above, they are based on the Truth of LDS Beliefs and not a perverted misrepresentation of such.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Surprised by joy said:
Do we get into heaven based on what we've done? What is the necessity of Jesus' sacrifice?

In Mormonism(I'm an ex-Mormon), it is necessary to not only have faith in Christ but to accept the Mormon teachings and be baptized into their church if you want to be with God the Father in the next life.

Also, I'm also very confused about the Jehovah/God thing. If God created Jehovah, then who is Jehovah?

Jehovah is Jesus. God the Father is known as Elohim or Heavenly Father.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
usetheforce said:
Another "expert"..... :(

Please note Surprised by Joy, that the above person has told several falsehoods of LDS Theology and history.
Truth is used to tell Great Lies.
I'm not interested in directly responding, because it's done over and over but is ignored and not corrected.
However, you can rely upon the LDS responces above, they are based on the Truth of LDS Beliefs and not a perverted misrepresentation of such.

It is rude of you to imply that only LDS are honest people when there are dishonest LDS as well as dishonest non-LDS.

Upvote 0

emerald Dragon

Oct 27, 2003
Upstate New York
✟1,562.00
Faith
Mormon
Surprised by joy said:
Hi to all Mormons on this site. I will start out by saying that I have serious disagreements with you, and I have been researching your doctrine lately and discovering just how serious those disagreements are.
And you are entitled to this opinion.

So that is why I'm going to request, to all Christian (as defined by CF) CF members, that this thread not in any way turn into a Mormon bashing thread. I am not going to insult or argue with you, I am going to listen.
Much appreciated. I like a person who seeks to understand without bing degrading.
In my research I have found a lot of discussion about Mormon beliefs but few quotes to back it up, and I'm becoming somewhat confused.

I don't know. I have yet to see official doctrine on this. I do know that man is allowed the chance to progress themselves, to become, not God, but like Him, as teh bible says.

No. They are not blosd brothers, but brothers of spirit, who have the same Heavenly Father. Likewise, we are spiritual brothers to each other and Christ. We become even closer brothers by acceting Christ.

They have souls. Likewise, men must be eternally married. The door swings bothe ways here. It is a commandment, and I am unsure of the reason behind it. I am unaware if that reason has been revealed yet.

No. We are born into sin, but believe that we cannot be held accountable for Adam's transgression. We can only be held accountable for our own sins, and we cannot sin if we do not know what sin is, or what right and wrong is. That is why we do not baptize at birth, but years later.

Thank you for your openness. I will post more questions as I continue my research.

I think it has something to do with "milk before the meat." Don't choke the person on too much. Also, I think it is to get them interested enough to call the missionaries, and then ask them questions.

God Bless,
Emerald Dragon

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Doc T

Senior Veteran
Oct 28, 2003
✟5,246.00
Faith
Mormon
GodsWordisTrue said:
It is rude of you to imply that only LDS are honest people when there are dishonest LDS as well as dishonest non-LDS.

I don't believe Usetheforce ment to imply that LDS are honest and non-LDS are not honest for this is certainly not the case.

What I have observed, however, is that after a person has been out of the LDS church for sometime that their memory begins to fade as to exactly are LDS doctrines. I have seen in some cases what their understanding of LDS doctrines were incorrect before they even left the church.

This "incorrect memory" is particularly made worse if they read our critics' distortions of our beliefs, and this then becomes their "memory".

Doc

~

Upvote 0

Visage of Glory

Mar 21, 2004
Spanish Fork, Utah
✟8,267.00
Faith
Mormon
Surprised by joy said:
Hi again. First, what I mean by the Law (or not law, whatever) of Eternal Progression is that we were originally spirits who were sent to earth into physical bodies in order to learn good from evil, and (have I got this right?) those who end up learning good get the chance to become gods and have all sorts of little spirit-kiddies and then eventually create a planet for them, and so on and so forth.

What I meant by "blood brothers" was not literally blood brothers, but both spiritually sired (however that is possible) by God. I use this terminology because I had an adopted brother, and though I did not call him my "blood brother", I did call him my brother. Blood in that sense means sired by the same parent/s.
Then yes, God created both Lucifer and Jehovah spiritually.

Thank you, you've answered my other questions quite adequately
Three more questions: what part does Jesus play? Please try to be very clear and simple, as I am very confused.
Jesus is the Savior of the world. Without him, no one would be able to return to live with God. Simple enough?

Did God need to have a sacrificial figure in order to get himself into heaven (when I say heaven, I mean the one with God in it, not the lower ones) in the first place?
I am not sure what you mean here, but God has always been God.

Do we get into heaven based on what we've done? What is the necessity of Jesus' sacrifice?
We have to follow the commandments that God has given us. We do this because we have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, the Redeemer, who will be our advocate with the Father. He suffered and died for our sins, so that we can be saved.

He is Jesus the God before he came to Earth.

Lastly, what is the Adam-God doctrine, and is it currently official doctrine?
Honestly, I don't know the Adam-God doctrine, since I have never been taught it.
Again, thank you. I appreciate the insight and (knowing myself) will continue to be as curious as your patience will allow.

-- SBJ

Go ahead. I like answering questions, even ones that to which I don't know the answers.

Upvote 0

Surprised by joy

The Cuteness
Mar 19, 2004
✟1,437.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ok. You've answered a few of my questions and, of course, raised a few more.

VisageofGlory said:
I am not sure what you mean here, but God has always been God.

Here are a few quotes from a website called mormonhaven. It does not supply any evidence that it correctly explains mormon doctrine; what I want here is evidence (from MD, D&C, History of Church, or other books of Mormon doctrine of which I haven't heard) that either supports or contradicts the doctrine of this website:

3. If Gods are individuals who have passed through mortality and have progressed to Godhood, how has one person of the Trinity (the Holy Spirit) attained Godhood without getting a body? (see Acts 5:3.4)
A: Special Case. The Holy Spirit can not dwell inside someone if He has a body. When His existence as a spirit is no longer necessary He may some day get one.

4. When God was a man (According to Mormon theology) where did He live before He could create a planet upon which to live?
A: Probably on a planet that His Father created. We don't know. We don't need to know. (See Note to question #1)

7. How can any men ever become Gods when the Bible says, "Before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me"? (see Isaiah 43:10).
A: Sort of the same circumstances as in question # 6 above. When this scripture is not read out of context you get a slightly different understanding of it.
In verse 1 of Isaiah 43 the Lord identifies who he is talking to:
"BUT now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called [thee] by thy name; thou [art] mine."
Here God is not talking to or about people of other universes that have or will exist. He is talking to those whom He created. He is ours, we are His. His authority is over us and no one else.
Then if you look at verse 11 God says, "I, [even] I, [am] the LORD; and beside me [there is] no saviour." Each universe that has existed or will exist will have its own Savior. God is saying that He is the only God and only savior that we will need. Only He will save us and redeem us from death. Everything God said in the Bible is for us and only us, existing at this time in this universe.
Therefore when He says, "there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me" Christ is declaring that He is the only one the Father exalted to authority over His fellow brothers and sisters, not that His brothers and sisters cannot become like Him and His Father.

(I took these quotes from http://www.mormonhaven.com/nature.htm)

Here is a quote from History of Church, which seems to sum up what I've been reading:

My Father worked out His Kingdom with fear and trembling, and I must do the same; and when I get my kingdom, I shall present it to My Father, so that He may obtain Kingdom upon Kingdom, and it will exalt Him in glory. He will then take a higher exaltation, and I will take His place, and thereby become exalted myself.

That is supposedly in Volume 6 page 306. However, I do not have access (at the moment) to the book, and I cannot verify the quote.

Upvote 0

Visage of Glory

Mar 21, 2004
Spanish Fork, Utah
✟8,267.00
Faith
Mormon
Ok, here are is what I have to say on these questions.

3. If Gods are individuals who have passed through mortality and have progressed to Godhood, how has one person of the Trinity (the Holy Spirit) attained Godhood without getting a body? (see Acts 5:3.4)

First, I have a problem with the way this question is worded. I know of no doctrine that says Gods have to be men before they are Gods. That is simply how it must be done for us. Jehovah was God before he came to Earth. God is infinite, eternal, unchangeable, from everlasting to everlasting. (D&C 20:17)

4. When God was a man (According to Mormon theology) where did He live before He could create a planet upon which to live?

Since he was God before he was a man, he could easily created one himself. Indeed, Jesus lived on an Earth that was created by him. Behold, I am Jesus Christ the Son of God, I created the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are. I was with the Father from the beginning... 3rd Nephi 9:15

7. How can any men ever become Gods when the Bible says, "Before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me"? (see Isaiah 43:10).

I find the answer they give to be proper. However, you could always look at it from this point of view. If God is the Alpha and the Omega, there could logically be nothing before him, nor after him. He is eternal.

My Father worked out His Kingdom with fear and trembling, and I must do the same; and when I get my kingdom, I shall present it to My Father, so that He may obtain Kingdom upon Kingdom, and it will exalt Him in glory. He will then take a higher exaltation, and I will take His place, and thereby become exalted myself
Well, for one thing, the History of the Church is not actual doctrine. That being said, there is very little that is wrong in this statement. The only problem with it is that he says he will take God's place when he is exalted higher. I think that is wrong. We can become gods, not God.

D&C 132:20
20. Then shall they be gods, because they have no end; therefore shall they be from everlasting to everlasting because they continue; then shall they be above all, because all things are subject to them. Then shall they be gods, because they have all power, and the angels are subject unto them.

Upvote 0

Surprised by joy

The Cuteness
Mar 19, 2004
✟1,437.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for your frank answers.

What about these two questions and answers, also from mormonhaven:

5. When God number one was a man (before He became God), who created a planet upon which he (man number one) could live?

A: There was no God number one. This has been going on in the eternal past and will continue on in the eternal future.(See Note to question #1)

6. God said, "Is there a God beside me? Yea, there is no God; I KNOW NOT ANY"(Isaiah 44:8). How can there be Gods who are Elohim's ancestors?

A: In this scripture Jehovah was trying to persuade the Israelites from worshipping the many false gods of their neighbors, and he wanted them to focus on their God, Jehovah, who is Jesus Christ. Even though the LDS believe in the existence of other gods, they do not worship them since they have no authority over them. In 1 Cor. 8:5,6 it says: "For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)
But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him."
Paul is saying that even though there are many gods and lords, we worship only God the Father. We worship Him alone since He is the Father of our spirits (Heb. 12:9). We all have parents and are subject to them only and not to our grand parents or great grand parents or anyone else's parents. The same idea applies to God.

In 1 Cor. 5-6 Paul is not refering to the idols mentioned in verse 4, because he follows this statement, referring to those that are called gods, with the words, "whether in heaven or in earth..." I have never seen heaven, but I do not expect to find any idols there for people to worship as gods. So, while "idols" may indeed be inclusive in those that are "called gods," it is by no means an exclusive term, with the qualifier that follows.
Paul is making a distinction between the God we worship and those who are believers or followers of God who can also be called "gods". In biblical terms, those who are worthy to share in all the power and glory that God himself has are called "gods":
"Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High" (Psalms 82:6)
"Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?" (John 10:34)
So the "gods many and lords many" that he is talking about are those people refered to in these two scriptures above, who either have the potential to become gods or already are gods.
Latter-day scriptures refer to several persons, including Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, who once lived on earth and who are now resurrected beings and have earned godhood.(D&C 132:37)
Even though these other gods (Abraham, Isaac, Jacob) exist we do not worship them.

This site apparently supports the belief that there are many "Gods" who have fathered many other "Gods", the same process continuing "from everlasting to everlasting".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Surprised by joy said:
That is supposedly in Volume 6 page 306. However, I do not have access (at the moment) to the book, and I cannot verify the quote.

The quote you mentioned is part of the King Follet Discourse (funeral sermon given by Joseph Smith):

Histor4y of the Church said:
The Righteous Dwell in Everlasting Burnings

These are the first principles of consolation. How consoling to the mourners when they are called to part with a husband, wife, father, mother, child, or dear relative, to know that, although the earthly tabernacle is laid down and dissolved, they shall rise again and dwell in everlasting burnings in immortal glory, not to sorrow, suffer, or die any more, but they shall be heirs of God and joint heirs with Jesus Christ. What is it? To inherit the same power, the same glory and the same exaltation, until you arrive at the station of a god, and ascend the throne of eternal power, the same as those who have gone before. What did Jesus do? Why, I do the things I saw my Father do when worlds came rolling into existence. My Father worked out His kingdom with fear and trembling, and I must do the same; and when I get my kingdom, I shall present it to My Father, so that He may obtain kingdom upon kingdom, and it will exalt Him in glory. He will take a higher exaltation, and I will take His place, and thereby become exalted myself. So that Jesus treads in the tracks of His Father, and inherits what God did before; and God is thus glorified and exalted in the salvation and exaltation of all His children. It is plain beyond disputation, and you thus learn some of the first principles of the gospel, about which so much hath been said.

I have this book right here beside my computer at the moment.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Doc T said:
I don't believe Usetheforce ment to imply that LDS are honest and non-LDS are not honest for this is certainly not the case.

What I have observed, however, is that after a person has been out of the LDS church for sometime that their memory begins to fade as to exactly are LDS doctrines. I have seen in some cases what their understanding of LDS doctrines were incorrect before they even left the church.

This "incorrect memory" is particularly made worse if they read our critics' distortions of our beliefs, and this then becomes their "memory".

Doc

~

Perhaps the person's memory is without fault. You see you weren't there to know what they were taught. And you are in no position to judge another's memory.

I have noticed that LDS like to accuse critics of distorting things.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Joseph Smith explained, "...I am going to tell you how God came to be God. We have imagined and supposed that God was God from all eternity. I will refute that idea, and take away the veil, so that you may see...He was once a man like us; yea, that God himself, the father of us all, dwelt on the earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself did...Here, then, is eternal life - to know the only wise and true God; and you have to learn to be Gods yourselves...the same as all Gods have done before you." (LDS History of the Church, Vol. 6, p. 304-306 & similar quote in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, by Joseph Fielding Smith, p. 345-347).

Lorenzo Snow said, "As man is, God once was, and as God is, man may become." (Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 430).

Lorenzo Snow may have started this "little couplet" as Hinckley now calls it, but Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, and virtually every General Authority since then (including Hinckley himself!) has taught it. See D&C 130 for a scriptural reference where it is nearly canonized.

Brigham Young said, "If our Father and God should be disposed to walk these aisles, we should not know Him from one of the congregation. You would see a man and that is all you would know about Him." (Journal of Discourses, Vol. II, p.40).

"When the Savior shall appear we shall see him as he is. We shall see that he is a man like ourselves." (Doctrine and Covenants 130: 1).

"The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man's; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us." (Doctrine and Covenants 130:22).

Joseph Smith proclaimed that God had a Father. (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, by Joseph Fielding Smith, p. 373 in 1940 edition).

"God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens!...........It is the first principle of the gospel to know for a certainty the character of God........yea, that God himself, the father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself did; and I will show it from the Bible...." (from Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith and History of the Church, 6:302-17)

"He [God] is our Father--the Father of our spirits, and was once a man in mortal flesh as we are, and is now an exalted being. It appears ridiculous to the world, under their darkened and erroneous traditions, that God has once been a finite being;" (Brigham Young in the Journal of Discourses, v. 7, p. 333)

"The Gods who dwell in the Heaven...have been redeemed from the grave in a world which existed before the foundations of this earth were laid. They and the Heavenly body which they now inhabit were once in a fallen state....they were exalted also, from fallen men to Celestial Gods to inhabit their Heaven forever and ever." (Apostle Orson Pratt in The Seer, page 23)

"You and I--what helpless creatures are we! Such limited power we have, and how little can we control the wind and the waves and the storms! We remember the numerous scriptures which, concentrated in a single line, were stated by a former prophet, Lorenzo Snow: 'As man is, God once was; and as God is, man may become.'" (President Spencer W. Kimball in "Our Great Potential" from the April 1977 Priesthood Session of General Conference)

It's not official doctrine, but the LDS prophets thought it was.

Upvote 0

Surprised by joy

The Cuteness
Mar 19, 2004
✟1,437.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Shameless bump -- but please answer. Are the last few posts by me, and then GodsWordisTrue, in your (mormon) opinions correct doctrinally? Especially comment on GodsWordisTrue's post quoting Joseph Smith, the one beginning, "I am going to tell you how God came to be God."

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Surprised by joy said:
Shameless bump -- but please answer. Are the last few posts by me, and then GodsWordisTrue, in your (mormon) opinions correct doctrinally? Especially comment on GodsWordisTrue's post quoting Joseph Smith, the one beginning, "I am going to tell you how God came to be God."

FB: It is not our doctrine that God became God by being like us. That does not make it a false statement, but that it is not our doctrine. Presidents of the church may have made statements which might support this position, but again this does not make doctrine. We do not know how God came to be. We can speculate all we as much as anti mormons do about what we believe in. Does not make it offical doctrine.

We do believe that we can become like the Father, and that he has commanded us to to be like him.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.