Mar 13, 2017
✟187,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Saw this post of a single gal looking for churches in the area that have some kind of singles group going on. Many posted their corresponding churches, then one that stood out was a woman that was doing mission work in these parts for Latter Day Saints (she had a professional, plastic name tag in pretty much all in her photos identifying her as such, I guess name tags are a thing? )

Anyways, the woman that's asking for help to find a church said to this woman that she is opposed to the sketchy agenda that Latter Day Saints have...(I'm just paraphrasing), but she said she didn't approve of their teachings as opposed to a traditional non-denominational church.

What do you suppose she meant by that?

Hawthorne

CF Singles High Council
Sep 1, 2005
Going to and fro and up and down in the earth.
✟44,826.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
LDS are not Christian and thus many of their teachings are opposed to Christianity. For one thing, they believe the natural trajectory of humanity is to become gods, just as they believe "God" God was once a man. There are a myriad of websites you can find showing the differences between Christianity and Mormonism.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,883.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I would say the main difference w/ Latter Day Saints + other Christians is their view of the Trinity. They view the Son & the Holy Spirit as created by the Father. They believe Joseph Smith was the last prophet & the Latter Day Saints church he set-up is the one true church.

He added a bunch of other teachings. Either what happened in the past (one of the Tribes of Israel moved to North America) or what will happen someday (you will become a god after you die & God himself was once a human). They have a lot of bizarre teachings like that. I would say nothing overly heretical, like ‘Jesus didn’t perform miracles’ or ‘the Bible was just made up’, it’s a different kind of hersey where you write more to it.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,558.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
LDS are not considered Christian by CF standards because they reject Christ as Divine and the Holy Trinity.

I tried reading the Book of Mormon- and I gave up after two pages. It was too difficult and my brain wasn't absorbing any information.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,883.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
LDS are not considered Christian by CF standards because they reject Christ as Divine and the Holy Trinity.

I tried reading the Book of Mormon- and I gave up after two pages. It was too difficult and my brain wasn't absorbing any information.
I tried reading it as well. I read the 1st book or 2 & then skipped to the Jesus parts. Most of that was just Copy & Pasted from the Gospels. Then the Semester was ending & I had to give it back to the friend I borrowed it from. Someday I want to try reading it again.

Upvote 0

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟141,466.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Divinization or deification is a Christian doctrine supported by numerous early Church fathers and suggested by a few Bible verses like 2 Peter 1:4, "Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust."

Martin Luther spoke on it as well, "That is how, as I have said often enough, faith makes us lords, and love makes of us servants. Indeed, by faith we become gods and partake of the divine nature and name, as Psalm 81 says: 'I have said, you are gods and children all together of the highest of the high.'"

The doctrine presumably fell out of favor sometime in the evolution of Protestantism. It is still held by Catholicism and Eastern Orthodox. I don't know where Joseph Smith got the idea that God had once been man though.

Upvote 0