kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
34-year-old nurse in L.A. pulled over for talking on her cell phone while driving. Result? Handcuffed, tackled to the ground twice. Cops fist-pump in celebration.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

One cop fired, the other relegated to desk duty. Police chief airs the video at all the roll calls, as an example of excessive force.

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
What's refreshingly different about this police abuse story, I find, is that the cops were actually DISCIPLINED. Indeed, the reason we have the video is because the police chief released it and sent it around as an example of what behavior he will not tolerate on his police force.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What's refreshingly different about this police abuse story, I find, is that the cops were actually DISCIPLINED. Indeed, the reason we have the video is because the police chief released it and sent it around as an example of what behavior he will not tolerate on his police force.

yep.

-Dan.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Redbull + Donuts = overbloated sense of physical authority.

Close,
Redbull+donuts+overbloated sense of authority= above the law use of force.

I think the woman does something to irritate the cop, I see her legs move just prior to her being thrown to the ground. To far away to see why it happened the second time.

But even if she did something not seen because the two cops blocked the video, I can't think of anything short of her grabbing male parts being deserved of this treatment. Since it wasn't mentioned, I assume that is not the case. (and neither seems to be in pain)

I do give a :thumbsup: for the police chiefs words, rather then try to cover it up, he is showing that this is not tolerated and that until proven different the cuffed person is assumed to be a victim. (I am not saying it is not police brutality, just saying everyone including police, are innocent until proven otherwise.)

Upvote 0

athenken

Barbary pirates? Or are they?
Nov 30, 2011
West Texas
✟27,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good for the police chief, however, I would not consider this discipline. It sounds more like punishment, considering he fired one of the officers. If it were truly discipline he would have forced the officers to ask forgiveness of the woman they mistreated. Sure, what she was pulled over for was against the law, but the consequence really did not fit the crime.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
What the police officers did was wrong and gave a black eye to all police officers.

It's this type of attitude that attempts to give all police officers black eyes.

not all police officers act like this. In fact, most of them are fine upstanding police officers who've never been in trouble and who do everything by the book.

What these cops did gave themselves a black eye. The police chief avoided the black eye on his department by addressing it head on and not trying to sugar coat it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good points; I just wonder what sort of evidence the cops have against her

Close,
Redbull+donuts+overbloated sense of authority= above the law use of force.

I think the woman does something to irritate the cop, I see her legs move just prior to her being thrown to the ground. To far away to see why it happened the second time.

But even if she did something not seen because the two cops blocked the video, I can't think of anything short of her grabbing male parts being deserved of this treatment. Since it wasn't mentioned, I assume that is not the case. (and neither seems to be in pain)

I do give a :thumbsup: for the police chiefs words, rather then try to cover it up, he is showing that this is not tolerated and that until proven different the cuffed person is assumed to be a victim. (I am not saying it is not police brutality, just saying everyone including police, are innocent until proven otherwise.)

Upvote 0
O

OneWithTime

The officer did not body slam the gal just so you know. For those who do not know what a body slam is......... it implies lifting the person to chest height or above the head and physically throwing them on the ground, not tackling them. This thread peeked my interest because I thought an officer body slammed a woman but he did not.

ht_wwe_kevin4_061017_ssv.jpg

Anyways I must say that cops sure are getting serious on this cellphone issue. It just gives them more excuses to pull you over.
I recall passing by LAX to go to my urologist and I saw 3 pull overs on my way there and 4 coming back home.
I was just shocked by what the police were doing because nobody was speeding or anything. This cellphone issue is becoming a hassle honestly

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The officer did not body slam the gal just so you know. For those who do not know what a body slam is......... it implies lifting the person to chest height or above the head and physically throwing them on the ground, not tackling them. This thread peeked my interest because I thought an officer body slammed a woman but he did not.

That was my first thought as well...so yeah...no bodyslamming here.

Anyways I must say that cops sure are getting serious on this cellphone issue. It just gives them more excuses to pull you over.
I recall passing by LAX to go to my urologist and I saw 3 pull overs on my way there and 4 coming back home.
I was just shocked by what the police were doing because nobody was speeding or anything. This cellphone issue is becoming a hassle honestly

When you lose a friend in a car accident that was due to someone fiddling with their phone you might understand then what all the fuss is about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP

Those are professionals who know what they are doing and how to react performing a choreographed act on a forgiving surface of their own volition. She was a civilian forcefully and unexpectedly driven into pavement against her will. If you're gonna make the definition stick to what they do in the WWE, then if "body slamming" is the wrong term to describe what happened to her, it's only because it understates what happened to her. A body slam in the squared circle is peanuts compared to what was done to her. So while perhaps not technically a "body slam" in the annals of fake sport, her body was slammed to the ground.

Upvote 0

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
What the police officers did was wrong and gave a black eye to all police officers.

I agree, it was wrong, but what I would say gives a black eye to all police officers is when they get off scott free, saying they "followed the policy to the letter". When that happens, it is the "policy" that is wrong; and hence, all police officers. And that black eye is very much justified.

Fortunately, though, that is not what happened this time.

Upvote 0