United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This house burned down:

Or your picture is actually a green screen.

Or a movie set
haunted house movie set for 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: Torah Keeper
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
...Let's say someone broke, and then a second person wrote down a statement claiming that he had not broken, but had simply placed the balls in this position....
I'm guessing the 2nd person has never seen a pool break and has no way to conceptualize that possibility.

And thats why he wrote the statement.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
From AV's Pool Challenge thread...

Now, I looked at this and thought that the situation wasn't taking into account everything it should have. So I presented an alternative situation...

Let's say someone broke, and then a second person wrote down a statement claiming that he had not broken, but had simply placed the balls in this position. Later, a third person comes in, reads the documentation and concludes that the documentation MUST be right, and anyone who says the balls reached this position as a result of regular play is terribly wrong. The third person refuses to consider any alternative, and claims, "The documentation says it, that settles it!"

Is the third person right?

You may assume he is wrong and also ask a question: Who broke the balls?

Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,097.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Based my presumption about the 2nd persons lack of knowledge or lack of imagination. Its a good explanation for the whole scenario.

Unfortunately, that conclusion is not supported because the documentation makes it clear that what we see on the table is entirely consistent with someone placing the balls there rather than breaking.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How do you know?
1 Thessalonians 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

I like what my pastor says:

Man isn't smart enough ... or wise enough ... to have written the Bible.

Reactions: Torah Keeper
Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,097.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
1 Thessalonians 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

I like what my pastor says:

Man isn't smart enough ... or wise enough ... to have written the Bible.

So you believe the Bible because the Bible says it is true.

The documentation about the pool table also claims that it is true.

So again, I ask you why you believe one and not the other.

And don't try to claim that man couldn't have written the Bible. People of lots of religions say that about their holy book. There's nothing in the Bible that man couldn't have written.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So you believe the Bible because the Bible says it is true.

The documentation about the pool table also claims that it is true.

So again, I ask you why you believe one and not the other.

And don't try to claim that man couldn't have written the Bible. People of lots of religions say that about their holy book. There's nothing in the Bible that man couldn't have written.
Have a nice day! :)

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,097.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Have a nice day! :)

It'd be a better day if you could answer my question. Why the double standard, AV? Why is it the third person is unjustified in accepting the documentation, but you are not unjustified in accepting the Bible?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Unfortunately, that conclusion is not supported because the documentation makes it clear that what we see on the table is entirely consistent with someone placing the balls there rather than breaking.
OK. I guess she's right then.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,097.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
OK. I guess she's right then.

You mean Person 3 is right to claim that the documentation is 100% correct, anyone who says the balls reached this position as a result of regular play is terribly wrong, and no other claims should even be considered?

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Or your picture is actually a green screen.

Or a movie set
haunted house movie set for 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

haha, whatever keeps you from admitting the obvious, ey?

I can see it before me now....
Your house burns down and then your insurance tells you "hey man, those ruins could just as well be a movie set - so we're not going to pay you".

You crack me up.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You mean Person 3 is right to claim that the documentation is 100% correct, anyone who says the balls reached this position as a result of regular play is terribly wrong, and no other claims should even be considered?
Well clearly that wasnt my initial position, as I was putting myself in person 3's place and evaluating person 2's mindset.

But you said that position was wrong.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,744.00
Faith
Atheist
This house burned down:

View attachment 217962

People walked here:

View attachment 217963

This car has crashed while driving:

View attachment 217964

All these are "historical events". None requires faith.
To be fair, we can't be certain what historical events those pictures depict. All three could have been constructed deliberately to look like actual events that never really happened (e.g. movie sets). However, we can increase our certainty by seeking corroborative evidence and eliminating alternative explanations (e.g. the local newspaper has a report of the house burning, and there's no record of a movie being made there, etc.).

Upvote 0