Nov 23, 2013
✟302,107.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
On 24 August 2006, the International Astronomical Union created a clear definition of what constitutes a planet. (Before this, there was no clear definition of what an object needed to count as a planet or not.)

The definition stated that a planet:

1. is in orbit around the Sun,
  2. has sufficient mass to assume hydrostatic equilibrium (a nearly round shape), and
  3. has "cleared the neighborhood" around its orbit.
By this definition, Pluto (which had long been considered a planet) was no longer counted as a planet. Instead, it was placed into a category called "Dwarf Planet", since it fit only the first two criteria.

My challenge is this:

Does reclassifying Pluto to be a dwarf planet change our scientific understanding of Pluto in any way? If so, what way?

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
As far as I understand it, it´s something like this:
I have a commode for my smaller clothings - say, one drawer for underpants, one for footwear, one for ties, one for gloves, etc.
At some point, I decide to have separate drawers for socks and stockings.
Absolutely nothing about my understanding of clothings in general and footwear in particular changes.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
On 24 August 2006, the International Astronomical Union created a clear definition of what constitutes a planet. (Before this, there was no clear definition of what an object needed to count as a planet or not.)

2. has sufficient mass to assume hydrostatic equilibrium (a nearly round shape), and
By this definition, Pluto (which had long been considered a planet) was no longer counted as a planet. Instead, it was placed into a category called "Dwarf Planet", since it fit only the first two criteria.

My challenge is this:

Does reclassifying Pluto to be a dwarf planet change our scientific understanding of Pluto in any way? If so, what way?

We do not know much about Pluto. There is not much to challenge about.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

So the one criteria that sets Pluto apart from the other eight planets is so vague it is put in quotes?

Sounds sciency to me.

Does anyone know what "cleared the neighborhood around its orbit" mean?

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
So the one criteria that sets Pluto apart from the other eight planets is so vague it is put in quotes?

Sounds sciency to me.

Yes.

Reactions: pgp_protector
Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,563.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Sounds sciency to me.

yes

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It changes nothing about the facts of Pluto per se, but it is a big conceptual change.
It alters what many understand as the 'solar system' and the popular view.

In two or three generations Pluto will likely become as little known as other random rocks in the solar system. It will become a random trivia fact thrown around that it used to be called a planet. Demented geriatrics may grumble about it, while their grandchildren will be blithely unaware of it.

• Haha
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.