Knowing when God DOESN'T want you to do something?

sjdean

Sep 9, 2008
✟7,932.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
So much is said about testing, and praying, and the fruits of the holy spirit being peace, love, joy etc and that you'll know what the right course of action is, whether that's the way to go, if you get this.

Well, does it work in reverse? Does the absence of those fruits indicate it's not a good choice?

I've been praying for one opportunity for many years, and I now have the opportunity. Had a bash at it. I was good. It could and will lead onto something more, the thing I wanted. But, the spark's not there. The joy, the love, the peace. Just non existant. The whole situation was completely devoid.

Now, it might just be my own self doubt and I need to give this time. Everyone is telling me to go for it, and try it. But at the same time, this, is, well, how can I say, fairly black and white. I feel so sure that now I actually have this opportunity, it's actually the wrong opportunity for me. There's something else Im called to do and this isn't it.

But I don't particularly want to make a decision on a whim and find out six months to the line that I regret the decision and that it was just be self doubt blocking the spirit.

Thanks
Simon

texastig

The diablo is in the phone booth dialing 911
Feb 24, 2007
✟14,230.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Bring your concerns to God and He will answer you. If you have the fruits of the Spirit in your life, your walking in the Spirit. If you don't, then your not walking in the Spirit.
If anything is not in accordance with God, don't go that way.

Upvote 0

sjdean

Sep 9, 2008
✟7,932.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I don't believe I have the fruits of the spirit in everything, and I ask for guidance in everything. However there are some situations where I'll go into, and will feel natural, normal, joyous, happy, confident, no problem. Others will have a sense a trepidation. A quite literal black and white feeling.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When in doubt, don't.

I've plunged ahead with many a hasty decision without waiting on God's approval, and I can definitely tell when it's not right. I feel tense, anxious, uneasy, just all kinds of WRONG in my heart and soul. Never ignore that feeling.

Upvote 0

sjdean

Sep 9, 2008
✟7,932.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Ok.... Its joining a band. A good band. A decent band. By all accounts I should be bouncing off the walls. Wanted this for so long. Now... God just doesn't seem to be in it. And what's more I seem to recognise that. But everyone else around me is telling me to give it a chance.

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2005
✟2,829.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Acknowledging something requires evidence and yet when it comes to God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost - these three supernatural personalities are so intermixed that Jesus being the Son of God knows everything that has been created from the book of Genesis to Revelations. When you think about, when Jesus rose to heaven as a new-born resurrected spiritual being, his hungry curiosity to know God the Father and The Holy Ghost has been fulfilled with an abundance of supernatural knowledge that goes beyond our 21st century understanding of the complexities of science and physics supernatural science and technology that is light years ahead our time - and the amazing advanced technology of some of our popular gadgets such as the mobile phone, tablet and television set are ancient museum pieces compared to the "supernatural gadgets" inside our future-coming most advanced free-for-all home accommodation city: the kingdom of God:.
Now "joy" obviously is so attached with these ultimate advanced device inventions of God, it's no wonder that we still feel inadequately full of joy even with mankind's 21st century modern inventions.
Faith - its a present and future active noun and when having faith in Jesus, we expect him to fulfil our future promises of a completely perfect society when he returns, and while Satan has no faith in Jesus, he does not expect to be defeated, even if it says so in Revelations because he has never experienced defeat on a massive global scale before. Satan will soon learn his lesson not to underestimate the power of God and I believe God is "staying under the radar" for now so that Satan can enjoy his brief 'several thousand year'success on Earth.
Rev 21:2 .;'*';.
:liturgy:

Upvote 0

Shattered-Reflections

Saved by Grace
Nov 13, 2008
✟10,131.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ok.... Its joining a band. A good band. A decent band. By all accounts I should be bouncing off the walls. Wanted this for so long. Now... God just doesn't seem to be in it. And what's more I seem to recognise that. But everyone else around me is telling me to give it a chance.

You may need to ask yourself or discuss with others "WHY" you're feeling not at peace. Motive has a lot to do with whether it comes from God or not. Not trying to cause confusion here, and if you're really confused... then it IS best to just wait. I'd just suggest to make sure your lack of peace is really a lack of peace and not fear, a lack of faith, or even pride. Do you have concerns? Reasons holding you back? Do you feel being in a band is wrong or "less godly"? Are you placing your value in the work you do? Is there something else out there that you want to do?

To me, it sounds like you've just changed and matured as a person, and it's okay to move on. It's hard and confusing when everyone else isn't on board with you, but you'll just have to disappoint them if you choose not to do this ;) Maybe your lack of peace is because you're letting people tell you what to do and you're getting your comfort from them? Not that the band itself is wrong, but where your comfort lies is wrong? Just some thoughts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DreyDay

Jun 9, 2013
✟11,342.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Life is not a game of chess where if you make a wrong move God's going to smash you down. There's no such thing as this "specific plan" you're supposed to somehow discover from God.

You're not here to discover yourself. You're here to create yourself.

Your life is a canvas, and you have to paint a masterpiece. God gave you a free will to make your own choices, as long as they're within Biblical parameters. Use your common sense: can you afford being in a band? Do you have enough time to invest in it?

You have one life to live, and you're going to regret the things you didn't do instead of regretting not trying. Take risks, push past the boundary, live life to the fullest.

This whole things about God's plan or whatever makes no sense. Was it God's will for you to buy apples or oranges at the store? Was it God's will for you to go to band practice Tuesday or Saturday? Was it God's will for you to completely avoid playing a musical instrument or does God want you to play just 25%? Or is it God's will for you to play a musical instrument/sing for 20 minutes alone because he supposedly doesn't want you to be in a band?

If you look closely, where is the boundary between having God approve your choices and giving you common sense?

This whole thing about asking God for permission to do something brainwashes people into splitting hairs over every choice they make, and this is definitely time wasted here on Earth, something God doesn't want :).

Upvote 0

sjdean

Sep 9, 2008
✟7,932.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
You may need to ask yourself or discuss with others "WHY" you're feeling not at peace. Motive has a lot to do with whether it comes from God or not. Not trying to cause confusion here, and if you're really confused... then it IS best to just wait. I'd just suggest to make sure your lack of peace is really a lack of peace and not fear, a lack of faith, or even pride. Do you have concerns? Reasons holding you back? Do you feel being in a band is wrong or "less godly"? Are you placing your value in the work you do? Is there something else out there that you want to do?

To me, it sounds like you've just changed and matured as a person, and it's okay to move on. It's hard and confusing when everyone else isn't on board with you, but you'll just have to disappoint them if you choose not to do this ;) Maybe your lack of peace is because you're letting people tell you what to do and you're getting your comfort from them? Not that the band itself is wrong, but where your comfort lies is wrong? Just some thoughts.

Quite simply, I was just wondering where God wants me and thinking that if only I did XYZ for example, I'd have more time, more money, more happiness, I could be a better Christian and really get to grips with Gods will.

But the answer seems to be you don't need XYZ to be happy, just me. You are where I want you. For now.

The reason I speak like this with two certainties, is that I actually had two opportunities for different things, I took both, and one I can definitely see God and know I was wanted there, because I sort of went in with a kind of unusual confidence that I don't normally have. The other was just a big load of doubt and a complete total lack of peace.

Upvote 0

Shattered-Reflections

Saved by Grace
Nov 13, 2008
✟10,131.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Quite simply, I was just wondering where God wants me and thinking that if only I did XYZ for example, I'd have more time, more money, more happiness, I could be a better Christian and really get to grips with Gods will.

But the answer seems to be you don't need XYZ to be happy, just me. You are where I want you. For now.

The reason I speak like this with two certainties, is that I actually had two opportunities for different things, I took both, and one I can definitely see God and know I was wanted there, because I sort of went in with a kind of unusual confidence that I don't normally have. The other was just a big load of doubt and a complete total lack of peace.

Well it sounds like you're right on track with this :) When you're choosing between two good things, there's not necessarily a wrong answer of where you go. What's important is Who you're relying on and traverse with, and you seem to be placing your value and trust in the right place; God :)

Upvote 0