United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Hi there,

Just a quick question. How do you know what the truth is? There seems to be so many people with so many different beliefs who all call themselves Christian. It's a little confusing to say the least.
Why doesn't God just show all Christians what the truth is?

Cheers
Anx66

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

Just a quick question. How do you know what the truth is? There seems to be so many people with so many different beliefs who all call themselves Christian. It's a little confusing to say the least.

Cheers
Anx66
He does, but they are few in number. If you recall, many false believers called tares appear along with the true. But when you hear the truth you will know it.
“My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:” John 10:27 (KJV 1900)

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Truth" is difficult to discern.

That said, the basics of our faith are agreed upon, overall. The basics of Jesus and Salvation are overall agreed upon by all Trinitarian Christians. How that faith is lived out, understood, and expressed is different based on many different interpretations and views on scripture, history, culture, and other factors.

We do our best to search and discern the path we should take. I choose to believe that God is less concerned with how we express our faith, and more concerned that we have faith in Jesus and the overall plan for salvation.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

Cheers
Anx66

There are two spirits, the Spirit of Truth and the other spirit. Both are fighting for our souls. I think its important for each of us to study the Bible and know the scriptures. The Holy Spirit will not lead you away from God's Truth. If your pastor is teaching you something that the Bible does not teach, find yourself another church. I think God intended it this way so we would each seek Him earnestly. Ask God to guide you, He provides His Spirit of Truth to those who seek Him with all their hearts and want to do God's will. God bless

• Agree
Reactions: Dpca10112
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Hi there,

Cheers
Anx66

God's nature is truth. The Bible often uses the same terms to describe the nature of God as it does to describe the nature of the Mosaic Law, so the Mosaic Law is truth because it is God's instructions for how to express His nature (Psalms 119:142). Jesus is the exact expression of God's nature (Hebrews 1:3), so he is the truth made flesh and he showed the nature of the Father through his works in sinless obedience to the Mosaic Law, which is why he could say everything that he did in John 14:6-11. In Ezekiel 36:26-27, the Spirit has the role of leading us to obey the Mosaic Law, in John 16:13, the Spirit has the role of leading us in truth, and again the Mosaic Law is truth. In John 8:31-36, it is sin in transgression of the Mosaic Law that puts us in bondage while it is the truth that sets us free. In John 17:17, God’s word is truth, and the Mosaic Law is God’s word. In 2 Timothy 3:8, those who oppose the truth also oppose Moses, being of corrupted minds, and disqualified in regard to the faith. In Romans 8:4-7, those who walk in the Spirit are contrasted with those who have minds set on the flesh who refuse to submit to God's law. In Galatians 5:19-22, everything listed as works of the flesh that are against the Spirit are also against the Mosaic Law, while all of the fruits of the Spirit are aspects of God's nature that are in accordance with it.

Upvote 0

anx66

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2016
Haverhill
✟53,564.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
He does, but they are few in number. If you recall, many false believers called tares appear along with the true. But when you hear the truth you will know it.
“My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:” John 10:27 (KJV 1900)

Presumably Dave, you believe you know the voice of Jesus. How do you know you actually are one of the ones that know Jesus voice, and would you say as you know his voice, that he shows you the truth and that you don't believe anything to the contrary.

It seems every christian I know has different takes on the truth and they all believe they hear Jesus' voice and are following him.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Presumably Dave, you believe you know the voice of Jesus. How do you know you actually are one of the ones that know Jesus voice, and would you say as you know his voice, that he shows you the truth and that you don't believe anything to the contrary.

It seems every christian I know has different takes on the truth and they all believe they hear Jesus' voice and are following him.
Yes, you do make a true, but disturbing point. First the Oriental Orthodox split from the Eastern Orthodox/Catholic Church. Then the Great Schism caused the EOC/CC to split into two bodies. Then the Protestants split from the Catholic Church and then the Protestants split into far too many groups to count. What are we all to make of this mess? Does it matter which group a Christian belongs to?

Upvote 0

anx66

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2016
Haverhill
✟53,564.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
What are we all to make of this mess? Does it matter which group a Christian belongs to?

You get my point. It does seem a mess, with everyone believing different things. When I became a Christian I was taught a series of beliefs, that I won't go into here, and I was taught that there were two types of Christian in the world. Those who believed what we believed and those that didn't. I didn't realise that there were so many varieties of Christinity. I suppose I was naive. Now I see that there are so many views that it has become confusing to me.
And as to your final question: Does it matter which group a Christian belongs to? This is an interesting question, which also will generate a number of different answers.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
You get my point. It does seem a mess, with everyone believing different things. When I became a Christian I was taught a series of beliefs, that I won't go into here, and I was taught that there were two types of Christian in the world. Those who believed what we believed and those that didn't. I didn't realise that there were so many varieties of Christinity. I suppose I was naive. Now I see that there are so many views that it has become confusing to me.
And as to your final question: Does it matter which group a Christian belongs to? This is an interesting question, which also will generate a number of different answers.
The Eastern Orthodox Church is the most likely to say that it does matter. The Fundamentalist Protestants probably come in a very close second. The Catholic Church and the Oriental Orthodox perhaps next. Then I suppose the Evangelical Protestants. Last of all would be most Mainline Protestants who would say that it matters little which branch of Christendom a person belongs to.

• Informative
Reactions: Hmm
Upvote 0

psalmbody

Caitlyn
Jan 28, 2021
Johannesburg
✟10,764.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
This is going to be a little controversial, but some denominations are biblically sound while others are essentially man-made, the views and interpretations of another person. But as long as we know the real Jesus and God, what He did for us and believe He resurrected and that He saves, then we are saved.
As I was replying to this a verse popped up on my screen: "Again I say, don't get involved in foolish ignorant arguments that only start fights."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anx66

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2016
Haverhill
✟53,564.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Another question is, what is the minimum amount of truthful statements you need to know are true in order to end up living eternally? Jesus didn't have much time to go into things, when he was being crucified next to the thieves. So, the thief that repented probably didn't have enough time to cover the subjects that a degree in theology covers, before he died.

Upvote 0

anx66

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2016
Haverhill
✟53,564.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
As I was replying to this a verse popped up on my screen: "Again I say, don't get involved in foolish ignorant arguments that only start fights."

Sorry. Perhaps I strayed onto a too controversial topic myself. I wasn't intending to cause arguments.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Sorry. Perhaps I strayed onto a too controversial topic myself. I wasn't intending to cause arguments.
No problem as far as I am concerned. This forum is served best when we tackle difficult questions.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

Cheers
Anx66
Truth is revealed to everyone, when they are most ready to receive it. If given at the wrong time, it could be dismissed as heretical, and the messenger viewed a blasphemer. Therefore, it is important to seek truth in secret....for oneself, and only share when led to do so.

One cannot find or learn truth....nay, he is found by truth when it is revealed to him. At this time, he must be willing to give away all the belief and doctrines in his possession. And this is seldom done, for it is easier for a camel to walk through the eye of an needle, than for a rich man to give up all the knowledge he worked so tirelessly to possess.

Who, then, you may ask, can be saved? For man this is impossible......

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another question is, what is the minimum amount of truthful statements you need to know are true in order to end up living eternally?

Eternal life cannot be gained by the belief in statements or doctrine.

Jesus didn't have much time to go into things, when he was being crucified next to the thieves. So, the thief that repented probably didn't have enough time to cover the subjects that a degree in theology covers, before he died.

It is important to try to understand the message the writer in Luke was trying to convey with the thief, and refrain from pulling it out to create a separate doctrine......For the thief only ended up in paradise in one gospel.....while proceeding to "hell" in the other three....and both thieves mocked Him in one of those three.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nathan@work

Always ready :)
Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟27,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

Cheers
Anx66

Ok, so this is going to sound very complicated. You might have to read it a couple of times. :)

You will know that you know the truth, when you know the truth.

Jesus said we would know the truth and the truth would set us free.

For example, not the best one but will work, you 'know' you have a brain right?

You have never seen it, or heard it, felt it(headaches don't count ;) ), smelled it, etc. right?

Someone could come along and tell you "hey, you don't have a brain!" but you would know that they are wrong. You could try and convince yourself that you do not have one, but it would be near impossible. Right? (I hope)

See what I am saying? Even before someone told you that the organ up there in your head is called a "brain", you knew you had something up there.

That is the way it is with truth. You know you have it when you have it - and you know you don't have it when you don't have it.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

Cheers
Anx66

The truth is what is written in the bible, a person who genuinely wants to seek God will come to that revelation. Many people however have a form of religion, but deny God's word. This is normally because they want to sin. You should look to God's word, not people's opinions.

Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I've had to relocate several times. When seeking a new church home I committed it to prayer and trusted that the Holy Spirit would lead me where He wanted me. My last church, and current church home for the past fifteen years I didn't want to attend, I had issues with the pastor at the time. It became clear that the Holy Spirit wanted me to attend the church, so I followed His lead, and it has been one of the greatest blessing and growth for me. Trust God to lead you to where he wants you, just make sure it is a bible believing church. The church I attend I don't totally agree with everything they teach, but I know I'm where God wants me. I'm a non denominational Christian.

Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi there,

Cheers
Anx66
Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. Jesus is the way that leads to the truth that leads to life. I remember I asked your same question about 2 years ago and I started to pray for the truth. I told God I was tired of so many opinions. I learned that Jesus is the image of the Father and we are supposed to be image of Jesus. So, everything I do must point to Him because He is the one I am following. The Bible says that as He is, so are we.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Another question is, what is the minimum amount of truthful statements you need to know are true in order to end up living eternally? Jesus didn't have much time to go into things, when he was being crucified next to the thieves. So, the thief that repented probably didn't have enough time to cover the subjects that a degree in theology covers, before he died.
God is merciful. He knows we are blind, deaf and dumb so it’s about truth not knowledge. Jesus is the Truth, the thief acknowledged that and Christ granted him grace.

Upvote 0