Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm fairly active, but you have 100 times more posts than I do. When our Master returns you will receive a great reward. God bless you!

LOL! Lots o' me posts have been in the fun threads.

by the way, this is true, y'know:

"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: " ~Proverbs 17:22

4chsmu1.gif

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,487.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Not only does the KJV-only movement not have a monopoly on truth, their views are often absurd. Not too long ago, I did a thread in the Christian Scriptures subforum responding to a series of Youtube videos by a KJV-only pastor.

KJV-Only Pastor: Angels are Joyless Servants Who Can't Sing

Link:

KJV-Only Pastor: Angels are Joyless Servants Who Can't Sing

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
You say that the KJV is "highly favored." I go to a very conservative non-denominational church and I haven't noticed anyone using the King James Version. The pastor doesn't and no one else seems to, either.

Thanks for sharing that.

But what is your point, if you don't mind me asking?

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,487.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks for sharing that.

But what is your point, if you don't mind me asking?

Some people may be under the impression that all conservative Christians are using the KJV.
This isn't necessarily so.

People who go to a church that preaches KJV-only may not realize how many strong Christians are using other translations.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
- 2 Corinthians 11:3-4 (KJV)
- Galatians 1:6-7 (of Galatians 1:1-12) (KJV)
What does the Bible say? If we believe in different Gospels of Christ, these scriptures show that we do not share the same faith.

So you're saying that your faith, derived solely from the KJV, is pure and the faith of others isn't? Poor us, we see through a glass darkly, but you have pure vision?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Some people may be under the impression that all conservative Christians are using the KJV.
This isn't necessarily so.

People who go to a church that preaches KJV-only may not realize how many strong Christians are using other translations.

I've read many versions, including the Geneva Bible. I've loved the KJ Bible since before i knew what a "conservative Christian" was.

As i leaned more and more towards "conservative Christianity" i maintained my love for the KJ Bible and gravitated towards it. It didn't matter much to me what other Christians might or might not be reading.

Does it matter to you?

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Does anybody wonder why the KJV is also called the Authorized Version? Because it was backed and authorized by the King of England.

There were several purposes, but the main one was to create a single version that everyone would use. Of course, wherever possible, translations were made to fortify the idea that kingship is supreme. Christ is the undisputed king in heaven; James is the undisputed king on earth. Also, footnotes of earlier versions were removed so that only one interpretation was possible: the one King James authorized.

I believe that this was the root of the KJVO doctrine. The early Israelites insisted on having a king to rule them -- to their peril. I don't care one whit about what was authorized by a king of a foreign country for political purposes four hundred years ago. Jesus Christ is Lord and Savior; there is no other.

Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is circular reasoning, it is nonsense. You simply start from the assumption that the King James version is superior, even God-ordained.
That seems to be the core of these discussions. One group starts out with the premise that the KJV is the perfect, inerrant word of God, so therefore anything that does not exactly match it must be in error. At it's core, the assertion is a house built on sand.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,487.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That seems to be the core of these discussions. One group starts out with the premise that the KJV is the perfect, inerrant word of God, so therefore anything that does not exactly match it must be in error. At it's core, the assertion is a house built on sand.

Very true. I have talked to people who believed that the King James Version is more accurate because the translators had manuscripts that have been lost since then! Absurd, the opposite is true. No manuscipts have been lost, on the contrary, more ancient manuscripts have been found.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,487.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Try this example of a verse that is confusing or even dangerous as worded in the King James Bible.

1. 6 Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing: the Lord will abhor the bloody and deceitful man.
    --Psalms 5:6 KJV

Fortunately I decided to check another translation before blowing up the nearest leasing office.

6 Thou destroyest those who speak lies;
    the Lord abhors bloodthirsty and deceitful men.
    --Psalms 5:6 RSV

Unlike the KJV, the Revised Standard makes it clear that lies are the problem, not leasing. It also makes it clear that it is God who will hand out judgment. The reader or hearer is not being commanded to destroy anybody or anything. In the KJV, "Thou shalt ..." makes this verse sound like one of the Ten Commandments.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Try this example of a verse that is confusing or even dangerous as worded in the King James Bible.

1. 6 Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing: the Lord will abhor the bloody and deceitful man.
    --Psalms 5:6 KJV

Fortunately I decided to check another translation before blowing up the nearest leasing office.

6 Thou destroyest those who speak lies;
    the Lord abhors bloodthirsty and deceitful men.
    --Psalms 5:6 RSV

Unlike the KJV, the Revised Standard makes it clear that lies are the problem, not leasing. It also makes it clear that it is God who will hand out judgment. The reader or hearer is not being commanded to destroy anybody or anything. In the KJV, "Thou shalt ..." makes this verse sound like one of the Ten Commandments.

What research have you done on the word "leasing" as it pertains to that language?

In addition, what i have found is that the surrounding verses help to define and put into context what is meant by that particular word in that particular verse.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You want confusing? How about this...

Luke 14:10 KJV

But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher: then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee."

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher: then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee."

Pray tell, what is your take on that?

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Here's what it means in modern English: "But when you are invited, take the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he will say to you, ‘Friend, move up to a better place.’ Then you will be honored in the presence of all the other guests."

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Here's what it means in modern English: "But when you are invited, take the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he will say to you, ‘Friend, move up to a better place.’ Then you will be honored in the presence of all the other guests."

Yes, that is what it means. It is confirmed in the surrounding verses what it means.

The bottom line is here in verse 11:

"For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted."

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
A KING JAMES VERSION SERMON:

- Hebrews 4:12 (KJV)
- Psalm 12:6-7 (KJV)

Notice the word "preserve", meaning God's word is already present in our times.

- Galatians 1:6-7 (of 1:1-12) (KJV)

Notice "of Christ", meaning sadly there are trying Christians attracted by the overwhelming affection of Christ, only to be misled by a Gospel that is not "of Christ"

- 2 Corinthians 11:3-4 (KJV)

Scriptural changes differing in meaning broadly spread through the many so called, "modern English Bible Translations" published since the King James Version Bible (KJV) or its birth in 1611 as the Authorized Version (AV).

Here is our History:
The King James Version Bible: Translated from the Textus Receptus and finished in 1611; Through God's will a breakthrough for the Protestant Reformation, for Christian believers with beliefs protestant to the Roman Catholic Church.

The MOST respected Bible, standing out as a strong spiritual asset.
The one and only true word of God (in the English Language).
The Holy Bible.

- Proverbs 30:5-6 (KJV)

Pre 1611 (Old Testament):
Was known to be in the Hebrew Language.

Pre 1611 (New Testament):
Before year 1611, The New Testament was present on earth in the Greek language; in texts known as the Textus Receptus, Yet, not yet translated into the English Language.
Pre 1611 English Bible translations (To solve confusion):
These books were not known to be as spiritually profitable, but are very evident that the puritan reformer group in their day were not happy with Catholicism and the Roman Catholic Church, desperate and determined for liberty in faith.
Brother ..While I can appreciate your zeal for the KJV , in acts chapter 7:45 , the fathers handed the ark to Joshua as anyone who knows the Exodus story knows . Of course the name Jesus and Joshua are spelled the same , thus the error . Is Jesus still the Savior ? Yes . Was He sent from God the Father for our salvation ? Yes . Pride is sneaky and spiritual pride is undetectable . Seek love and humility . I think KJV only movement is a rabbit trail . There is a way that seems right unto man and that way leads to death .

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Brother ..While I can appreciate your zeal for the KJV , in acts chapter 7:45 , the fathers handed the ark to Joshua as anyone who knows the Exodus story knows . Of course the name Jesus and Joshua are spelled the same , thus the error . Is Jesus still the Savior ? Yes . Was He sent from God the Father for our salvation ? Yes . Pride is sneaky and spiritual pride is undetectable . Seek love and humility . I think KJV only movement is a rabbit trail . There is a way that seems right unto man and that way leads to death .

Would you care to elaborate?

Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes, that is what it means. It is confirmed in the surrounding verses what it means.

The bottom line is here in verse 11:

"For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted."
It is fitting and timely that you posted that verse for I often am snared . I question also the many debates ..for example the KJV only debaters . It may lead to spiritual pride to "prove" them wrong and leave me feeling exalted. I think of the many brothers and sisters overseas who are giving their lives in the defense of the gospel ..who have lost so much . Not to mention Tyndale and some the early martyrs . I also post this reply to the KJV only brothers . Do not think to highly of your selves . I do not know if this is only a struggle with me but it is a real and often invisible snare . Thank you for posting that verses from Luke 14;10 ..KJV or not ...it is true .

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
It is fitting and timely that you posted that verse for I often am snared . I question also the many debates ..for example the KJV only debaters . It may lead to spiritual pride to "prove" them wrong and leave me feeling exalted. I think of the many brothers and sisters overseas who are giving their lives in the defense of the gospel ..who have lost so much . Not to mention Tyndale and some the early martyrs . I also post this reply to the KJV only brothers . Do not think to highly of your selves . I do not know if this is only a struggle with me but it is a real and often invisible snare . Thank you for posting that verses from Luke 14;10 ..KJV or not ...it is true .

You are most welcome. :)

Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Would you care to elaborate?
Well Sister ...in KJV , it says " Jesus " ...it should have read "Joshua" . The Hebrew names are the same ..Yeshua ( no J in hebrew ) ..In Hebrew , names had a meaning . Joshua means God is salvation I believe ...The early translators saw Joshua and thought Jesus but Jesus of Nazareth did not receive the ark from Moses ..Joshua did . But even so ..it was prophetic . Just as Moses and the law can not bring us into the promised land , it was left to Joshua aka Jesus .

Upvote 0