Ken Ham, Ray Comfort and The Young Earth.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Depends on who gets taken really, doesn't it? We'll both be in for a surprise if it's the Catholics who disappear.
Yikes! We'll be running for Extreme Unction! :eek:

Upvote 0

Obliquinaut

Сделайте Америку прекрасной
Jun 30, 2017
Washington
✟35,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I would suspect a specimen collection program conducted by aliens, with full knowledge of our cultural tropes.

Well that would just be bad sampling protocol! If the aliens wanted a broader sample they wouldn't focus solely on the Christian sects that believe in the Rapture.

I would then have to question the advanced intelligence of such a race if they selectively sample. I would most CERTAINLY not trust their white-coated lab denizens with their space clipboards. Pshaw!

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Critical Thinking ***contra*** Conformity!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,142,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm curious as to how Christians in general feel about young earth creationism and groups like Answers in Genesis. I know their views are among the minority of Christian thought but I don't know how they're regarded by mainstream Christians. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the idea of a young earth creation and of the proponents of that view.

I just go with a generalized BioLogos orientation to it all.......... There, done. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm curious as to how Christians in general feel about young earth creationism and groups like Answers in Genesis. I know their views are among the minority of Christian thought but I don't know how they're regarded by mainstream Christians. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the idea of a young earth creation and of the proponents of that view.
I used to accept some sort of old earth view, like Hugh Ross. But in studying evolution and quantum mechanics and biochemistry, I realized there was no mechanism available for an intelligent designer (God) to interact and inject information leading to "happy" mutations and gene copy errors. Since I know randomness did not cause all this, I have no choice but to embrace young earth creationism.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I used to accept some sort of old earth view, like Hugh Ross. But in studying evolution and quantum mechanics and biochemistry, I realized there was no mechanism available for an intelligent designer (God) to interact and inject information leading to "happy" mutations and gene copy errors. Since I know randomness did not cause all this, I have no choice but to embrace young earth creationism.

I think this is a false dichotomy. God has methods that we don't understand. You could just as easily say that human beings having free will means that God never interacts to cause happy moments on a personal level.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,165,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The designer of our physics isn't controlled/ limited by it.

Upvote 0

Ancient of Days

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2017
Mn.
✟138,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Strathos, post: 71893064, member: 320753"]You'll find a dichotomy of opinions here. Personally I find such people to be hacks who give Christianity a bad reputation. The Bible never actually says how old earth and the universe are.

That IS a lie. If you go through the Bible and add up the dates, it is not that hard to do, you will get a date of about 4,000 B.C. for the creation. So, according to the Bible the earth is about 6,000 years old.
"If you take the bible for what it is and add nothing to it you will get only thousands of years for the history of the earth and death after sin."

The Biblical Age of the Earth

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That IS a lie. If you go through the Bible and add up the dates, it is not that hard to do, you will get a date of about 4,000 B.C. for the creation. So, according to the Bible the earth is about 6,000 years old.
"If you take the bible for what it is and add nothing to it you will get only thousands of years for the history of the earth and death after sin."

The Biblical Age of the Earth

Actually that's according to a particular interpretation of a literal reading of Genesis. The text text itself never gives a precise date however. Plus we don't date the earth by a literal reading of Genesis. We use actual science to do that.

• Agree
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

morse86

Aug 2, 2014
✟60,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Actually that's according to a particular interpretation of a literal reading of Genesis. The text text itself never gives a precise date however. Plus we don't date the earth by a literal reading of Genesis. We use actual science to do that.

Actually we don't use science to date the earth, we use $$$cience with a lot of assumptions. Radiometric dating with a lot of guess work is not science.

Reactions: Doctor.Sphinx
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Seems to be a distraction from the primary doctrine of the revelation of the scripture (Jesus). Who cares how old the earth is?

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
✟127,983.00
Faith
Atheist
Radiometric dating with a lot of guess work is not science.
That is a "guess work" lie because radiometric dating is a fairly easily understood scientific technique with some complex details and no "guess work". The closest radiometric dating might get is estimates of migration of parent nuclides or the daughter products within the material. The age of the Earth is "approximately 4.54 ± 0.05 billion years" based on dating of meteorites and the oldest terrestrial material we have found, plus lunar samples.

Radiometric dating is not the only dating technique. An old Earth was accepted 2 centuries ago when geologists realized that rocks took long times to form. For example, consider the hundred meter high White Cliffs of Dover made of dead sea animals.

To show that the Earth is not a few thousand years old all we have to do is count! 1 ice core layer. 2 ice core layers. 3 ice core layers .... 700,000 ice core layers. Each layer is dust laid down annually so we have 700,000 years of ice core layers. Visual counting though has its limits: "For example, at Vostok, layer counting is only possible down to an age of 55,000 years". Ditto for varves. Ditto but more complex for tree rings which are also used to calibrate radiocarbon dating.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I basically ignore anything in the Bible that describes natural phenomena as it’s usually dead wrong . The earth was known to be very old from a basic understanding of geological layering and how those layers were formed. Evolution can be observed and there’s no reason that this didn’t occur in the past. The earth isn’t flat etc etc. IMHO, YEC drives scientifically literate people away from God

• Agree
Reactions: pgp_protector
Upvote 0