Kavanaugh dustup may help Republicans in November.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oldwiseguy said "whatever he did". Many of Kavanaugh's supporters have moved to this. It doesn't even matter what he did.

"Whatever" he might have done wasn't serious enough to be reported, thus the statement.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
"Whatever" he might have done wasn't serious enough to be reported, thus the statement.

The women in the Cosby case didn't report 'whatever' until long afterwards. 'Whatever' can be pretty serious.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oldwiseguy said "whatever he did". Many of Kavanaugh's supporters have moved to this. It doesn't even matter what he did.
Maybe he meant this (don't know):

Article III Section 1 United States Constitution
The judicial Power of the United States shall be vested in one supreme Court and in such inferior Courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish. The Judges, both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold their Offices during good Behaviour, and shall, at stated Times, receive for their Services, a Compensation, which shall not be diminished during their Continuance in Office.

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!
Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Do you have any education concerning people suffering from trauma? Conservative estimates are that only around 55 percent of rapes are reported, and those are conserv
Do you have any education concerning the motives of tramatized victims? Most sexual assaults are not reported for a myriad of reasons. It's not true that not being reported means it didn't happen or that it wasn't serious.

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green

I don't have a subscription but I did read the "American Thinker" link you provided. It claims: "She claims that she never told anyone contemporaneously, and for 30 years, she repressed the memory, recovering it only during her 2012 therapy."

Thanks for sharing this. Do you know where they got her quote? They didn't supply a reference for this quote although they did for her husband's quotes.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Not convinced. From American Thinker: "She claims that she never told anyone contemporaneously and for 30 years, she repressed the memory, recovering it only during her 2012 therapy."

There is no quote from her with this claim.

From some of the earlier Washington Post reporting:

"Ford said she told no one of the incident in any detail until 2012, when she was in couples therapy with her husband.

“I think it derailed me substantially for four or five years,” she said. She struggled academically and socially, she said, and was unable to have healthy relationships with men. “I was very ill-equipped to forge those kinds of relationships.”

She also said that in the longer term, it contributed to anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms with which she has struggled.

She married her husband in 2002. Early in their relationship, she told him she had been a victim of physical abuse, he said."

There is no suggestion that the memory was either repressed or recovered. The event affected her life at the time; she discussed assault (with no names) with her husband in 2002.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
WSJ article: "This harassment, her lawyers said late Tuesday, has made her reluctant to testify Monday about details of a night she has rarely discussed "

"Dr. Ford told the Post she didn’t tell anyone about the alleged incident in detail until a couples therapy session with her husband in 2012."

There is nothing there about repressed or recovered memories

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Not convinced. From American Thinker: "She claims that she never told anyone contemporaneously and for 30 years, she repressed the memory, recovering it only during her 2012 therapy."

There is no quote from her with this claim.

From some of the earlier Washington Post reporting:

"Ford said she told no one of the incident in any detail until 2012, when she was in couples therapy with her husband.

“I think it derailed me substantially for four or five years,” she said. She struggled academically and socially, she said, and was unable to have healthy relationships with men. “I was very ill-equipped to forge those kinds of relationships.”

She also said that in the longer term, it contributed to anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms with which she has struggled.

She married her husband in 2002. Early in their relationship, she told him she had been a victim of physical abuse, he said."

There is no suggestion that the memory was either repressed or recovered. The event affected her life at the time; she discussed assault (with no names) with her husband in 2002.

This is the understanding I had. But I would like to know more about the claim in "American Thinker". I will send an E-mail and see if they respond.

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
WSJ article: "This harassment, her lawyers said late Tuesday, has made her reluctant to testify Monday about details of a night she has rarely discussed "

"Dr. Ford told the Post she didn’t tell anyone about the alleged incident in detail until a couples therapy session with her husband in 2012."

There is nothing there about repressed or recovered memories

Thank you for sharing this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't have a subscription but I did read the "American Thinker" link you provided. It claims: "She claims that she never told anyone contemporaneously, and for 30 years, she repressed the memory, recovering it only during her 2012 therapy."

Thanks for sharing this. Do you know where they got her quote? They didn't supply a reference for this quote although they did for her husband's quotes.
I'll look, but have heard it on several news sites including CNN and NBC. The repressed memory does not call into question that she was sexually assaulted but may just call into question many details surrounding the attack including the perpetrator of the attack. I think that was there point.

I investigated a rape case (Article 32) back when I was in the Army years ago. The claims went back 10 years and there was no physical evidence of the rape, no report and no witnesses. It was the classic 'he said she said.' I never questioned why she took so long to report as the emotional and mental distress on her was apparent. However, he memory was very good. She gave CID details of the place, the date and time. That really helped me to recommend the case go before a Court Martial panel (jury trial). I received a lot of heat from the defense attorney who was a high paid civilian retired Judge Advocate who was West Point classmates with my Colonel boss (the convening authority to approve my recommendation). However, given all the details she could remember (dates, places and even the décor of the room) I convinced him she needed her day in court and the accused also needed his day in court to defend himself from the charges.

So I think what the Senate is doing by having both Ms Ford and Judge Kavanaugh come in to give sworn testimony is the right thing. It will still be a 'he said, she said' unless other witnesses come forward with more detailed evidence.

I believe the huge injustice is Sen Feinstein having this letter on hand and not immediately reporting it to the proper authorities or encouraging Ms Ford to file a report with the Maryland district attorney.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Well go hunting then if you are unconvinced.

I've been following the case pretty closely, so I feel like I'm up on the general facts.

But I did go hunting. All I found was a deceptive article from Townhall.

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been following the case pretty closely, so I feel like I'm up on the general facts.

But I did go hunting. All I found was a deceptive article from Townhall.
So now the American Thinker and Townhall are deceptive. LOL ok it's your choice to pick and choose sources.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
So now the American Thinker and Townhall are deceptive. LOL ok it's your choice to pick and choose sources.

The number of things Ford has claimed in public is quite small. American Thinker says Ford claimed she repressed and recovered the memories. It provides no source for this. Her actual statements say that she didn't talk about the incident, and only discussed it "in detail" in 2012. This is not "repressed memory" and "recovered memory".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I've worked with plenty of teenage girls who were FULL on raped and despite my and several staff's very strong recommendations to report the crime, they choose not to.

"serious enough to be reported" means nothing.

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I'll look, but have heard it on several news sites including CNN and NBC. The repressed memory does not call into question that she was sexually assaulted but may just call into question many details surrounding the attack including the perpetrator of the attack. I think that was there point.

I investigated a rape case (Article 32) back when I was in the Army years ago. The claims went back 10 years and there was no physical evidence of the rape, no report and no witnesses. It was the classic 'he said she said.' I never questioned why she took so long to report as the emotional and mental distress on her was apparent. However, he memory was very good. She gave CID details of the place, the date and time. That really helped me to recommend the case go before a Court Martial panel (jury trial). I received a lot of heat from the defense attorney who was a high paid civilian retired Judge Advocate who was West Point classmates with my Colonel boss (the convening authority to approve my recommendation). However, given all the details she could remember (dates, places and even the décor of the room) I convinced him she needed her day in court and the accused also needed his day in court to defend himself from the charges.

So I think what the Senate is doing by having both Ms Ford and Judge Kavanaugh come in to give sworn testimony is the right thing. It will still be a 'he said, she said' unless other witnesses come forward with more detailed evidence.

I believe the huge injustice is Sen Feinstein having this letter on hand and not immediately reporting it to the proper authorities or encouraging Ms Ford to file a report with the Maryland district attorney.

I don't watch CNN much anymore but I do listen to NBC. Thus far I don't remember hearing anything about repressed memories but it's possible I missed something. Your memories of your duty remind me of a couple of times I had to go before Captain's Mast (missing watch once and returning from leave one day late) I was very young and scared to death. Everything was fine of course but it was intimidating.

I'll be writing to "American Thinker" to ask where their quote came from. I'll post here if I get a response.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The number of things Ford has claimed in public is quite small. American Thinker says Ford claimed she repressed and recovered the memories. It provides no source for this. Her actual statements say that she didn't talk about the incident, and only discussed it "in detail" in 2012. This is not "repressed memory" and "recovered memory".
The answer is in the Washington Post article you linked. She’s under years of psychotherapy.

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
The answer is in the Washington Post article you linked. She’s under years of psychotherapy.
Would you be kind enough my friend to copy and paste the reference you are referring to?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

What answer? The question is about "repressed memory" and "recovered memory", neither of which appear in the article. The relevant parts are:

Ford said she told no one of the incident in any detail until 2012, when she was in couples therapy with her husband. The therapist’s notes, portions of which were provided by Ford and reviewed by The Washington Post, do not mention Kavanaugh’s name but say she reported that she was attacked by students “from an elitist boys’ school” who went on to become “highly respected and high-ranking members of society in Washington.” The notes say four boys were involved, a discrepancy Ford says was an error on the therapist’s part. Ford said there were four boys at the party but only two in the room.

Notes from an individual therapy session the following year, when she was being treated for what she says have been long-term effects of the incident, show Ford described a “rape attempt” in her late teens.

She married her husband in 2002. Early in their relationship, she told him she had been a victim of physical abuse, he said. A decade later, he learned the details of that alleged abuse when the therapist asked her to tell the story, he said.

There is no implication that unusual techniques were used to 'recover' the memory. She told her story in couples therapy.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0