Kavanaugh dustup may help Republicans in November.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The nasty, vicious attack on Brett Kavanaugh may backfire, turning voters against the Dems in the mid-term election. My take is that whatever he did (if indeed he did it) as a stupid high school teen he has redeemed many times over by his distinguished legal career.

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
0zbyo0erwdo11.png

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟820,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
My take is that whatever he did (if indeed he did it) as a stupid high school teen he has redeemed many times over by his distinguished legal career.

Bill Cosby made a lot of people laugh over the decades.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Bill Cosby made a lot of people laugh over the decades.

Irrelevant. Cosby has been proven guilty of much more serious crimes, crimes committed as an adult, than the unproven and uncorroborated allegations against the teenaged Kavanaugh.

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!
Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Irrelevant. Cosby has been proven guilty of much more serious crimes, crimes committed as an adult, than the unproven and uncorroborated allegations against the teenaged Kavanaugh.
That is a valid distinction, however since this is the highest court it would be prudent to investigate thoroughly before giving or retaining consent.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,626.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The nasty, vicious attack on Brett Kavanaugh may backfire, turning voters against the Dems in the mid-term election. My take is that whatever he did (if indeed he did it) as a stupid high school teen he has redeemed many times over by his distinguished legal career.
I'd say that he' pretty clean if they had to go back that far to find some dirt on him.

Sheesh. Check any male from that era and try to see how clean that they have been since high school... just look at Clinton.... and he was a grown man and the president... How soon we forget.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Really? Is there a limit to this? Rape, Murder, Genocide? Where would that line be drawn if there is one and more importantly how would the line be justified?
You mean a limit to uncorroborated crimes? Well he has not been accused yet of murder or genocide. You actually have to have dead bodies to prove those.

Reactions: mark kennedy
Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
If he did do this, I have a huge problem with that and wouldn't want to see him appointed.

That said, I don't believe that he's guilty of anything he's being accused of (and neither do senate democrats, I'd bet)
Why do you have confidence he is guiltless?

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
You mean a limit to uncorroborated crimes? Well he has not been accused yet of murder or genocide. You actually have to have dead bodies to prove those.
The accusation is recent. But that's not germane to my question. The poster I was replying to commented that whatever he might have done is redeemed by his legal career. What I want to know is what wouldn't be outweighed by his legal career if not sexual assault?

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why do you have confidence he is guiltless?

We have all sinned and fallen short so none of are guiltless. That being said, the standard is supposed to be that one is considered innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. As no evidence has been presented to back up the allegations, one ought not presume guilt. Why a not ask those that say they believe Ms. Ford sans any evidence to back up her allegations why they have confidence that he is guilty?

• Agree
Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The accusation is recent. But that's not germane to my question. The poster I was replying to commented that whatever he might have done is redeemed by his legal career. What I want to know is what wouldn't be outweighed by his legal career if not sexual assault?
A valid question. If we pit a 35 year reputation where the vast majority of people who knew him best said they never witnessed this behavior with a few who come up right before a vote, what are we to think? That hundreds of people who had direct contact with Kavanaugh were duped or are lying? I think that will be on the minds of fair minded senators on Thursday.

What Ms Ford will be up against is the above along with 6 FBI initiated background investigations which did not bring up any crimes or behavior the accuser brought forth.

And she has to answer the question why, even now after she has gone public, has not reported the incident to the local authorities who are standing by to take her report:

Montgomery County police: No word from Christine Blasey Ford about Kavanaugh investigation

Also, why it took this long to remember BK. It was not until a couples retreat where she received repressed memory therapy that she remembered the incident.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟820,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
the unproven and uncorroborated allegations against the teenaged Kavanaugh.

Oldwiseguy said "whatever he did". Many of Kavanaugh's supporters have moved to this. It doesn't even matter what he did.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟820,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
It was not until a couples retreat where she received repressed memory therapy that she remembered the incident.

Do you have a source for this?

• Optimistic
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
A valid question. If we pit a 35 year reputation where the vast majority of people who knew him best said they never witnessed this behavior with a few who come up right before a vote, what are we to think? That hundreds of people who had direct contact with Kavanaugh were duped or are lying? I think that will be on the minds of fair minded senators on Thursday.

You seem to believe his reputation is more sparkling than Ms. Ford's. They both have excellent reputations. Now your response doesn't address my question as to what wouldn't be redeemed by his excellent reputation? You immediately addressed a possible motive for the timing re. reporting the incident. You didn't address my actual question.

What Ms Ford will be up against is the above along with 6 FBI initiated background investigations which did not bring up any crimes or behavior the accuser brought forth.

And she has to answer the question why, even now after she has gone public, has not reported the incident to the local authorities who are standing by to take her report:

Are you trained in any discipline that would address the motives of people who have been traumatized? I am and I assure you there are numerous valid reasons why she might not come out with this previously.

Also, why it took this long to remember BK. It was not until a couples retreat where she received repressed memory therapy that she remembered the incident.

She never claimed she had forgotten what happened. (so far as I've read) She claims she has been counselling since the 90's for this incident, and claims she would give permission to her therapist who would verify this if subpoened. She didn't come out with this incident to her husband until the couples retreat, which is not the same as suddenly remembering.

What I hope is that the truth is revealed one way or the other. I'm not a fan of BK but I have no reason to believe he wouldn't be a capable jurist. But, if these accusations are true then his denial of them is a big red flag and I believe that would reveal a lack of integrity which should keep him off the bench.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
We have all sinned and fallen short so none of are guiltless. That being said, the standard is supposed to be that one is considered innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. As no evidence has been presented to back up the allegations, one ought not presume guilt. Why a not ask those that say they believe Ms. Ford sans any evidence to back up her allegations why they have confidence that he is guilty?

I don't have confidence that he is guilty as for evidence you should know that most sexual assault cases are he said/ she said. Very few except for full penetration have any other evidence. I'm certainly not claiming he is guilty, but I am patient enough to await an investigation. Considering the position her claims should be investigated.

Upvote 0