Kansas votes 62% to retain the right to access an abortion in its constitution.

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟195,068.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
There's nothing that says that legislators are (or have to be) smarter or well-informed on a given issue than the electorate they represent. Especially when you're talking about house reps or state level legislators.

One hopes they would be informed.

You mean "e.g.".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One hopes they would be informed.

As my grandpa always said, hope in one hand and poop in the other and see which one fills up first.

There's no IQ test for becoming an elected official...

In a representative system, elected people are going to "represent" the people of their districts.

That has pros and cons. If you have an entire district of low information voters, you can reasonably expect that their house rep is likely going to be someone just like them. (after all, "that person is just like me" is going to appeal to people in a lot of cases)

Why I say there's pros and cons?

While I don't want some high school drop-out climate denier dictating climate policy...I equally don't want a woke 26 year old with a masters in gender studies dictating social policy either (despite the fact that they're at opposite ends of the educational spectrum)

One needs to also consider that radical pushes from either side is going to draw equally radical counter-pushes from the other side.

Meaning, if one side is pushing an abortion policy that is extreme to one side, the people who are extreme to the other side are going to come out of the woodwork.

With regards to this subject, that's why we have "elective abortion in the third trimester" vs. "heartbeat bill" (which is a misnomer) as our two choices...when both of those options are extreme in the eyes of 80% of the population.

There's a reason why elected republicans are afraid to say they support abortion in cases of rape and incest, and why elected democrats dodge the question of whether or not they'd restrict elective abortion in the 3rd trimester.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,543.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Kansas has spoken. No, some people aren't going to be happy. Had the vote gone the other way, some people wouldn't be happy.

But that is the way of things. That is what was supposed to happen. The states have their say.

If we are ever going to come to a place where we can work together then we have to be willing to not be fully happy.

From the founding of this country and the government there was always a schism of thought. As long as the left is going to protest and fight against abortion restrictions we can't overcome the schism. As long as the right isn't willing to address legitimate concerns from the left then we can't overcome the schism.

This country was founded despite the deep differences. We certainly ought to be able to get past some of these in this issue.

Reactions: Yttrium
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There's a reason why elected republicans are afraid to say they support abortion in cases of rape and incest, and why elected democrats dodge the question of whether or not they'd restrict elective abortion in the 3rd trimester.

I'm pro-choice. But I would strongly doubt that an elective abortion in the 3rd trimester (28 weeks or after) is really an issue. If it's done, it would only be for an immediate life-threatening maternal health threat. One indication would be a ruptured uterus. This generally occurs at the site of a previous C-section, and results in massive hemorrhage. The fetus is often expelled into the abdominal cavity, and usually doesn't survive. Uterine rupture requires blood replacement and an immediate hysterectomy. The focus is on preventing the woman from bleeding to death. The welfare of the fetus is a secondary concern. It's possible that a pregnant woman after 28 weeks or later might develop a sudden unrelated and unexpected illness that could be worsened by continuing the pregnancy to term. But in these (also rare) cases, the pregnancy would--if at all possible--be ended by inducing labor. A 28+ week preemie would need neonatal ICU care, but is viable. But a purely elective 3rd trimester abortion is a canard. It won't happen in any legitimate medical facility.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But a purely elective 3rd trimester abortion is a canard. It won't happen in any legitimate medical facility.

If it won't happen at any legitimate facility, then why do some legitimate facilities advertise/offer it?
Abortion after 26 weeks - Dupont Clinic | Gynecology & Reproductive Health | Washington DC

If you are 26 weeks or later into your pregnancy, we can still see you, regardless of your medical history, background, or fetal indications. We do not require any particular “reason” to be seen here – if you would like to terminate your pregnancy, we support you in that decision.

...but with regards to the sentiment about it being a non issue because "it only accounts for fewer than 1% of abortions", why is it okay for one side to build an entire moral case and semantically overload their proposal around a <1% subset of abortions, but it's considered wrong for the other side to employ the same strategy?

For instance,

Why can staunch pro-choice advocates brand their proposal as "Defending Womens' Health Act" or the like (when 'health reasons' is <1% of the abortions that take place)? Meanwhile, nearly a fourth give the reason "worried it will impact my career prospects" and another third say "not ready for a baby yet".

So instead of calling it "Womens' Health Defense Act", wouldn't a more appropriate name be "Making sure a mistake doesn't disrupt career prospects Act"...or does that not sound as noble?

But when staunch pro-life advocates fixate on a different <1% of abortions, (and uses a similarly semantically overloaded branding strategy) they're labelled as being inauthentic or disingenuous?

For the record, I'm not in the pro-life camp, but I think there's value in just biting the bullet and going with the "say what you mean, and mean what you say" approach.

It's very reminiscent of some of the "moral-sounding outliers" approach marijuana advocates used to employ before it was legalized in a lot of places. I'm in the pro-legalization camp for pot, but thought it was tacky when virtually every argument you heard about it was centered around "it helps cancer patients have an appetite" when everyone knew darn well that was the vast minority of people using it. ...and I told them something similar "Just say what you really mean: I'm an adult, and I should be able to smoke weed in my living room if I want"

But you can't cling to a moral sounding outlier, pretend "that's what this whole thing is about", and then chastise the other side for employing the same strategy.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jayem
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If it won't happen at any legitimate facility, then why do some legitimate facilities advertise/offer it?
Abortion after 26 weeks - Dupont Clinic | Gynecology & Reproductive Health | Washington DC

If you are 26 weeks or later into your pregnancy, we can still see you, regardless of your medical history, background, or fetal indications. We do not require any particular “reason” to be seen here – if you would like to terminate your pregnancy, we support you in that decision.

...but with regards to the sentiment about it being a non issue because "it only accounts for fewer than 1% of abortions", why is it okay for one side to build an entire moral case and semantically overload their proposal around a <1% subset of abortions, but it's considered wrong for the other side to employ the same strategy?

For instance,

Why can staunch pro-choice advocates brand their proposal as "Defending Womens' Health Act" or the like (when 'health reasons' is <1% of the abortions that take place)? Meanwhile, nearly a fourth give the reason "worried it will impact my career prospects" and another third say "not ready for a baby yet".

So instead of calling it "Womens' Health Defense Act", wouldn't a more appropriate name be "Making sure a mistake doesn't disrupt career prospects Act"...or does that not sound as noble?

But when staunch pro-life advocates fixate on a different <1% of abortions, (and uses a similarly semantically overloaded branding strategy) they're labelled as being inauthentic or disingenuous?

For the record, I'm not in the pro-life camp, but I think there's value in just biting the bullet and going with the "say what you mean, and mean what you say" approach.

It's very reminiscent of some of the "moral-sounding outliers" approach marijuana advocates used to employ before it was legalized in a lot of places. I'm in the pro-legalization camp for pot, but thought it was tacky when virtually every argument you heard about it was centered around "it helps cancer patients have an appetite" when everyone knew darn well that was the vast minority of people using it. ...and I told them something similar "Just say what you really mean: I'm an adult, and I should be able to smoke weed in my living room if I want"

But you can't cling to a moral sounding outlier, pretend "that's what this whole thing is about", and then chastise the other side for employing the same strategy.

That’s interesting. I stand corrected. I knew that the late George Tiller performed 3rd trimester terminations, but I wasn’t aware of this provider. Their cut-off is 31 weeks, 6 days. Which is the early 3rd trimester, that’s usually defined as beginning at week 27 or 28. I would still doubt that such abortions account for much of their volume. It’s a 3 day procedure, and there’s no insurance coverage. I’ll bet the cost is $5K at minimum. (Travel and accommodations not included.) But OTOH, the typical cost of an uncomplicated full term vaginal delivery without insurance is $5-10K.

I completely agree with you that invoking outliers to prove a point is unconvincing and intellectually weak.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I completely agree with you that invoking outliers to prove a point is unconvincing and intellectually weak.

...or at least have the same set of rules for both sides to follow.

For instance, either outliers are on the table or their off the table in terms of things that weigh into the decision making process.

With regards to where staunch pro-life and staunch pro-choice people are at on the issue, they're occupying polar opposite ends of the bell curve, but brand their message in such a way that makes it come across as if they're representing the "meaty part in the middle"

Like the example I provided before, where they labelled the bill "Women's health defense act" (despite health-related reasons being fewer than 1% of abortions)

Likewise, the staunch pro-life side uses some similar labelling with some of their anti-abortion proposals with things like "Defense of life" "protecting children" (even though their proposals could deny a 11 year an abortion if she's raped by her uncle)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Facing voter backlash, California Republicans recalibrate their antiabortion stance

After Roe was overturned in June, voters in conservative Kansas resoundingly rejected an effort to remove abortion protections from the state constitution. In four special House elections, Democrats this summer have gotten more of the vote than Joe Biden did in those districts in 2020, a sign that the pro-abortion rights energy may be lasting.

The Life at Conception Act is fewer than 300 words, but its language leaves little room for ambiguity on abortion.

Put simply: “It would be a nationwide abortion ban,” ...

The legislation was co-sponsored by more than half of California’s Republican congressional delegation — including three representatives who face highly competitive races in the November midterm elections: Reps. Michelle Steel of Seal Beach, Mike Garcia of Santa Clarita and David Valadao of Hanford.

But in the two months since the Supreme Court’s Dobbs ruling overturned Roe vs. Wade, stripping away constitutional protections for abortion, the candidates have been noticeably quiet on the issue. Nationally, Republican candidates in tight races have appeared on the defensive, releasing ads downplaying their antiabortion stances.

Steel and Garcia were not made available for interviews but provided statements about the abortion debate. Both indicated they back exceptions to abortion bans in cases of rape, incest or threats to the mother’s health — a departure from the bill. [Valadao did not respond.]

The number of registered Democrats in Orange County [which overlaps part of Steel's district] has increased by more than 4,100 since a draft of the landmark abortion decision was leaked in May — compared with a jump of just 946 for Republicans, according to data from the Orange County Registrar of Voters. [Steel won in 2020 by ~8000 votes.]

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The left promises to help the poor achieve a tolerable living standard.
They've been saying that for the better part of a century I've been alive. They making any progress?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
They've been saying that for the better part of a century I've been alive. They making any progress?
All the best places seem to be more leftist that the USA, but a lot less leftist than, say, Soviet Russia.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,833.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
You mean in the USA or in first world countries?

Upvote 0