Kansas votes 62% to retain the right to access an abortion in its constitution.

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Have you always lived in Australia? For some reason, I thought you were American. The reason I say this is because you sound so clear from way over on the other side of the world. Anyway, I personally feel the Kansas abortion referendum results were a fluke. When push comes to shove most states are going to ban abortion in some way or another. Abortion mutilates and murders a real person in the womb. No society should be that barbaric!!!
Getting there with the exclamation points.

• Winner
Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,147,798.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Have you always lived in Australia? For some reason, I thought you were American. The reason I say this is because you sound so clear from way over on the other side of the world. Anyway, I personally feel the Kansas abortion referendum results were a fluke. When push comes to shove most states are going to ban abortion in some way or another. Abortion mutilates and murders a real person in the womb. No society should be that barbaric!!!
Not a fluke. It reflects the polls that say the majority are against blanket bans, and are also against totally unregulated, even in red states.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟253,210.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Don’t be silly, after this drubbing there’s not going to be any more referendums.

A couple of points...

In some states, protection of abortion rights is written into the state constitution, as it is in Kansas. So the state would need a referendum if they wanted to change the constitution and ban it. I can't remember which specific states they were (I listed them in a post some way upstream) but I think they're all 'liberal' states (except Kansas) which would want the status quo to remain.

But...I'm wondering if states like California, which would presumably want to protect abortion rights anyway, might have a referendum just to show the support it would garner.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
In some states, protection of abortion rights is written into the state constitution, as it is in Kansas. So the state would need a referendum if they wanted to change the constitution and ban it.
They learned their lesson. From now on it’s going to be ignore the state constitution and write the law anyway, just like state laws that ignored Roe while it was as a thing.

Cant trust the plebs without a gerrymander/empty land gets more votes filter on them.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Hvizsgyak

Jan 28, 2021
Spring Hill
✟94,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Getting there with the exclamation points.
Ya like them. I wasn't sure whether to go with three or five. I'm really trying to drive the point home into some really thick skulls^_^.

Upvote 0

Hvizsgyak

Jan 28, 2021
Spring Hill
✟94,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Be prepared for more flukes.
Remember just because a large group of people like the particular evil (in this case killing the unborn child) doesn't make it right. Abortion is a so called right based on a delusional and corrupted view of liberty. Therefore, flukes will be squashed like the cockroaches they are.

Upvote 0

Hvizsgyak

Jan 28, 2021
Spring Hill
✟94,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Not a fluke. It reflects the polls that say the majority are against blanket bans, and are also against totally unregulated, even in red states.
Read my reply to Bradski, it applies to your views too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hvizsgyak

Jan 28, 2021
Spring Hill
✟94,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As would most of us. If we see the pro-life groups actually transition to supporting women it will go a long way in showing their intentions to help.
Hey Belk, did the Pro-Life movement get the woman pregnant? Why are you so under the impression that because the Pro-Life movement wants abortions ended FOREVER that we have to be the ones who take care of all the unwanted pregnancies? Didn't the man impregnate the woman? Garnish his wages for child support. I agree the Pro-Life movement is offering support already to women financially, mentally, physically, spiritually and ... We are doing a good part so how about men and women do their part and become more responsible. We have a bunch of little children in this world who want to do adult things but they don't want the responsibilities of an adult.

Upvote 0

Hvizsgyak

Jan 28, 2021
Spring Hill
✟94,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Where in US law do I find the veto power delegated to “fate” and who is allowed to make use of it?
We got Barack Obama and Donald Trump elected to the Presidency at the right necessary point in history where tides were turning - healthcare for all and the end to abortion on demand. These policies aren't perfected yet but they have been put into motion and they won't be going back to the status quo. There is a Bigger Thing guiding life in general. I won't be answering anymore reponses, this thread is done.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
We got Barack Obama and Donald Trump elected to the Presidency at the right necessary point in history where tides were turning - healthcare for all and the end to abortion on demand. These policies aren't perfected yet but they have been put into motion and they won't be going back to the status quo. There is a Bigger Thing guiding life in general. I won't be answering anymore reponses, this thread is done.
upload_2022-8-15_9-0-36.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,976.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Hey Belk, did the Pro-Life movement get the woman pregnant? Why are you so under the impression that because the Pro-Life movement wants abortions ended FOREVER that we have to be the ones who take care of all the unwanted pregnancies? Didn't the man impregnate the woman? Garnish his wages for child support. I agree the Pro-Life movement is offering support already to women financially, mentally, physically, spiritually and ... We are doing a good part so how about men and women do their part and become more responsible. We have a bunch of little children in this world who want to do adult things but they don't want the responsibilities of an adult.

This is why some take issue with the pro-life movement. You start out with assumptions based on nothing I have said or insinuated. Then you move on to self congratulatory claims of work that has, to date, fallen short of what is needed. You finish off by belittling and demonizing those you disagree with.

This is what it looks like to be part of the problem instead of helping.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is why some take issue with the pro-life movement. You start out with assumptions based on nothing I have said or insinuated. Then you move on to self congratulatory claims of work that has, to date, fallen short of what is needed. You finish off by belittling and demonizing those you disagree with.

This is what it looks like to be part of the problem instead of helping.

There's plenty of issues to have with the pro-life movement. I've enumerated them on several occasions.

-significant overlap with the "abstinence-only education" movement
-against any and all forms of social welfare programs that would make single motherhood more approachable
-supporting movements to refuse contraception access on the grounds that "I shouldn't have to pay for that"
(all of which increase the demand for abortion)

The main issue is that nobody that I'm aware of (in US politics) is pushing for a "reasonable middle ground proposal"

Either "you're siding with the aforementioned pro-lifers", or you're siding with the people who's positions on abortion are further left than the Scandinavian countries.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not comfortable with being forced to choose between siding with people who think that abstinence-only education works and celebrating Hobby Lobby not having to cover birth control pills, or siding with people who think that elective abortions up through the 3rd trimester are a "celebration-worthy" symbol of women's' autonomy.

If there was a politician who proposed a model that resembled what the Scandinavian countries have, which is exceptions for rape/incest/health, and capping elective abortions at 14-16 weeks, they'd have my support along with 80% of the US population (according to public polling)

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟193,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm not comfortable with being forced to choose between siding with people who think that abstinence-only education works and celebrating Hobby Lobby not having to cover birth control pills, or siding with people who think that elective abortions up through the 3rd trimester are a "celebration-worthy" symbol of women's' autonomy.

The second set in your quote above are practically nonexistent.
If there was a politician who proposed ... exceptions for rape/incest/health, and capping elective abortions at 14-16 weeks, they'd have my support along with 80% of the US population (according to public polling)

Nobody is allowed to advocate such a position in this forum, but I'm sure many would if they could.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,976.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
There's plenty of issues to have with the pro-life movement. I've enumerated them on several occasions.

Some in the pro-life crowd. To be fair I have meet some who are fair minded and willing to put their money where their mouth is.

-significant overlap with the "abstinence-only education" movement
-against any and all forms of social welfare programs that would make single motherhood more approachable
-supporting movements to refuse contraception access on the grounds that "I shouldn't have to pay for that"
(all of which increase the demand for abortion)

The main issue is that nobody that I'm aware of (in US politics) is pushing for a "reasonable middle ground proposal"

Either "you're siding with the aforementioned pro-lifers", or you're siding with the people who's positions on abortion are further left than the Scandinavian countries.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not comfortable with being forced to choose between siding with people who think that abstinence-only education works and celebrating Hobby Lobby not having to cover birth control pills, or siding with people who think that elective abortions up through the 3rd trimester are a "celebration-worthy" symbol of women's' autonomy.

If there was a politician who proposed a model that resembled what the Scandinavian countries have, which is exceptions for rape/incest/health, and capping elective abortions at 14-16 weeks, they'd have my support along with 80% of the US population (according to public polling)

The issue with extremists. One side gets extreme and the other side moves in the opposite direction.

• Agree
Reactions: ThatRobGuy
Upvote 0