Just some personal thoughts about my life...

Epoh99

Veteran
Oct 28, 2005
✟9,683.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've finally read the book I mentioned previously, Evangelism for the Rest of Us: Sharing Christ Within Your Personality Style.

It talked about how we introverts can use our particular strengths, such as communicating our faith in writing rather than in speaking, and ministering to others within our long-term friendships rather than feeling we have to preach at every single stranger who crosses our path.

I thought it was really good. In fact, it said a lot of the things that I've been saying and thinking for years, and advocated the lifestyle that I'm already living.

So I guess I didn't really learn much from it, but it did confirm to me that I'm okay. ;)
Cool, Orchard, I'm going to have to check out that book. Quick personal example: There is this evangelism class at our church that several people really push (not the Pastor, the people that participate in it) and they think this is the be all and end all of evangelism programs. I've never felt led to join as they go to people's homes and try to witness. I just don't feel comfortable with that and as I said, I've never felt led to do that. They almost make you feel guilty if you're not banging down doors trying to win people for the Lord.

Upvote 0

Amélie Unbound

Just doing the best I can.
May 11, 2005
Canada
✟4,727.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Cool, Orchard, I'm going to have to check out that book. Quick personal example: There is this evangelism class at our church that several people really push (not the Pastor, the people that participate in it) and they think this is the be all and end all of evangelism programs. I've never felt led to join as they go to people's homes and try to witness. I just don't feel comfortable with that and as I said, I've never felt led to do that. They almost make you feel guilty if you're not banging down doors trying to win people for the Lord.

The book addresses that very attitude. The author was made to feel the same way when he was younger, but later realized that those evangelism methods, while fine for some people, are not right for everyone.

The general idea is that God made us a certain way, and we should use the gifts He's given us. Some of us are simply not extroverted enough to bang on doors to evangelize. We can force ourselves to do it, but we won't be very effective at it, because it goes against everything that God made us to be.

I think most introverts already know that though. All this book will do is confirm it. Which is always nice.

However, I can't help thinking that the people who really need to read this book are the ones who try to make us feel guilty for not conforming to their idea of what a bold Christian witness is. But people who make others feel guilty for being different usually only "care" enough to criticize, and not enough to actually take the time to read a book to educate themselves about others' differences. :sigh:

Upvote 0

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
That sounds like a very interesting book. I want to read it now.

That attitude you're describing fits so well with many of the people I know who call themselves evangelists. It seems like certain people with that gift see an evangelizing opportunity wherever they look, and they are hard-core about it. I can't relate to them, and I hate to admit it but I often find them rather on the pompous side and difficult to get along with.

I read something really good recently, I want to try to find it...yeah, here it is. It's called Some Ground Rules For An Honest Discussion About Christianity. It's just a blogger, a regular joe, but some of things he says to do and not do made so much sense it seems almost impossible that people wouldn't have thought of this stuff themselves -- but so many seemingly do not.

The best line was, "Whether or not you win this argument will not determine whether or not God exists. Relax. If you cannot speak in love, then don't speak."

Upvote 0

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Orchard, thanks for the link to the book, it does sound really interesting. Being an introvert, I am better at writing than at speaking too (in fact, if you heard me speak, you'd think I was writing it, too - I speak in written language, LOL, very longwinded and boring, people almost always lose track and interrupt me, grrrr). And my way to evangelize is also more directed at my agnostic and atheist friends, in long conversations but also by my way of life, than talking to strangers. I hardly ever talk to strangers - I'm way too shy and not capable of speaking smalltalk. Whenever I manage to talk to strangers without feeling awkward, I see that as a personal victory! And then I haven't even talked about God. :blush: Talking in itself is a challenge for me.

It surprises me, in a good way, that many of the childfree here have so much in common beyond the childfree thing. :)

Some very good posts by some of you, especially snoochface, in the thread about how sickening childfree couples are - my rep button doesn't do what it's supposed to do, so instead of repping you there, I thought I'd say it here.

Upvote 0

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
snoochface, that blog was very good! Thanks for the link! I liked this one too:
5) Please document any cases of conversions that result from the use of picket signs and/or yelling in general. I would really like to know.
And on the other side, these are good, too.
5) Please note that attacking adherents or deviants of a belief system does not actually speak to the veracity of those beliefs. For example, if all Christians really were hypocrites, it wouldn't reflect on the truth claims of Christianity either way. If all Christians were televangelists, using religion to hurt people, it still wouldn't reflect on the truth claims of Christianity either way. If all Christians were the greatest people the world has ever known . . . it still wouldn't reflect on the truth claims of Christianity either way.
6) Please note that secular governments, such as the USSR and China are just as guilty of atrocities as those (mis)using religion. Drop this argument, please.
Non-religious people always try to blame religion for violence in the world, but Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Hitler, etc. were not religious or did not do the awful things they did in name of religion.

Upvote 0

invisiblebabe

He will restore the years the locust hath eaten
Feb 12, 2004
Second star to the right, and straight on 'til mor
✟20,234.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That's funny, me too! About going back to uni, I mean. I'm finishing my Masters too! And I agree with the rest of your post and with what the others have said - Orchard, I enjoy reading your posts and you are a blessing to all of us!
You all are a huge blessing to me :)

It's funny how our rare situation is so similar. I'm a stay-at-home wife, currently, and in two months I'm returning to graduate school, too! I'm going for my Masters after taking a year off (got my bachelor's in 2006, and took a break due to medical/psychological issues). For awhile I wondered if I'd ever go back.... but I'm glad it's working out!

I vacillate between being quite driven and wanting to just give up and sleep all day (typical bipolar, haha); there is a very strong positive correlation b/w the amount of ambition I have and the amount of social support I receive. ;) So I wonder...perhaps we can start a thread to pray for and support each other, regarding grad school etc? It is so awesome seeing some of you in the same situation as myself.

Like you guys, I'm introverted and HSP, although probably less extreme of an introvert. I enjoy initiating random conversations with strangers, sometimes only out of boredom ;) but I hate groups with a passion... it's all about one-on-one for me.

Orchard, regarding names, when I was 20 I unofficially changed my first name to a variation of my original middle name (legally changed it at 22). That's sure been fun getting everyone to accept :doh: :sigh: So I hear you on feeling invalidated by how people respond to your name.

Upvote 0