• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Just Got My First Two DUIs in One Year

MJJ

Oct 25, 2015
✟16,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
I'm 39 and have been long addicted to alcohol as a coping mechanism for panic and depression. In January I drove when I thought I was fine (that's how sick I was) and wrecked my car. The County let me into ARD which was a 60 day suspension of license, classes, fines, and all the usual. It was tough but I got through that. I went into a treatment program and spent several months between inpatient and outpatient. I still see a therapist today. I've been going to AA and playing it straight but I got unnerved about being unemployed. I said at the meeting I felt I would have a problem with drinking that day but unfortunately my sponsor wasn't there. After doing some other things I ended up going to the old bar I used to frequent to have lunch and a few beers. On the way home I clipped the rear end of a car and the police cited me for DUI.

So what I am looking at is getting 1 year suspension, jail, fines, classes, etc, for the new case. Then the other county will kick me out of ARD and charge me with a second DUI totaling two and half years with no license, crippling fines (I have no money). I'm going to have to move to wherever I get a job to walk or bus it so I'm losing access to my church, my friends, and the activities I enjoy for almost three years.

I know Jesus was with me when I got the ARD. I was terrified the whole time, not knowing if I'd get in the program and then through it, but He helped me and I know I got ARD because He knew I was working to recover.

Now I don't know what I'm going to do. I know God won't abandon me but I'm unemployed (working on that), critically low on money, and am facing sentences that will essentially end my life. I'm still in AA but I don't see how that's going to help anything. I pray to Jesus all the time for some kind of salvation from this situation or that I'll at least survive it.

That's all I have to say. Even after being clean all that time obviously you are never "cured" of alcoholism. I hate being an alcoholic; it's ruined my life now. I wish God could take that character fault away from me.

EPHESIANS6:10-11

Jun 7, 2015
✟16,892.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
i have drink and drug problems myself so i understand the addiction being with you all the time

can you go to AA if you cant drive can someone take you there and back?
God can take that defect away and that by you working your program getting through the steps

believe me when i say there are things i have done when drinking that am not proud of at all
Jesus forgives us of our sins and defects
i wish you well remember to call people when you feel like drinking remember to call your sponsor

Upvote 0

MJJ

Oct 25, 2015
✟16,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
I have been very haunted by the thought of my addiction hurting or killing someone. When I got my first DUI in January I was so scared of what could have happened that I called the treatment facility the next day and went right inpatient. I've been clean most of the year until now I knuckled under from the pressure of unemployment and not making ends meet. I'd been to an AA meeting that day; I knew what to do. I had all the tools yet I still failed. I've begged God to forgive me.

I'm very upset about how this is going to change my life for the next three years, how I'll get to a job and other things, but what upsets me the most is that I did it and I forgot being in rehab wanting to never risk hurting someone again. I know Jesus won't abandon me but I hope He forgives me.

Upvote 0

Aboutmyfatherswork

Nov 5, 2015
✟15,129.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi mjj
I had multiple duis in the past. It can b overwhelming. I spent 6 months in jail and came out to a 10 year license suspension. The jailtime was great and I used it to grow in the Lord. The lack of a license has crippled me especially since 2008 collapse. God will provide for u and asks us to be sober and vigilant. It's so hard to want to stay sober when u know it helps u forget the sad world we live in and escape for awhile. But its bite is not worth it. I have substituted one thing for another and am sober today but life's not easy without work or money. Yet as I said the Lord will provide for you. Don't be too discouraged brother. Read your bible and pray for direction and stay close to positive sober people. Gotta stay away from anyone actively useing early in sobriety at least. Stayboutta the bars too. If u have to drink a little do it at home or don't do it at all. That's my advice. Also feel free to message me anytime u want to chat or are thinking of useing. Peace b with u
Tom

Upvote 0