Rhye

Legend
Mar 29, 2010
✟43,006.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I used to advocate that man and woman could be friends, but now I don't think its as simple if there is any slightest attraction. Now, every person is different and even relationship is different, but usually I have learned from my own experience even if I can be friends, and would like to be friends with another man, I won't because I'm clearly crossing a boundary I don't want too cross. I've tried once and failed, tried a second time and failed, then I shouldn't have tired the second time and keep my distance.

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟840,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't see girls as "catches". I think that because I'm a single guy, if I become friends with a girl and we have chemistry and get along, then what's wrong with wondering if something can't grow from that? Not every guy is about looks and trying to get into a woman's pants. I'm more attracted to someone's personality and if we get along great and she has a great, fun personality, then what's wrong with considering it?

Reactions: Humble Pie
Upvote 0

Rhye

Legend
Mar 29, 2010
✟43,006.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't see girls as "catches". I think that because I'm a single guy, if I become friends with a girl and we have chemistry and get along, then what's wrong with wondering if something can't grow from that? Not every guy is about looks and trying to get into a woman's pants. I'm more attracted to someone's personality and if we get along great and she has a great, fun personality, then what's wrong with considering it?

Nothing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TwistTim

Whimsical, Witty, Wacky, Waiting, Wise Guy
Jan 27, 2007
Ork
✟22,644.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Considering more than half my co-workers are females and in my business it's better to be friends with someone (at least at work) than have them against you... yes it can work, and sometimes it works wonderfully, I have gained many insights into the female mind this way.

However if you are deluding yourself about the nature of it and it is someone you are actually deeply attracted to and hoping to make attracted to you? No that never works, not outside of movies anyways.

Final evaluation: depends on your motivation going into it. Be honest with yourself as to why you are pursuing this relationship, and if there is something you are trying/hoping to gain from it.

Upvote 0

TwistTim

Whimsical, Witty, Wacky, Waiting, Wise Guy
Jan 27, 2007
Ork
✟22,644.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I'd answer you but I'm afraid to be accused of trolling again.
This sounds like trolling to me.

No seriously though, this is an open ended question, the OP did ask for all opinions and if someone isn't mature enough to hear people out, that is their loss.

Upvote 0

strelok0017

_______
Sep 23, 2011
✟13,640.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Honestly I don't think it is a problem. It might be for some but the issue they have to deal with, and so do all of us no matter how much we struggle with this problem, is lust. Other than that I can't see anything stopping two single persons being friends. That's just silly, sorry. :muahah:
You know something has gone very wrong when people ask that. God created friendship and we are told in the Bible to treat women as sisters in Christ (at least believers, correct me on this one, I totally forgot the verse) and be respectful (applies to all).
:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lisa1285

Oct 13, 2011
USA~CA
✟15,142.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I have heard alot of people say no men and women can't really be friends. For me...it depends on the person. As a single woman, I have no business being friends with "married men" period. Since women are technically the recipients in sexual relationships and they have alot of control over men in general---it is our responsibility not to lead guys on. Men and women don't think the same way, unfortunately.
To really answer your question--YES men and women can be friends--preferably acquaintances. People need each other--women need men and men need women. So that's my take on the matter.

Upvote 0

HisHealingLove

Matthew 6:6
Jan 9, 2012
✟15,203.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think it can be difficult. For many reasons. It can happen, but some people seem to be into the friends first, "I love you" second without ever making their intention clear before that jump, and that can hurt a friendship. A lot.

If there is any sort of attraction from one side I think friendship can crumble, especially if it is not reciprocated or the one who is attracted mistakes someone acknowledging the attractiveness of a friend for being attracted to them.

If you have other friends they pick up on a friendship and try to make it into something more, which can put a lot of pressure on the friendship and at times even destroy it.

Upvote 0

KingCrimson250

IS A HOMEBOY
Apr 10, 2009
✟18,395.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think it's possible, but how deep the friendship goes is a caveat there. If you mean friends as in "people who hang out" then absolutely that's possible. When there's a deeper connection, then I think there's the danger of one person (often stereotyped as the woman, but not necessarily) is able to get all the emotional fulfilment they want out of a relationship without having to give very much in return, leading to a one-sided friendship at best, and possibly one person manipulating another's romantic feelings if there are any involved.

So I'm cool with it so long as it remains mutually agreeable. If I get the sense that I'm being used, I'm out.

Upvote 0

Gwenyfur

Legend
Dec 18, 2004
Everywhere
✟66,698.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
I've had a nearly life long male friend. We've been friends for nearly 27 years. He's my best friend, my confidant, my stalwart defender, the brother I never had. We've remained friends whether we're both single, attached, or any combination thereof.

There's never been an issue of jealousy from those we've been involved with and we've never been intimate or even questioned the wisdom of complicating our friendship with other feelings. We are friends...best friends...we love each other and we value that life long relationship.

Upvote 0

HeKnowsMyName

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 23, 2006
Jawja!
✟69,974.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'd like to think so but I would be concerned one or the other would develop feelings - if both did, that would be fine but if only 1 did it could be difficult. I have a good friend that I wouldn't mind going out to eat with or to the movies with but I'm afraid to go there because I'm going through a 'needy' phase I think and I don't want to attach myself to his sweetness.

Upvote 0