Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Does anyone else here wish there were no denominations or complex theological debates and instead just be a generic Christian?

I will admit, that sometimes, I don't really know what to believe on specific topics like eschatology, or whether Christ is actually present in the bread and wine or it's just a symbol.

Sometimes, I just want to be a plain, ordinary Christian.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟605,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does anyone else here wish there were no denominations or complex theological debates and instead just be a generic Christian?

I will admit, that sometimes, I don't really know what to believe on specific topics like eschatology, or whether Christ is actually present in the bread and wine or it's just a symbol.

Sometimes, I just want to be a plain, ordinary Christian.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Yep, and that's what I am. Have been for a long time. It's quite rare that I join eschatology threads. Here's my theological statement after 50 years of being a Christian - Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟416,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know what you mean, it does get complicated. Peter does say to us to drink the pure milk of the word. Jesus wanted us to be farmers or soldiers and work hard. But if you stay here and do your thing you will pick up information that you can relate to. Be on your own time table as you see fit. You could grow a little. Like putting the lords talent in the bank and collect interest for him. get it ? These masters of doctrine here are missing the point sometimes for baby Christians. Jesus loves you too and God bless you with the faith you need to live your life for Him.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The problem is there are different views about many issues, some are pointless other like the mass are of vital importance.

The bible gives a clear instruction that we are to grow as Christians, that like farmers, soldiers etc we are to work hard at learning what and why we believe.
As Paul says, only babies drink milk, the mature eat meat.

Upvote 0

Samsun

Aug 30, 2022
USA
✟16,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is a struggle, wanting to "just" be a Christian in a tempest of "Paul Followers", and "Apollos Followers", etc. Paul would no doubt liken all the "denominations" as spiritual immaturity. Even being "non-denominational" these days is just another "denomination".

Yes, we have different interpretations and answers to things. But most often if we were truly willing to be of like mind, we could find ways to continue worshiping and doing fellowship in the same room. But most often that would require we not make being a Christian more about ourselves than Jesus, and more about a world-identity instead of a collective belonging to our Master.

I was raised in a "non-denominational" denomination, and in my lifetime have wandered through a number of other denominations, trying to find the right place. In the end, I've found that the right place isn't actually a place, but -- though everyone will say they already know and live this (but most seem not really) -- the right place is actually a Person. And it's all about that Person, and not about what denomination I get the best "feelies" from, or what denomination I agree most with, and so on.

These days, I'm "just" a Christian, and I'm comfortable hanging out with all kinds of different Christian beliefs as I don't recognize them as any more than opinions that I might agree or disagree with. As long as we both recognize Jesus and what He did on the Cross for us (and why), I'm good.

Upvote 0