Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If he never made cakes and believed all cakes were evil, it would be wrong to try to ask or force him to make cake. But when he makes cakes for a living... no, it is not wrong to seek to patronise his business.
It is not necessary for the baker to believe all cakes were evil for it to be wrong to ask or force him to make cake, any more than it is necessary to believe all meat is evil in order for it to be wrong to ask or induce him to at meat, for while you consistently ignore critical details, if one only believes meat sacrificed to idols is evil, then it would be wrong to ask or induce him to eat this meat.

You must agree, so why the double standard?

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
To force someone to violate their conscience we place them in a type of bondage.

Thus ifI say it violates my conscience to rent apartments to minorities or offer them jobs I can discriminate all I want. After all, it is my standard and who are you to tell them otherwise.

I think this is a pretty weak standard for being able to break the law.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Well, debating sacramentology would take us seriously off topic. But certainly my church specifically denies that marriage is a sacrament.
But this reinforces the point that "I believe something therefore I get to break the law" is a pretty terrible standard for allowing discrimination in arbitrary cases. People believe all sorts of things - where do we draw the line? Do we allow everyone to do anything they want under the guise of "but I believe"? Or do we get the government involved in vetting religious beliefs?

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
No, by reducing this to simply being a denial to "buy a product that's being offered for sale" and you are misconstruing the issue

Or as the post you're responding to pointed out, simply not buying the spin coming from people looking for excuses to discriminate against gay people.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.