Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
MA Gov. Seeks Removal of Judge Who Allegedly Helped Illegal Immigrant Evade ICE Agent

Basically, this judge went to pretty significant lengths to allow a criminal alien to escape court where ICE was waiting to take him into custody. The alien, who was in court on drug charges and has used multiple fake identities, was ushered out the back door by the judge and over a fence.

Obviously, she's in some rather serious trouble. I think she should be removed from the bench and disbarred at least. Realistically, she should be facing multiple criminal charges and probably do some time.

What do you think?

• Informative
Reactions: brinny

LionL

Believer in God, doubter of religion
Jan 23, 2015
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and N. Ireland
✟37,036.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Perhaps people really need to obey the laws or face the consequences.
Not always true - it was illegal to shelter Jews in Nazi occupied countries. Evil laws must be disobeyed.
Yes, this case is very different to the situation in World War II but, without knowing all the facts, one cannot make a judgement.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Not always true - it was illegal to shelter Jews in Nazi occupied countries. Evil laws must be disobeyed.
Yes, this case is very different to the situation in World War II but, without knowing all the facts, one cannot make a judgement.

I was talking about the judge.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'd need to hear the rest of the story.

What parts of the story are missing? ICE showed up to the guy's hearing to begin deportation proceedings....judge helped him escape.

What other details did you want?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I can understand why people might feel that way...but this is a judge. We're talking about a public servant who's job is to dispense justice without bias or preference. Her political views regarding the law are irrelevant.

If she cannot fulfill her duties as a public servant....she should have resigned. She's corrupt and should be treated as such. IMO she's no better than a cop who plants evidence on a subject to ensure a conviction.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
What parts of the story are missing? ICE showed up to the guy's hearing to begin deportation proceedings....judge helped him escape.

What other details did you want?
Uh, the evidence that the judge helped him escape. All your article has (and I watched the video too) is commentary that assumes the allegations are true, like the OP does. Those are pretty important details to me, but I'm an "innocent until proven guilty" kinda guy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

I am sure that there are quite a few people that would like to see laws similar to that on the books.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
It seems clear that she did that. The question is whether that constitutes interfering with an ICE agent.
Where's the evidence that she did that? According to the OP she "went to significant lengths" and "ushered him out the back door". Why is it "clear that she did that"?

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree a judge should not help an illegal escape from the government, but I also agree with the comments in this thread that the information given is rather vague. The video said he's been arrested and deported several times for drugs, so not sure why she would protect him.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
MA Gov. Seeks Removal of Judge Who Allegedly Helped Illegal Immigrant Evade ICE Agent

Basically, this judge went to pretty significant lengths to allow a criminal alien to escape court where ICE was waiting to take him into custody. The alien, who was in court on drug charges and has used multiple fake identities, was ushered out the back door by the judge and over a fence.

Obviously, she's in some rather serious trouble. I think she should be removed from the bench and disbarred at least. Realistically, she should be facing multiple criminal charges and probably do some time.

What do you think?

I think we should wait for the Grand Jury's decision.
:

State trial court rules dictate that judges and their staff neither help nor hinder federal immigration authorities.

I also think that is wrong for ICE to be inside and/or in proximity to a court room.

This article sheds some more information on the case
Judge Shelley Joseph is being investigated for allegedly helping immigrant flee ICE arrest

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Where's the evidence that she did that? According to the OP she "went to significant lengths" and "ushered him out the back door". Why is it "clear that she did that"?
Uh, the evidence that the judge helped him escape. All your article has (and I watched the video too) is commentary that assumes the allegations are true, like the OP does. Those are pretty important details to me, but I'm an "innocent until proven guilty" kinda guy.

Oh ok...I see. Well let's review the facts...

1. The subject is in court on drug charges, and an ICE agent is there waiting for him to be released from court custody.
2. The judge expresses concerns to his attorney that he'll be deported by the ICE once he's turned over.
3. The judge asks the clerk to turn off the court recorder (which is illegal itself) ostensibly so she can say something to the bailiff that she doesn't want on record or anyone else to hear.
4. The subject is led out the back of the courtroom (I'm assuming in cuffs since that is how every defendant enters and leaves court in every hearing I've ever been to) from which it appears he escapes through the back door and over the fence around the courthouse.
5. The judge isn't claiming that the subject escaped on his own, assaulted the bailiff then escaped, or that she didn't facilitate his escape. In fact, she refuses to comment on the case at all.

Now, common sense would indicate that the judge helped this criminal escape deportation....but I'll admit, I've considered a few compelling theories which might prove her innocent...

1. Mass hypnosis. The subject is a mentalist with extraordinary powers and managed to convince everyone that he's innocent and they let him go and have no memory of it.
2. Magic. Despite being a "muggle" the subject managed to get his hands on Harry Potter's invisibility cloak which he used to disappear from court.
3. I call this the "ole' Shawshank"....it involves another defendant named Red whom the subject got friendly with, traded for a rock hammer, then he took a 6 month restroom break and tunneled his way out of the courthouse using a poster to cover the tunnel. A classic escape plan.
4. He's secretly an X-man in training with the mutant power to shrink really small at will....but only if there an evil ICE agent around.

Of course, if you've got any better theories about how he escaped don't hesitate to share them.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Oh ok...I see. Well let's review the facts...
Sure, let's do that.
1. The subject is in court on drug charges, and an ICE agent is there waiting for him to be released from court custody.
Ok.
2. The judge expresses concerns to his attorney that he'll be deported by the ICE once he's turned over.
Meh, ok.
3. The judge asks the clerk to turn off the court recorder (which is illegal itself) ostensibly so she can say something to the bailiff that she doesn't want on record or anyone else to hear.
Ahh, see, what happens "ostensibly" isn't a "fact". She might have asked it turned off so that the attorneys can say things off the record.
4. The subject is led out the back of the courtroom (I'm assuming in cuffs since that is how every defendant enters and leaves court in every hearing I've ever been to) from which it appears he escapes through the back door and over the fence around the courthouse.
How are these facts? Your article didn't mention witnesses reporting that's how he left the building. And "it appears"? Really? Those aren't facts until they're supported by evidence. Your article, the video in your article, and the link to the Globe article within your article do not support these as facts. Where is the evidence that this is how it happened?
5. The judge isn't claiming that the subject escaped on his own, assaulted the bailiff then escaped, or that she didn't facilitate his escape. In fact, she refuses to comment on the case at all.
Where's the evidence for that, and so what if it's true?
Now, common sense would indicate that the judge helped this criminal escape deportation....but I'll admit, I've considered a few compelling theories which might prove her innocent...

1. Mass hypnosis. The subject is a mentalist with extraordinary powers and managed to convince everyone that he's innocent and they let him go and have no memory of it.
2. Magic. Despite being a "muggle" the subject managed to get his hands on Harry Potter's invisibility cloak which he used to disappear from court.
3. I call this the "ole' Shawshank"....it involves another defendant named Red whom the subject got friendly with, traded for a rock hammer, then he took a 6 month restroom break and tunneled his way out of the courthouse using a poster to cover the tunnel. A classic escape plan.
4. He's secretly an X-man in training with the mutant power to shrink really small at will....but only if there an evil ICE agent around.

Of course, if you've got any better theories about how he escaped don't hesitate to share them.
That's all very creative. From what facts are actually supported, though, what we know happened is that she was made aware of the ICE agent, and released him. I'll even say her decision to release him was probably because of being aware of the ICE agent. It is not however supported at all at this point that she directed him where to go, told bailiffs to lead him out back doors, etc... You made more claims than she vaguely "helped" him. Don't try to weasel out of them now.

Just because you say something is a fact, doesn't make it a fact. Let's see some evidence. Or are you going to pull the old conservative trick and tell me you don't have to support your claims and I should do your legwork for you?

Last edited:
Reactions: rambot
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

If ICE agents are known to monitor court cases (at any level), victims, witnesses and other parties to a court case may be afraid to appear.

Also, their presence -- ready to haul off the "illegal" as soon as the court's business is concluded, could be seen as prejudicial.

Upvote 0