Visit site
✟16,807.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Today, the concept of right and wrong is thought to be anachronistic as we should not think of things so simply. Well, knowing right from wrong is not always an easy thing to do, and that's why having a strong family assists one throughout the lifespan. We should feel free to label others as being wicked and evil if their actions are anti-societal or sadistic in nature. People may respond to you by saying, "Who are you to say what's wrong or right?"

I would advocate simply answering them: "I am more than suitably equipped to decide what's right from what's wrong. Many people instinctive possess this ability." As J. Daryl Charles put it in the August 18th 2003 issue of The Weekly Standard: "All people possess basic moral knowledge, all must be reminded of this basic knowledge, and in the end all must be held accountable for this basic knowledge. Once upon a time you could expect nearly everyone to agree." Certainly not anymore.

Maybe we should advocate the creation of a national "Judge Everyone Day" to help raise awareness for this problem. It would do wonders for the social fabric. Or we could have a "Judge Everybody" month. On that day I'd personally judge our universities. I'd pose worthwhile questions like "why on earth are we financially supporting institutions which mechanically vilify Ameica?" I would then await any answers that might be forthcoming.

If we don't start judging the world and its inhabitants today we may never get the chance to tomorrow as many people have already forgotten how to do it.

http://www.toogoodreports.com/column/general/chapin/20030820.htm

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Judging people is wrong. Determining that their behaviors are immoral in light of God's word is okay, even healthy if they repent because of it. But immature people can't take having anyone show them where they go wrong, so it's pointless to tell them more than once that they are wrong. They either accept the authority of God or reject it. It's up to them do something with the information.

Upvote 0

TCapp

Senior Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
✟18,136.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Others
I recommend a book by J. Budziszewski called "What We Can't Not Know". Pretty good reading, if a little verbose. The premise is that we are passing through an eerie phase of history in which the things that everyone really knows are treated as unheard of, a time in which the elements of common decency are themselves attacked as indecent.

Upvote 0
When we speak of 'Judging' someone, we must make sure that we are all using the same definition.

Judging in the context of merely telling someone that they are in error and need to mend their ways is one thing. Judging in the context of passing a sentence is another.

We, as Christians, are to judge one another in regards to our walk with Christ -- ie, we are to rebuke and resist what a fellow brother or sister is doing in the hopes of creating a brighter light to allow Christ to shine to the sinful world. There is clear New Testament support for this TYPE of judging, and it doesn't require putting someone to death!!! Hip Hip Hooray.

You can judge in love or in bitterness. The former is scripturally supported.

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
cbk said:
We we speak of 'Judging' someone, we must make sure that we are all using the same definition.

Judging in the context of merely telling someone that they are in error and need to mend their ways is one thing. Judging in the context of passing a sentence is another.

We, as Christians, are to judge one another in regards to our walk with Christ -- ie, we are to rebuke and resist what a fellow brother or sister is doing in the hopes of creating a brighter light to allow Christ to shine to the sinful world. There is clear New Testament support for this TYPE of judging, and it doesn't require putting someone to death!!! Hip Hip Hooray.

Perhaps a better term would be discernment?

Upvote 0

kdet

God lives in us
Jul 12, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟16,807.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
cbk said:
We we speak of 'Judging' someone, we must make sure that we are all using the same definition.

I believe it is like seeing a loved one under bondage to drugs or alcohol or some other addiction..in order to help him we must first make that person aware that they have a problem. As you say the key is are we doing it in a loving manner or not?

Upvote 0

Plan 9

Absolutely Elsewhere
Jul 7, 2002
Deck Six, Cargo Bay Two; apply to Annabel Lee to l
Visit site
✟20,357.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
sweetkitty said:
. We should feel free to label others as being wicked and evil if their actions are anti-societal or sadistic in nature.

Sweetkitty, why limit it to one day of the year? Let's do it every day.
Please don't forget that "everyone" means that your actions would be included. Are you suggesting that we to go to your profile, then return here and quote such posts of yours we consider sadistic or "anti-societal" and then label you as such if you have enough of them?
We could ask Dr. Erwin to make the label an option and spend all our time here, scrutinising others' posts to find those we know to be wicked and evil. Let's make the experiment here and see what happens to Christian Forums, our little society, as a result, shall we? Let's see if your theory, when implemented, benefits society when put into practice

Upvote 0

kdet

God lives in us
Jul 12, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟16,807.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Plan 9 said:
Sweetkitty, why limit it to one day of the year? Let's do it every day.
Please don't forget that "everyone" means that your actions would be included. Are you suggesting that we to go to your profile, then return here and quote such posts of yours we consider sadistic or "anti-societal" and then label you as such if you have enough of them?
We could ask Dr. Erwin to make the label an option and spend all our time here, scrutinising others' posts to find those we know to be wicked and evil. Let's make the experiment here and see what happens to Christian Forums, our little society, as a result, shall we? Let's see if your theory, when implemented, benefits society when put into practice

Ahh but we DO judge things every day:) I'm judged on here by my post just like you are..you didn't think differently did you?
The question is whether we judge rightly or not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Plan 9

Absolutely Elsewhere
Jul 7, 2002
Deck Six, Cargo Bay Two; apply to Annabel Lee to l
Visit site
✟20,357.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
sweetkitty said:
Ahh but we DO judge things every day:) I'm judged on here by my post just like you are..you didn't think differently did you?
The question is whether we judge rightly or not.

You're proposing that people, not things, be labeled "evil" and "wicked". You also quoted Charles as saying that we all have the innate ability to judge rightly. Are you retracting that?
C'mon, Sweetkitty, put your money where your mouth is.
:)

Upvote 0
J

Jet Black

sweetkitty said:
Today, the concept of right and wrong is thought to be anachronistic as we should not think of things so simply. Well, knowing right from wrong is not always an easy thing to do, and that's why having a strong family assists one throughout the lifespan. We should feel free to label others as being wicked and evil if their actions are anti-societal or sadistic in nature. People may respond to you by saying, "Who are you to say what's wrong or right?"

I would advocate simply answering them: "I am more than suitably equipped to decide what's right from what's wrong. Many people instinctive possess this ability." As J. Daryl Charles put it in the August 18th 2003 issue of The Weekly Standard: "All people possess basic moral knowledge, all must be reminded of this basic knowledge, and in the end all must be held accountable for this basic knowledge. Once upon a time you could expect nearly everyone to agree." Certainly not anymore.

Maybe we should advocate the creation of a national "Judge Everyone Day" to help raise awareness for this problem. It would do wonders for the social fabric. Or we could have a "Judge Everybody" month. On that day I'd personally judge our universities. I'd pose worthwhile questions like "why on earth are we financially supporting institutions which mechanically vilify Ameica?" I would then await any answers that might be forthcoming.

If we don't start judging the world and its inhabitants today we may never get the chance to tomorrow as many people have already forgotten how to do it.

Jesus said:
Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

I honestly suggest you start calming down a little, or when you come to be judged, you could be in for a whole heap of it.

Upvote 0
Jet Black

I think that scripture has been LARGELY taken out of context. It means that IF YOU ARE A HYPOCRITE, then you should not show judgment. It doesn't say NOT to correct your peers.

Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Upvote 0

kdet

God lives in us
Jul 12, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟16,807.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Plan 9 said:
You're proposing that people, not things, be labeled "evil" and "wicked". You also quoted Charles as saying that we all have the innate ability to judge rightly. Are you retracting that?
C'mon, Sweetkitty, put your money where your mouth is.
:)

No I'm not retracting anything. We are called to judge rightly. We are given that ability by God..but that doesn't mean that we always use it rightly. Sometimes instead of doing as God wants us to do we go out on our own and do what WE think is right. This is in all things in life not just making judgements. SOme people are evil and wicked..do you disagree that a child molestor is evil and wicked? What about a rapist? A mass muderer...isn't he evil and wicked. Most people would agree that Mussolini and Hitler were two of the most evil and wicked men on earth..but for a time some people judged that these two men were right in what they were doing..those people judged wrongly..didn't they?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SqueezetheShaman

Jul 26, 2003
✟5,461.00
Faith
Agnostic
Jet Black said:
I honestly suggest you start calming down a little, or when you come to be judged, you could be in for a whole heap of it.

It kinda reminds me of the saying, you'll have to help me...(anyone)

First they went for the (blankety blank), I did nothing. Then they went for the (blankey blank) i did nothing. Then they came for me, and there was noone left to defend me. :scratch: how does that saying go agian???

I am amazed when christians attack minorities. they may be the minorities one day, with no one willing and wanting to aid them.

Upvote 0