Nov 21, 2003
S. Cali
Visit site
✟7,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
(ok I dont know if spelled his name right), the Jewish historian that wrote about Christs death.
where can I find his original work pictures or location?
I want to refere people from a secular school philo class. So they can what he wrote about Christ.

Thanx for the help.
Hector ;)
><)))">

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Josephus didn't write about Christ's death much.

The sentence "Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their centre and become popular" occurs in Tacitus (http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/txt/ah/Tacitus/TacitusAnnals15.html#Tacitus.Annals.15.44).

-- Radagast

Upvote 0

Treasurer

May 31, 2005
At home.
✟17,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I purchased the book called, "Josephus-The Complete Works" translated by William Whiston, A.M.

I really enjoy the book. (Havent finished it yet, its really long).

It gave the life of Flavius Josephus, which I found interesting.
Antiquities of the Jews, The War of the Jews, Flavius Josephus Against Apion, An Extract Out of Josephus's Discourse to the Greeks Concerning Hades, A list of Ancient Testimonies and Records cited by Josephus, and Texts of the Old Testiment Parallel to Josephus's Histories (I found this one very interesting).

And there are a few more things added to this book. Like weights and measures, maps, index.

I was disappointed a little because Josephus just makes little note of Jesus. I was hoping for more since he was around during that time. Especially since he took the time to study under Pharasee, Saducee, Essenes doctrines and beliefs.

Upvote 0

danbarnaba

Aug 2, 2003
Visit site
✟177.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Upvote 0

danbarnaba

Aug 2, 2003
Visit site
✟177.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hex98co99

New, but not new ( in CF ).
Nov 21, 2003
S. Cali
Visit site
✟7,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
DailyBlessings with http://www.ccel.org AND

Danbarnaba with http://www.ultimasurf.net/bible

These are great sites. I am sorry that I was to busy to look thru these earlier. Actually someone let me borrow a book on Josephus’s works and I have been looking over some other online material.

Thanx one more time.

Hector ;)

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Treasurer said:
I
I was disappointed a little because Josephus just makes little note of Jesus. I was hoping for more since he was around during that time. Especially since he took the time to study under Pharasee, Saducee, Essenes doctrines and beliefs.

:confused: Isn't it interesting that he doesn't mention Paul at all. They both were hanging out in the Temple about the same time.

Upvote 0

Plan 9

Absolutely Elsewhere
Jul 7, 2002
Deck Six, Cargo Bay Two; apply to Annabel Lee to l
Visit site
✟20,357.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Steve Petersen said:
:confused: Isn't it interesting that he doesn't mention Paul at all. They both were hanging out in the Temple about the same time.

erm...this might be one of the many reasons why the passages which make Josephus so popular with Christians are thought by many scholars to be later additions, and not in the originals?

In general, Josephus should be read carefully and with some large grains of salt at hand, just as an any Roman historian should be read.

If anyone would like to know more, I believe can probably provide more information. :blush:

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Plan 9 said:
...In general, Josephus should be read carefully and with some large grains of salt at hand, just as an any Roman historian should be read...
Particularly Josephus, whose main concern was to curry favour with the Romans, who he had joined.

-- Radagast

Reactions: Plan 9
Upvote 0

Plan 9

Absolutely Elsewhere
Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
✟20,357.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Radagast said:
Particularly Josephus, whose main concern was to curry favour with the Romans, who he had joined.

-- Radagast

Well, yes, my understanding was that he had taken part in a failed rebellion against Rome, so I don't know how he managed to survive at all when Ovid, for instance, was exiled for very little, in comparison.
Even so, all the Roman historians were remarkably free from anything we might consider an unbiased point of view; they were all Rome's patrons, and that must be kept firmly in mind when reading them, and I agree that this is especially true of the writings of Josephus (and that's not including the disputed passages regarding Jesus and the apotles). If the Romans wished to believe a thing of the Jewish nation, Josephus could be counted upon to confirm it when possible.
Or so I have read. I've really just gotten started researching his life. Perhaps you can tell me more, Rad? :)

Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Plan 9

Absolutely Elsewhere
Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
✟20,357.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Radagast said:
All I know is from the introduction to his books. :)

-- Rad

Since he isn't a novelist, that's a great place to learn more about Josephus. ;)

Please feel free to continue, Rad... :)

Upvote 0

Plan 9

Absolutely Elsewhere
Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
✟20,357.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Radagast said:

hmmm... you got that joke. :D

Once my cousin loaned me an excellent novel to read, but it's a "modern classic", so the introduction was was so silly that I couldn't read it for a month because every time I picked up the book, I was reminded of the intro and burst out laughing.
Since I usually have to return most of my reading much sooner that my cousin expects, I now the read the introductions to "modern classics" afterward, and I guess we can all see just how long it takes me wander off-topic, can't we?

*ahem* If anyone would like me to do more research on Josephus, I'll be happy to oblige. :)

Upvote 0