LDS Joseph Smith's Claim of an Apostasy is a Lie

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
If you don't believe the Bible then you don't believe the Bible. Look it up for yourself.

Melchezedek is a shadow of Christ. To show what was to come.
I have looked it up in Hebrews 7 and I know exactly what you are trying to say. Jesus still fails 4 of the 5 conditions. So apparently, according to the 5 conditions, Melchisedec was not a shadow or type of Jesus. According to your bible interpretation Melchisedec seems to be more powerful than Jesus.
1) Jesus had a father, M did not.
2) Jesus had a mother, M did not.
3) Jesus had a descent, M did not.
4) Jesus has no beginning of days, so did M.
5) Jesus died on the cross, so he had an end of days, temporarily. According to you, M did not suffer death, even temporarily.

Beyond the conditions in the bible there are other differences between Jesus and M:
1) Jesus was not a king in this world. M was the king of Salem/Jerusalem.
2) Jesus was the Messiah and Savior of the world. M was not.

The shadow or type that I can see from the bible is that both Jesus and M were very righteous men, without beginning of days.

But if M is or is not a shadow/type of Jesus does not make any difference to the idea that they are the only 2 MP holders. The "order of M" is a bible definition of many MP holders, not just 2.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟345,735.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I have looked it up in Hebrews 7 and I know exactly what you are trying to say. Jesus still fails 4 of the 5 conditions. So apparently, according to the 5 conditions, Melchisedec was not a shadow or type of Jesus. According to your bible interpretation Melchisedec seems to be more powerful than Jesus.
1) Jesus had a father, M did not.
2) Jesus had a mother, M did not.
3) Jesus had a descent, M did not.
4) Jesus has no beginning of days, so did M.
5) Jesus died on the cross, so he had an end of days, temporarily. According to you, M did not suffer death, even temporarily.

Beyond the conditions in the bible there are other differences between Jesus and M:
1) Jesus was not a king in this world. M was the king of Salem/Jerusalem.
2) Jesus was the Messiah and Savior of the world. M was not.

The shadow or type that I can see from the bible is that both Jesus and M were very righteous men, without beginning of days.

But if M is or is not a shadow/type of Jesus does not make any difference to the idea that they are the only 2 MP holders. The "order of M" is a bible definition of many MP holders, not just 2.

Who was Jesus Father?

Jesus had a beginning of days as a human, but not as God. God is eternal. No beginning, no end. It is impossible for God not to exist.

Jesus did not have decent through HisFather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
You need to dig deeper into this. You are attaching your definition of "order" that is unfounded in the Biblical text.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G5010&t=NIV

τάξις
Transliteration
taxis
Pronunciation
tä'-ksēs τάσσω (G5021)
Dictionary Aids
Vine's Expository Dictionary: order (10x).
Outline of Biblical Usage G5021; regular arrangement, i.e. (in time) fixed succession (of rank or character), official dignity:—order.
  1. an arranging, arrangement

2. order
    1. a fixed succession observing a fixed time
    • due or right order, orderly condition
    • the post, rank, or position which one holds in civic or other affairs
    1. since this position generally depends on one's talents, experience, resources
character, fashion, quality, style

Hebrews 7:17 "For it is declared: “You are a priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek.”

1. It is clear in Hebrews 7 that Jesus is the Melchizedek High Priest. Only 1 can hold that distinction. And Jesus never gave that up. Forever means forever.

The commentary you are showing just happens to not be clear in a definition of an "order of priesthood". It does not give a definition that lends itself particularly to an "order of monks", or an "order in the Aaronic priesthood." The priests of the Aaronic priesthood were so many, they needed to be divided into "orders" and each "order" would take care of the temple at fixed times. Monks also are organized into "orders" to perform the necessary duties in their monastic homes. So write and tell your commentary they need to add another definition of "order", that clearly delineates a "group" of monks and priests.

You have no biblical evidence that "only 1 can hold that distinction". Forever means Jesus will indeed be a High Priest forever after the order of M, but there is nothing said that he would not ordain other MP holders on earth to help in the administration of his earthly church. In fact by definition Jesus must pass on his authority in order
for men to perform their duties to grow and govern the church, and there is biblical evidence that he did just that.
See:
Mark 3:4 and John 15:16 Jesus ordains/passes his authority to apostles.
Matthew 16:19 Jesus passes his keys of his kingdom of God on to Peter.
Acts 1:22 Apostles ordain/pass their authority to a new apostle.
Acts 14:23 Apostles ordain/pass their authority to elders in every church.

So the "order of the MP" is alive and well in the NT. Jesus was forever the High Priest of the MP, and what he ordains/passes to the apostles and what the apostles ordained/passed to other apostles, and what apostles ordained/passed to elders etc. was the same MP.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Who was Jesus Father?

Jesus had a beginning of days as a human, but not as God. God is eternal. No beginning, no end. It is impossible for God not to exist.

Jesus did not have decent through His Father

You say: Who was Jesus Father?

His Father and his God are the same Person (John 20:17). It is God the Father. Jesus is the only begotten Son of God the Father, right?

You say: Jesus had a beginning of days as a human, but not as God. God is eternal. No beginning, no end. It is impossible for God not to exist.

If you say so. That would mean he fails 5 of 5 conditions. And it also takes away another similarity to the biblical conditions of M.

You say: Jesus did not have decent through His Father.

Not that we know of, but he did have descent through his mortal mother. Not biblical M

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟345,735.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You say: Who was Jesus Father?

His Father and his God are the same Person (John 20:17). It is God the Father. Jesus is the only begotten Son of God the Father, right?

You say: Jesus had a beginning of days as a human, but not as God. God is eternal. No beginning, no end. It is impossible for God not to exist.

If you say so. That would mean he fails 5 of 5 conditions. And it also takes away another similarity to the biblical conditions of M.

You say: Jesus did not have decent through His Father.

Not that we know of, but he did have descent through his mortal mother. Not biblical M

Believe the Mormon hype. We are teaching you something. You use your own logic not God's, but I expect that much

Upvote 0

tickingclocker

Mar 11, 2016
US
✟22,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How is God not everything? To me He is the reson for our existence, our toys, our food, our family....everything.
If he wasn't, then my life would be very uncertain too, but I never came to a conclusion that God was not everthing.

Did you come to that conclusion that God was not everything? How?
How could God not protect His Word or His church, if He is God?

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟221,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The commentary you are showing just happens to not be clear in a definition of an "order of priesthood". It does not give a definition that lends itself particularly to an "order of monks", or an "order in the Aaronic priesthood." The priests of the Aaronic priesthood were so many, they needed to be divided into "orders" and each "order" would take care of the temple at fixed times. Monks also are organized into "orders" to perform the necessary duties in their monastic homes. So write and tell your commentary they need to add another definition of "order", that clearly delineates a "group" of monks and priests.

You have no biblical evidence that "only 1 can hold that distinction". Forever means Jesus will indeed be a High Priest forever after the order of M, but there is nothing said that he would not ordain other MP holders on earth to help in the administration of his earthly church. In fact by definition Jesus must pass on his authority in order
for men to perform their duties to grow and govern the church, and there is biblical evidence that he did just that.
See:
Mark 3:4 and John 15:16 Jesus ordains/passes his authority to apostles.
Matthew 16:19 Jesus passes his keys of his kingdom of God on to Peter.
Acts 1:22 Apostles ordain/pass their authority to a new apostle.
Acts 14:23 Apostles ordain/pass their authority to elders in every church.

So the "order of the MP" is alive and well in the NT. Jesus was forever the High Priest of the MP, and what he ordains/passes to the apostles and what the apostles ordained/passed to other apostles, and what apostles ordained/passed to elders etc. was the same MP.
You mistakenly confuse MP with the "passing on of authority" and try to argue from silence. Twisting Scripture is the only way to validate the lds belief system on this matter.

Upvote 0

tickingclocker

Mar 11, 2016
US
✟22,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
="Peter1000, post: 69841486, member: 382212"]You say: The LDS believed the plates were real until 1981, when they finally admitted they were a hoax.

What online document did you read that evidences this comment?

---"They": LDS historians, apologists, etc. There is no official LDS church statement. (There seldom to never is when it comes to this type of stuff... which is my opinion.)

---"Church historians continued to insist on the authenticity of the Kinderhook plates until 1980 when an examination conducted by the Chicago Historical Society, possessor of one plate, proved it was a nineteenth-century creation."
Rough Stone Rolling, Pro-LDS Historian Richard Bushman, p 490.

The Sept. 1962 issue of Improvement Era, the official LDS magazine held an article by Welby W. Ricks stating the plates were genuine. Why would they allow such a thing to be published if they didn't know if they were genuine? See also "Kinderhook Plates", by S. Kimball, Ensign, 8/1981, pg. 66-74, another official LDS publication. The Times and Seasons, yet another LDS publication, stated the plates authenticated the Book of Mormon further. If Mormons can freely quote from "official LDS publications" as authority? So can I. Can you answer why the LDS never said they were fakes in 130 years previously if they believed they were? Neither can I. I admit I know very little about them, and really don't have any interest in their existence, or what the LDS believes about them or not. But doesn't it bother you, like me (for about five minutes total), that there was absolute silence on the issue? You can argue from a "wisdom" perspective, sure, but I could argue just as easily from a "why not say so if you know the truth?" perspective just as easily.

You say: "It's clear from the evidence above that the Church leaders believed the Kinderhook Plates were real and that Joseph translated a portion of them.

Your evidence is your statement, you have provided no documentation for your statement.
1) document that scientists in 1981 said the plates were a hoax.
---- See above.
2) document that the LDS church in 1981 still believed they were real, just prior to the announcement of the scientists.
3) document that JS translated a portion of them.
----They are listed as being translated by JS in the official "History of the Church". You know this. Whether its Wm. Clayton, a man known for his accuracy, part of the Council of 50, and Smith's personal secretary's "hearsay" or not, the LDS did include them as being "partially translated" by Smith in their "official" history of the LDS. Pretty sloppy of them if you ask me why they didn't bother to do any "investigating" of their own before officializing the story.

If you can do that, then you would have at least a basis for making a statement like, "the evidence is clear".
---The evidence is clear to me there were some questionable practices going on here. The rush to "officialize" them works against your church. Will they "revise" the history of your church to correct the rush to prove JS a "prophet"? We have yet to see. Regardless, JS probably lied about them just as his faithful secretary recorded. As you know, Clayton died a popular, staunch Mormon in Salt Lake City, Utah, the husband of 9 wives and 42 children. He was never excommunicated like so many who embarrass the LDS with its history is brought to light have. Do you think he would be if he was alive today? Makes you wonder. History shows there's so much of this same tired stuff throughout LDS history. Too much for it all to be dismissed as "fables".

Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟345,735.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
="Peter1000, post: 69841486, member: 382212"]You say: The LDS believed the plates were real until 1981, when they finally admitted they were a hoax.

---"They": LDS historians, apologists, etc. There is no official LDS church statement. (There seldom to never is when it comes to this type of stuff... which is my opinion.)

---"Church historians continued to insist on the authenticity of the Kinderhook plates until 1980 when an examination conducted by the Chicago Historical Society, possessor of one plate, proved it was a nineteenth-century creation."

The Sept. 1962 issue of Improvement Era, the official LDS magazine held an article by Welby W. Ricks stating the plates were genuine. Why would they allow such a thing to be published if they didn't know if they were genuine? See also "Kinderhook Plates", by S. Kimball, Ensign, 8/1981, pg. 66-74, another official LDS publication. The Times and Seasons, yet another LDS publication, stated the plates authenticated the Book of Mormon further. If Mormons can freely quote from "official LDS publications" as authority? So can I. Can you answer why the LDS never said they were fakes in 130 years previously if they believed they were? Neither can I. I admit I know very little about them, and really don't have any interest in their existence, or what the LDS believes about them or not. But doesn't it bother you, like me (for about five minutes total), that there was absolute silence on the issue? You can argue from a "wisdom" perspective, sure, but I could argue just as easily from a "why not say so if you know the truth?" perspective just as easily.

You say: "It's clear from the evidence above that the Church leaders believed the Kinderhook Plates were real and that Joseph translated a portion of them.

Your evidence is your statement, you have provided no documentation for your statement.
---- See above.
2) document that the LDS church in 1981 still believed they were real, just prior to the announcement of the scientists.
----They are listed as being translated by JS in the official "History of the Church". You know this. Whether its Wm. Clayton, a man known for his accuracy, part of the Council of 50, and Smith's personal secretary's "hearsay" or not, the LDS did include them as being "partially translated" by Smith in their "official" history of the LDS. Pretty sloppy of them if you ask me why they didn't bother to do any "investigating" of their own before officializing the story.

If you can do that, then you would have at least a basis for making a statement like, "the evidence is clear".
---The evidence is clear to me there were some questionable practices going on here. The rush to "officialize" them works against your church. Will they "revise" the history of your church to correct the rush to prove JS a "prophet"? We have yet to see. Regardless, JS probably lied about them just as his faithful secretary recorded. As you know, Clayton died a popular, staunch Mormon in Salt Lake City, Utah, the husband of 9 wives and 42 children. He was never excommunicated like so many who embarrass the LDS with its history is brought to light have. Do you think he would be if he was alive today? Makes you wonder. History shows there's so much of this same tired stuff throughout LDS history. Too much for it all to be dismissed as "fables".
Excellent research.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟345,735.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Is snark all you have to offer?
You were confused and asked the thread what that means. I was just helping you. Sorry it is not the answer you hoped for, but truth is not always pleasant.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Believe the Mormon hype. We are teaching you something. You use your own logic not God's, but I expect that much

You are saying that the bible is not the Word of God? (John 20:17) You are saying that Jesus is not the only begotten Son of God?

You think I used Mormon hype to answer who the Father of Jesus is? You are mistaken. The bible is clear as to who Jesus's Father is. Why do we disagree?

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married

---- See above.

Did you read: http://www.fairmormon.org/wp-conten...esident-Joseph-Has-Translated-a-Portion-1.pdf?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟345,735.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You are saying that the bible is not the Word of God? (John 20:17) You are saying that Jesus is not the only begotten Son of God?

You think I used Mormon hype to answer who the Father of Jesus is? You are mistaken. The bible is clear as to who Jesus's Father is. Why do we disagree?
The problem is that you have not spiritual insight. Find the Holy Spirit. That is the only way to understand spiritual things.

Insight is needed.

Phoebe and I have been through this many times with you. If you do not listen, that is at your own peril.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Exactly!!---It was not a physical manifestation--as in the burning bush---in their minds!!! With my spiritual eyes I can envision heaven---in other words-----wishful thinking.
Read 2 Kings 6:14-17 and tell me this is wishful thinking?

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
The problem is that you have not spiritual insight. Find the Holy Spirit. That is the only way to understand spiritual things.

Insight is needed.

Phoebe and I have been through this many times with you. If you do not listen, that is at your own peril.
We are talking about, who is the Father of Jesus. Do you know who the Father of Jesus is?

I gave you scriptures from the bible to support my position that God the Father is Jesus's Father.

So the challenge is: who do you say is Jesus's father? Collaborate with Phoebe if you need to.

Upvote 0