✟380,460.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi There,

I notice Dr. Jordan Peterson is getting a lot of air time.

My concern is that he not only has some appeal among the intellectual elite but from many in the body of Christ also.

I am not convinced that he has moved on from his Jungian philosophical base which is subtly deceptive and dismisses the heart of the Gospel.

I would love to be corrected if anyone can give hard facts that he has a living faith in Christ.

A wealth of common sense and a sharp mind is admirable but when 1500 including many believers fly to London to hear him I feel uneasy.

My take is that he is unlikely to embrace the Gospel until he renounces the Jungian atheistic concept of "archetypes" in which God is merely a concept that man needs to believe.

Last edited:

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Nailed it, friend. I have been voicing the exact same concern for a time.

He is not a Christian and remains not a Christian until he affirms the resurrection of Christ. He has not done that as far as I am aware. IMO, his thinking is not just not Christian, it is actually the strongest worldview against Christianity at this time. That is my conviction. He is in love with his saviors Nietzsche and Jung. Those are his saviors, not Christ.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,460.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are many who favor Christian culture but do not hold to Christian doctrines. Peterson is one such person. "He who is not against us is for us" (Mark 9:40).

That scripture refers to a follower of Christ who was moving in the miraculous.

Jordan sadly does not qualify on either count.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,460.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jordan Peterson is on a journey. It will either lead to Christ or Satan. He seems to be on a path to Christ. I, for one, am more than willing to wait and see where it leads.

No problem with that - what I have a problem with is that in the mean time folks flock to him as if he is presenting some needed truth around what is truly spiritual - Believers included...

Reactions: RoBo1988
Upvote 0

Danny&Annie&theChristmas

Nov 11, 2023
Houston
✟2,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No problem with that - what I have a problem with is that in the mean time folks flock to him as if he is presenting some needed truth around what is truly spiritual - Believers included...
I watch his lectures on matters of psychology, but to me, it is obvious he is on a very early stage of a spiritual journey.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟245,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
That scripture refers to a follower of Christ who was moving in the miraculous.

Jordan sadly does not qualify on either count.
He "was not following us," and was therefore not a follower of Christ. This is precisely Peterson, who has done "mighty works" in Christ's name. Even the sheer number of young people who have turned from nihilism and suicide on account of Peterson is sufficient.

• Agree
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,460.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He "was not following us," and was therefore not a follower of Christ. This is precisely Peterson, who has done "mighty works" in Christ's name. Even the sheer number of young people who have turned from nihilism and suicide on account of Peterson is sufficient.

Really - You think Jordan has done 'mighty works' in Christ's name ????

Spare me day's...

That was a reference to casting out demons - Jordan is not in that league.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I was following Jordan Peterson more than 5 years ago. He's not a Christian. He may be a conservative, but he's about as far away from being a Christain as Trump is.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi There,

I notice Dr. Jordan Peterson is getting a lot of air time.

My concern is that he not only has some appeal among the intellectual elite but from many in the body of Christ also.

I am not convinced that he has moved on from his Jungian philosophical base which is subtly deceptive and dismisses the heart of the Gospel.

I would love to be corrected if anyone can give hard facts that he has a living faith in Christ.

A wealth of common sense and a sharp mind is admirable but when 1500 including many believers fly to London to hear him I feel uneasy.

My take is that he is unlikely to embrace the Gospel until he renounces the Jungian atheistic concept of "archetypes" in which God is merely a concept that man needs to believe.

Don't look at me. I don't follow Jordan Peterson and I've only heard all of about 20 minutes of podcast time from him. :dontcare:

Reactions: Ceallaigh
Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟245,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Really - You think Jordan has done 'mighty works' in Christ's name ????

Spare me day's...

That was a reference to casting out demons - Jordan is not in that league.
How is that an argument? "He isn't casting out demons so we should attack him." If he is doing good things in Christ's name, then what are you complaining about? Your problem is the same one the disciples had. Preventing suicide and moving people from atheism to agnosticism or agnosticism to theism are good things, even if they aren't the same as casting out a demon. (Note: Peterson does not claim faith or Christianity.)

He has common sense and a sharp mind, and this is admirable, but people shouldn't fly to hear him. Okay...? Do you realize these sorts of statements don't make a lick of sense?

Peterson's Jungianism is an obstacle to his embracing the Gospel. I would agree insofar as I think it is a minor obstacle. So what? Just because someone has an imperfection does not mean that people should not listen to them, or appreciate what they have to say, or fly to see them.

If you have any objection at all it seems to be that some Christians are overenthusiastic about Peterson, not that Peterson is a problem in himself.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

InChristAlone525

May 12, 2022
tropics
✟10,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Saving someone from suicide isn't necessarily going to save their soul. He was recently on Piers Morgan and was put on the spot to answer questions about his faith in God, he was very uncomfortable answering almost to the point of being upset with Piers for cornering him like that. If we cannot publicly state we have faith in the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and that Jesus Christ is our savior.... then we are bowing to the world and everyone here knows where that leads. I stopped watching him after that. I cannot allow his thoughts to become my thoughts. I also couldn't watch his Exodus series because it's not coming from the right place, it's coming at it intellectually. Your brain isn't going to save you from the lake of fire. Just knowing the stories of the Bible won't save you.

Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟245,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The problem here is Protestants who obstinately reject the idea that anything "good and praiseworthy" (Phil 4:8) can supervene on Christianity. So for example, if someone were to read the New Testament, fail to believe, and yet take away the idea that one should sacrifice and endure difficulties for the sake of God, such a Protestant would be prone only to complain that they did not believe. "But hasn't the lesson they've learned been beneficial and important, a step in the right direction?" "No! If they didn't believe then it's just bad."

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
He gets people talking and that's a good thing in my opinion. The danger lies in accepting his opinions as infallible or taking his word as gospel. Something that he has never claimed to do as far as I'm aware. We should draw own conclusions with God's wisdom and discernment.

The same applies when dealing with other public intellectuals. They might be compelling speakers or writers, and make good points from time to time, but that doesn't mean we must agree with them on all points.

Upvote 0