John Kerry cries foul as Russia sells missiles to Iran ... as allowed by nuke deal

Aug 29, 2005
✟184,652.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Noting that you have not made your case that these Russian missiles have not already been sold to Iran ... as reported by multiple sources.

Neither article claims there millles have been sold..

Yet the OP makes it appear that it was a done deal.

Moscow over a plan to sell anti-aircraft missiles to Iran.

The signing of a decree by President Vladimir Putin means that it can resume a self-imposed ban

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Noting that you have not made your case that these Russian missiles have not already been sold to Iran ... as reported by multiple sources.

Really. The articles are not that hard to understand. From the CNBC article and the section concerning the US administrations typical mealy-mouthed response:

The U.S. immediately made Moscow aware of its concerns over the sale of the S-300 system.

Secretary of State John Kerry spoke via telephone with Lavrov Monday and said that it wasn't "constructive" at this time for Russia to make such a deal, according to Marie Harf, a spokesperson for the U.S. Department of State.

"We don't think this will have an impact on unity in terms of inside the negotiating room," she told reporters at a press briefing.

I am sure the Russians are quivering in their boots and truly reconsidering their actions in response to Kerry's "this is not constructive!" comment, made of course with the sounds of "You Got a Friend" wafting in the background.

What is going on here should be obvious. Putin is once again illustrating to the world how weak and easily manipulated the Obama administration is. The sale of this weapons system will in part unravel the P5+1 process because it will serve to force Israels hand. Israel has previously launched airstrikes into Syria in order to prevent weapons systems from becoming operational. This sale sets up another situation placing Israel between their security and the desires of the Obama administration, forcing the administration to chose which side to back if Israel decides to strike. Of course Putin, along with everyone else with half a brain, already knows which side Obama will back. For any still unsure the answer is not Israel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
6 hours south of the Golden Dome of the University
✟517,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Kerry Raises Objections With Moscow Over Iran Missile Sale - ABC News

The call came as Lavrov argued that a preliminary agreement over Iran's nuclear program made a 2010 ban on sending missiles to Iran no longer necessary.
What a surprise. :doh:

It appears Russia has had the authority to commence with the sale of the S-300 missiles since the inception of the deal in 2007. The sanctions imposed upon Iran do not preclude the sale of the S-300 missiles to Iran.

Russia originally signed the missile contract with Iran, worth $800 million, in 2007.

He insisted that the sale does not fall within the purview of existing U.N. sanctions, and U.S. officials have acknowledged as much.

Russia lifts block on missile system shipment to Iran - The Washington Post

Russia relented and in 2010, then-President Dmitry Medvedev issued a decree prohibiting the delivery. The order brought Russia in line with U.N. Security Council sanctions passed that year, which established a broader arms embargo on Iran but didn’t ban the delivery of ground-to-air missiles.

Iranian Official Expects Delivery of Russian S-300 Missile System This Year - WSJ

So, let's dispense with the incorrect notion the nuclear deal agreed upon by Iran and the 5 plus 1 member nations authorized the sell and transfer of these S-300 missiles. The nuclear deal cannot logically authorize that which was already authorized and the authority to sell and transfer the S-300 missiles preceded the nuclear deal.

Russia commencing the sale of the S-300 missiles, ostensibly because the nuclear deal authorized the sale of the S-300 missile system, isn't accurate as Russia apparently had the authority to make the sale and transfer of these missiles at anytime preceding the nuclear deal.

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
6 hours south of the Golden Dome of the University
✟517,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, I am just shocked that something like this could happen. We were assured that this agreement would insure that it would prevent war.

Sheesh. :doh:

What a fiasco.

I can hear John Kerry now....

"But... *sniff*... you guys aren't playing fair... *pout* c'mon Vladimir, you know the rules...."

"Yes, comrade Kerry, we do understand your rules..." says Putin. "That is why we are sending the missiles."

Apparently, you aren't aware of the fact Russia had the authority to sell and transfer these missiles prior to the nuclear deal reached in early April between Iran and the 5 plus 1 countries. The nuclear deal does not grant or cede any authority to sell and transfer these S-300 missiles which did not already exist. The authority for Russia to make this deal with Iran preceded the nuclear deal.

Upvote 0

Creech

Senior Veteran
Apr 7, 2012
New York
✟15,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Oh Yay! A Cuban Missile Crisis in the Middle East with a theocratic state sponsor of terrorism and a nuclear armed Russian autocrat with an expansionist agenda. As if I didn't have enough to keep me up at night.

Seriously does anyone think this is a good thing?

Your post HEAVILY misrepresents the situation.

As a conservative and a traditionalist, I can only applaud Putin for what he is doing in the world and in Russia. The far-left sure love to demonize Putin precisely because he wishes to bring order and peace to the world and enforce traditional values and a explicitly Christian civilization within his country.

Upvote 0

JohnLocke

Sep 23, 2006
✟16,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Libertarian
Your post HEAVILY misrepresents the situation.

As a conservative and a traditionalist, I can only applaud Putin for what he is doing in the world and in Russia. The far-left sure love to demonize Putin precisely because he wishes to bring order and peace to the world and enforce traditional values and a explicitly Christian civilization within his country.

In what way exactly?

In both the Cuban Missile Crisis and the current shipment of S-300 missiles to Iran, Russia was providing military technology based on missiles that caused significant concern by the U.S. and its allies.

The S-300 Missiles would make military intervention in Iran more difficult and costly, particularly for our ally Israel who may not have access to things like Stealth bombers. Consequently, Israel and/or the United States or others may decide that it would be better to "start the inevitable war" under the current conditions rather than wait for the missiles to arrive.

And as an aside, where do assassination and jailing journalists and artist fit into this "Christian civilization in his own country?"

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟279,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Why should the Russians want to see more US troops along their southern border?

What would you expect them to do?

JohnLocke said:
And as an aside, where do assassination and jailing journalists and artist fit into this "Christian civilization in his own country?"

Assassinations happen in the US too, and the US has a very high prison population.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I believe Creech was employing sarcasm.

Upvote 0

Creech

Senior Veteran
Apr 7, 2012
New York
✟15,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single

It certainly doesn't and it should certainly be condemned, but that does not change the overall path Russia is on compared to the U.S and there is still doubt concerning Putin's responsibility.

I believe Creech was employing sarcasm.

No, I was being literal. :sorry:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Barack Obama commented directly on the missile sale Friday.

‘This Is the New America’: Israeli Reporter Says ‘Jaws Dropped’ in Studio After Obama?s Russia Comment | TheBlaze.com
“I will tell you this is actually a sale that was slated to happen in 2009,” Obama said at a White House news conference Friday with Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi. “When I first met with then-Prime Minister Putin, they actually stopped the sale, paused or suspended the sale at our request. And I’m, frankly, surprised that it held this long, given that they were not prohibited by sanctions from selling these defensive weapons.”

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟184,652.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
It is great to know what the President thinks.

What we know is the sale did not happen in 2009, and it still has not happened.

The deal has nothing to do with the nuke deal because it was always allowed.

What is the point of this thread? If it was to attack the nuke deal, the attack never had any teeth.

Reactions: NotreDame
Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
The S-300 Missiles would make military intervention in Iran more difficult and costly, particularly for our ally Israel who may not have access to things like Stealth bombers. Consequently, Israel and/or the United States or others may decide that it would be better to "start the inevitable war" under the current conditions rather than wait for the missiles to arrive."

At least you realize that S-300 missiles are anti-aircraft missiles. Good for defense, not offense.
So we want to deprive Iran of the ability to defend itself from military intervention on what basis of international law?

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Israel has previously launched airstrikes into Syria in order to prevent weapons systems from becoming operational. This sale sets up another situation placing Israel between their security and the desires of the Obama administration, forcing the administration to chose which side to back if Israel decides to strike.

So Israel will attack Iran for buying an anti-aircraft system that will stop Israeli aircraft from attacking Iran. I wonder why Iran would think it needs such a thing?

Of course Putin, along with everyone else with half a brain, already knows which side Obama will back. For any still unsure the answer is not Israel.

Is there some reason we should support acts of aggression?

Upvote 0