Joe Biden proposals for banning some firearms, high capacity magazines, immunity changes

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I don't like the idea of holding manufacturers liable for the illegal use of their products.

Totally agree with this. If something is legal to make and sell, then making the manufacturers responsible for irresponsible or illegal usage of their product is a nonsense.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟304,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Statement by the President Three Years After the Parkland Shooting | The White House

This Administration will not wait for the next mass shooting to heed that call. We will take action to end our epidemic of gun violence and make our schools and communities safer. Today, I am calling on Congress to enact commonsense gun law reforms, including requiring background checks on all gun sales, banning assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, and eliminating immunity for gun manufacturers who knowingly put weapons of war on our streets. We owe it to all those we’ve lost and to all those left behind to grieve to make a change. The time to act is now.
I just got through watching a recent video by Colion Noir in regards to Biden's statement.

Reactions: 98cwitr
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Statement by the President Three Years After the Parkland Shooting | The White House

This Administration will not wait for the next mass shooting to heed that call. We will take action to end our epidemic of gun violence and make our schools and communities safer. Today, I am calling on Congress to enact commonsense gun law reforms, including requiring background checks on all gun sales, banning assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, and eliminating immunity for gun manufacturers who knowingly put weapons of war on our streets. We owe it to all those we’ve lost and to all those left behind to grieve to make a change. The time to act is now.

We, the American People, need to refuse this; completely and outright. Enough.

Ditch the NRA, get with GOA, SAF, and your state's 2A group. Push.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
We, the American People, need to refuse this; completely and outright.

No thanks. It has some decent points and some that need to be modified, nothing that would make me outright reject it.

Am I kicked out of the We The People now?

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
No thanks. It has some decent points and some that need to be modified, nothing that would make me outright reject it.

Am I kicked out of the We The People now?

Supporting other's Constitutional and inalienable right to keep and bear arms should not be up for debate; sadly it is....we've allowed the appeals to emotion get the better of us.

• Agree
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Supporting other's Constitutional and inalienable right to keep and bear arms should not be up for debate;

All parts of the constitution can be up for debate, it's a document written in ink not holy writ carved in stone.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
All parts of the constitution can be up for debate, it's a document written in ink not holy writ carved in stone.

Thus the term "inalienable," due to the lack of faith in the Source of those rights, is eroded and dare I say nullified.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thus the term "inalienable," due to the lack of faith in the Source of those rights, is eroded and dare I say nullified.
Any thing within the Constitution is up to be changed. The amendment process does not leave things such as the second amendment sectioned off as untouchable.

• Agree
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Any thing within the Constitution is up to be changed. The amendment process does not leave things such as the second amendment sectioned off as untouchable.

The Truths that produced it, enumerated, don't change though.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,503.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Inalienable rights isn't even in the Constitution. That's the Declaration, and in there they are listed as "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." You can believe that the right to bear arms is part of the liberty interest, but there is nothing inherently saying that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yet if it was the intent that the rights included in the original set of amendments were to be never, ever altered it would have made sense to make note of that some place in the document.

This is the problem with the veneration of the Constitution, it derails practical discussion of good governance with mysticism.

Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟875,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I don't see any serious effort or proposals to alter the second amendment. But measures such as holding manufacturers liable for illegal use of a product is something with the potential to remove arms without an amendment. And I don't think it will be upheld by the courts.

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟97,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't see any serious effort or proposals to alter the second amendment. But measures such as holding manufacturers liable for illegal use of a product is something with the potential to remove arms without an amendment. And I don't think it will be upheld by the courts.

It seems to me, if gun manufacturers faced a financial or legal disadvantage to guns being used illegally, then they'd be more likely to find some way to make that more difficult. I don't know how, exactly, maybe a fingerprint scanner like some cell phones have, making it only possible for the registered owner to operate them, something like that (not a gun guy, if that isn't obvious).

But if guns being used illegally is financially advantageous for gun manufacturers (more guns stolen means even more guns are bought to replace them, cha-ching!), then there's no incentive to even try to make it harder to use guns illegally.

-- A2SG, I realize my example above is probably wildly impractical, if not impossible...so please refrain from explaining exactly why......as I said, not a gun guy.....

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,716.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Those rights came from man, not God. Unless you have some weird Bible translation I’ve never heard of before.

Reactions: Skewpoint
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,973.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

in·al·ien·a·ble
/inˈālēənəb(ə)l/

Learn to pronounce

adjective
adjective: inalienable
unable to be taken away from or given away by the possessor.

If it is inalienable it quit literally can not be nullified or eroded.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,973.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Supporting other's Constitutional and inalienable right to keep and bear arms should not be up for debate; sadly it is....we've allowed the appeals to emotion get the better of us.

You are not the arbiter or what is constitutional. There are plenty of these proposals that fit in fine with the constitution.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
in·al·ien·a·ble
/inˈālēənəb(ə)l/

Learn to pronounce

adjective
adjective: inalienable
unable to be taken away from or given away by the possessor.

If it is inalienable it quit literally can not be nullified or eroded.

And what is the source, or who is the grantor, of these rights; according to the Declaration of Independence?

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You are not the arbiter or what is constitutional. There are plenty of these proposals that fit in fine with the constitution.

If you are able to judge what "fits fine" then so am I. That's part of the American ideal: the people's ability to dictate the terms of government.

Do you agree or disagree that the intent of the founder's placing the 2nd amendment in the bill of rights was primarily for the sake of opposing (or deterring) a tyrannical government?

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,973.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
It seems to me, if gun manufacturers faced a financial or legal disadvantage to guns being used illegally, then they'd be more likely to find some way to make that more difficult. I don't know how, exactly, maybe a fingerprint scanner like some cell phones have, making it only possible for the registered owner to operate them, something like that (not a gun guy, if that isn't obvious).

But if guns being used illegally is financially advantageous for gun manufacturers (more guns stolen means even more guns are bought to replace them, cha-ching!), then there's no incentive to even try to make it harder to use guns illegally.

-- A2SG, I realize my example above is probably wildly impractical, if not impossible...so please refrain from explaining exactly why......as I said, not a gun guy.....

This seems a particularly poor method of achieving the stated goal. If the desire is to have bio-locks (which are a thing) or other safety features simply mandate those as part of manufacture the same as we do safety features on cars.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,973.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
If you are able to judge what "fits fine" then so am I. That's part of the American ideal: the people's ability to dictate the terms of government.

Do you agree or disagree that the intent of the founder's placing the 2nd amendment in the bill of rights was primarily for the sake of opposing (or deterring) a tyrannical government?

No, we have actual legal precedents that show your claims to be incorrect. It is not I whom am judging it constitutional, it is actual judges ruling on the constitutionality of the measures.

Upvote 0