Washington
✟220,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You do realize that actual menus were decided by local school boards right? And that the new nutritional standards were set by Congress? Yes, Michelle Obama might have spearhead it as part of her anti-obesity campaign, but it's not like she dictated by fiat what the kids were actually getting served.
You do realize that school districts had no choice but to implement Obama's "recommendations", right? At least in our state and in our district. The menus had to meet certain "guidelines" of nutrition. This increased the districts costs and decreased the volume of lunches being bought while increasing the amount of wasted food. Which, by the way, increased waste removal costs for the district.

But I hope your snarky comments made you feel better.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,680.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
You do realize that school districts had no choice but to implement Obama's "recommendations", right? At least in our state and in our district. The menus had to meet certain "guidelines" of nutrition. This increased the districts costs and decreased the volume of lunches being bought while increasing the amount of wasted food. Which, by the way, increased waste removal costs for the district.

But I hope your snarky comments made you feel better.
Yes, they had to meet certain nutritional guidelines. But they had final choice on how to implement them, and believe it or not, it's possible to make food that's both healthy and tasty. The food being nasty has more to do with poor preparation then the nutritional guidelines.

• Agree
Reactions: comana
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Here we go with the guns again.

Its always "if X gets into office yer gonna lose yer guns!" How many times can people fall for that?
Every time.

I imagine gun store owners love having a Democrat in office.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you pump kids full of sugar and artificial flavourings from a young age, then healthy food is going to be a hard sell no matter who is cooking it. It takes a dedicated campaign to wean them off the trash, and that requires commitment from everyone involved. Instead the right used it as a cheap hit job on the Obamas and their kids are the ones who end up paying for that.

Wouldn't it be better to not pump kids full of sugar( more likely high fructose corn syrup) and artificial flavorings and excessive amounts of salt and vegetable fats. That only requires dedicated parenting from responsible adults unwilling to give the raising of their children over to the government.

• Agree
Reactions: BigDaddy4
Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, they had to meet certain nutritional guidelines. But they had final choice on how to implement them, and believe it or not, it's possible to make food that's both healthy and tasty. The food being nasty has more to do with poor preparation then the nutritional guidelines.
Your perspective was and is not reality in our district. More like wishful thinking. Other districts may differ, though.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Wouldn't it be better to not pump kids full of sugar( more likely high fructose corn syrup) and artificial flavorings and excessive amounts of salt and vegetable fats. That only requires dedicated parenting from responsible adults unwilling to give the raising of their children over to the government.

Absolutely, yet reality shows us that we can't rely on parents to provide that responsible parenting. Otherwise America wouldn't have a childhood obesity crisis.

• Agree
Reactions: comana
Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How dare Biden not use his magical powers to create a cure for cancer in the six months he's been in office!
Nobody is saying he should have found a cure by now. I am only giving him until the end of his first term before to earn my vote by finding a cure. I would expect he would have at least taken some steps by now considering his son died of cancer. As of now, I cannot help but believe that he was merely making an empty promise (one of many) for the sole purpose of getting elected. This is why I lothe politicians. They think we are stupid. What upsets me the most is that people are proving them right.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do you think that Biden's in charge of the entire healthcare system ?
Who is in charge of the department of health and human services and who does the surgeon General answer to?

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd rather see Michelle Obama come to our school and actually eat the food on a daily basis we are allowed to serve based on her initiative.
I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

• Haha
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You do realize that actual menus were decided by local school boards right? And that the new nutritional standards were set by Congress? Yes, Michelle Obama might have spearhead it as part of her anti-obesity campaign, but it's not like she dictated by fiat what the kids were actually getting served.
Sounds like a scapegoat excuse.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Absolutely, yet reality shows us that we can't rely on parents to provide that responsible parenting. Otherwise America wouldn't have a childhood obesity crisis.

Who would you suggest replace parents? And why must every problem be called a crisis?

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Who would you suggest replace parents? And why must every problem be called a crisis?
I'd call a generation of kids likely to die younger than their parents a crisis. You don't need to replace parents, you need to educate parents and provide support for kids whose parents are failing them. Then again I don't believe a parents 'rights' are more important than a kids health.

• Winner
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then again I don't believe a parents 'rights' are more important than a kids health.
Yes...strip the parents from their rights and have the government take over the parenting responsibility. That is what the left has been wanting all along. Uncle Sam knows best.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Who is in charge of the department of health and human services and who does the surgeon General answer to?
Those individuals do not direct the American Health care industry. They regulate it and set some requirements for it, but the American health care industry is an American business sector ...

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No ... !!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Biden had a son who died of cancer. He's optimistic about making a difference in the war against cancer.

...and my Dad died of stage 4 cancer two months ago.

I wouldn't be naive enough (if I were running for office) to say something like "we're gonna cure cancer". Nor would I think that I'm so special, that I'm going to be able to influence some magical progress against a disease that's had top scientists befuddled for decades.

Look, I don't think Joe is a bad guy (he's not my favorite guy)... but I voted for him (because the other guy was terrible)

But saying "we're gonna cure cancer" is irresponsible. If the top medical minds haven't found a "cure all" yet, despite the large amount of effort focused on it, claiming "we're going to cure it" is setting a lot of people up for disappointment if they take his statements literally.

Especially with something as broad as cancer... there are different forms, and different things that cause it. Even if you found a surefire cure for breast cancer tomorrow, there's still numerous other forms (caused by different things) that would need to be addressed.

Poor wording on his part.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would expect he would have at least taken some steps by now considering his son died of cancer. As of now, I cannot help but believe that he was merely making an empty promise (one of many) for the sole purpose of getting elected.
From https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-biden-cancer/biden-says-world-on-cusp-of-some-real-breakthro https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biote...m-but-can-it-workughs-on-cancer-idUSKCN2AV2O2

"During the Obama administration, Biden oversaw Cancer Moonshot, an initiative aimed at speeding development of cancer treatments. Over $1 billion has been invested in the initiative to date, supporting over 240 research projects and 70 cancer science initiatives, according to the National Cancer Institute."

From ... Biden still pushing for his cancer 'breakthrough' dream, but can it work?

"So, Biden is: This week, he met with a bipartisan group of lawmakers at the White House to build on his long-running theme: speeding cancer research. He added the world was nearing some “real breakthroughs.”

“We can make significant strides fighting cancer and Alzheimer’s and other diseases,” he said. “I think we’re on the cusp of some real breakthroughs across the board on cancer.”

There are breakthroughs: Recent statistics from the American Cancer Society show that just before the pandemic started, the U.S. saw the single largest drop—2.4%—in the rate of cancer deaths on record."

• Informative
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...and my Dad died of stage 4 cancer two months ago.

I wouldn't be naive enough (if I were running for office) to say something like "we're gonna cure cancer". Nor would I think that I'm so special, that I'm going to be able to influence some magical progress against a disease that's had top scientists befuddled for decades.

Look, I don't think Joe is a bad guy (he's not my favorite guy)... but I voted for him (because the other guy was terrible)

But saying "we're gonna cure cancer" is irresponsible. If the top medical minds haven't found a "cure all" yet, despite the large amount of effort focused on it, claiming "we're going to cure it" is setting a lot of people up for disappointment if they take his statements literally.

Especially with something as broad as cancer... there are different forms, and different things that cause it. Even if you found a surefire cure for breast cancer tomorrow, there's still numerous other forms (caused by different things) that would need to be addressed.

Poor wording on his part.
I'd say that was more of an aspirational goal.

Noone expects Joe Biden to cure cancer ... and he didn't didn't say that he would, but that "we would". And he is spearheading funding and sponsorship of cancer fighting research.

That, certainly, is more responsible that stating that, someday, cancer will just fade away ....

• Agree
Upvote 0