Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What factual data can you provide to show that those new jobs are coming from McD's versus IBM? I would be very interested in seeing this....
The sectors showing the largest growth as a proportion of the whole have been service and temping, if memory serves. Now maybe that had just been the case for previous quarters - I don't know about the last two quarters. Presumably, though, this is why the admin had wanted to reclassify McD's jobs as manufacturing - so manufacturing would at least look like it was doing better.

What did the guy in Bush's cabinet say? Something insane like 'Well, putting together a patty with two buns is making something that wasn't there before, so it really is manufacturing." Quality stuff.

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
jameseb said:
But that still has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the statistics that I've provided, courtesy of the Labor Department, that reflect given values that were measured equally against all US administrations since records were kept. :)

Again, the facts on the unemployment rate:

May, 2004 ~ 5.6%

May, 1996 (Clinton's 2nd reelection bid) ~ 5.6%

Ohh I whole heartly disagree that how they gather the numbers has nothing to do with what you posted.

James come on you are an intelligent fellow how could you even make sucha claim.

Yes I know that measurement is used with all admins, I never said anything about Clinton nor did I say that the numebrs were wrong or off. But people do need to know HOW those numbers are gathered.

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
burrow_owl said:
What did the guy in Bush's cabinet say? Something insane like 'Well, putting together a patty with two buns is making something that wasn't there before, so it really is manufacturing." Quality stuff.

:D That is almost as good as Ketchup is a vegtable ;)

Upvote 0

2001MustangGT

FORD lover
May 27, 2004
reality
✟3,614.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
jameseb said:
In the spirit of neo-liberal challenges on addressing negative issues regarding Bush and Reagan, why aren't any Bush-bashers addressing this topic? ;)
I will be glad to address this, although its only coming from my personal opinion.

Im not gonna bash Bush on this because there is nothing to bash. When the economy was picking up but no jobs were being generated, i thought to myself "Well the President can help pick up the economy but how can he possibly force companies to hire people?"

Besides, I think most liberals and democrats have bigger issues with his worldwide actions and social policies than his economic policies.

Personally I dont think I ever criticized his economic or job generating tactics. My problems with him involve social and intenational and environmental issues.

Upvote 0

JPPT1974

May 2024 Spring Fever!
Mar 18, 2004
Small Town, USA
✟570,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
What really worries people is that the rich keep getting richer and the poor keep getting poorer. Which ain't good at all. And we need those jobs quick and badly. If we don't get those jobs and lose them to the south of the border, then people will die not just of starvation but also of people ignorant and/or arrogance of the rich.

Upvote 0

Lillithspeak

The Umbrella
Aug 26, 2003
Vermont
✟9,786.00
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Leaving out the fact the DET (Dept of Employment & Training) forces people (or they lose their benefits) to accept jobs of lesser pay based on the amount of time they've been unemployed, you still have to take into consideration that many people are dropping out of the middle class into poverty due to job losses overseas in many cases. For example, here in VT IBM six months ago let 2,800 people go and sent those jobs to India. They paid an average of $15.00 to $25.00 an hour. Those IBM people who are now working, are making $8 to $10.00 an hour. Sure they're employed, at wages that will keep them in poverty. The average rent around here is $900.00 a month not including utilities. If you get 40 hours a week at ten bucks an hour, you aren't able to pay the rent and live. If you own a home, you're likely going to lose it to foreclosure. If you have a new car, that''s probably gone too. And of course, there are no benefits like insurance, retirement, or 401k. Thats the reality of the job situation all over the place. Sure, people are going back to work, for 20 hrs a week at miserable wages. The majority of highpaying jobs are gone. They ran one ad for a training program for medical transcriptionists, they'd be in training, for no wages for 14 months, at the end of the training, if they were chosen, they were going to make $15.00 an hour for forty hours a week and full benefits at a major hospital in central vermont. Guess how many people applied to that one time ad? 5,000, yep, 5,000. Know how many positions they were training for? 20, yep 20. One of my clients was accepted, so we celebrated, 4,980, they weren't accepted. That's how bad the job market it is here.

Upvote 0

Doctrine1st

Official nitwit
Oct 11, 2002
Seattle
Visit site
✟12,523.00
Faith
Politics
US-Others
Lillithspeak said:
Leaving out the fact the DET (Dept of Employment & Training) forces people (or they lose their benefits) to accept jobs of lesser pay based on the amount of time they've been unemployed, you still have to take into consideration that many people are dropping out of the middle class into poverty due to job losses overseas in many cases. For example, here in VT IBM six months ago let 2,800 people go and sent those jobs to India. They paid an average of $15.00 to $25.00 an hour. Those IBM people who are now working, are making $8 to $10.00 an hour. Sure they're employed, at wages that will keep them in poverty. The average rent around here is $900.00 a month not including utilities. If you get 40 hours a week at ten bucks an hour, you aren't able to pay the rent and live. If you own a home, you're likely going to lose it to foreclosure. If you have a new car, that''s probably gone too. And of course, there are no benefits like insurance, retirement, or 401k. Thats the reality of the job situation all over the place. Sure, people are going back to work, for 20 hrs a week at miserable wages. The majority of highpaying jobs are gone. They ran one ad for a training program for medical transcriptionists, they'd be in training, for no wages for 14 months, at the end of the training, if they were chosen, they were going to make $15.00 an hour for forty hours a week and full benefits at a major hospital in central vermont. Guess how many people applied to that one time ad? 5,000, yep, 5,000. Know how many positions they were training for? 20, yep 20. One of my clients was accepted, so we celebrated, 4,980, they weren't accepted. That's how bad the job market it is here.
Bingo. I mentioned this once before, and the response I got was, "it's still a job."

Upvote 0