Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Jamie Dimon warns ‘all these very powerful forces’ will impact U.S. economy in 2024 and 2025​

KEY POINTS
  • JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon said he remains cautious on the U.S. economy over the next two years because of a combination of financial and geopolitical risks.
  • “You have all these very powerful forces that are going to be affecting us in ’24 and ’25,” Dimon told Andrew Ross Sorkin on Wednesday in a CNBC interview at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.
  • Goldman Sachs CEO David Solomon added that he was concerned about soaring U.S. debt levels.
In this article

Jamie Dimon warns ‘all these very powerful forces’ will affect U.S. economy in 2024 and 2025

JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon said he remains cautious on the U.S. economy over the next two years because of a combination of financial and geopolitical risks.
“You have all these very powerful forces that are going to be affecting us in ’24 and ’25,” Dimon told Andrew Ross Sorkin on Wednesday in a CNBC interview at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.

“Ukraine, the terrorist activity in Israel [and] the Red Sea, quantitative tightening, which I still question if we understand exactly how that works,” Dimon said. Quantitative tightening refers to moves by the Federal Reserve to reduce its balance sheet and rein in previous efforts including bond-purchasing programs.
Dimon has advocated caution over the past few years, despite record profits at JPMorgan, the nation’s largest bank, and a U.S. economy that has defied expectations. Despite the corrosive impact of inflation, the American consumer has mostly remained healthy because of good employment levels and pandemic-era savings.
In Dimon’s view, the relatively buoyant stock market of recent months has lulled investors on the potential risks ahead. The S&P 500 market index rose 19% in the past year and isn’t far from peak levels.
“I think it’s a mistake to assume that everything’s hunky-dory,” Dimon said. “When stock markets are up, it’s kind of like this little drug we all feel like it’s just great. But remember, we’ve had so much fiscal monetary stimulation, so I’m a little more on the cautious side.”

Goldman Sachs CEO David Solomon said Wednesday that while the market environment excluding geopolitical issues “feels better today” than a year ago, he was troubled by soaring U.S. debt levels.

“I’m very concerned about the growing debt,” Solomon said. “It’s a big risk issue that we’re going to have to deal with and reckon with, it just might not happen in the next six months.”
Dimon is no stranger to dire predictions: In 2022, he warned investors of an economic “hurricane” ahead because of quantitative tightening and the Ukraine conflict.

Last edited:

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Trump had a hand in this economic mess. If you look at economics it's a process and usually isn't the cause of the sitting President.
America's national economy was in decent shape before the pandemic. The majority of economic indicators before 2020 were really pretty good, if not better than good. Then, from 2020 until the present day, the federal government increased the USA National Debt at a higher rate not seen,... for the most part..., until those years.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

Jamie Dimon warns ‘all these very powerful forces’ will impact U.S. economy in 2024 and 2025​

KEY POINTS
  • JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon said he remains cautious on the U.S. economy over the next two years because of a combination of financial and geopolitical risks.
  • “You have all these very powerful forces that are going to be affecting us in ’24 and ’25,” Dimon told Andrew Ross Sorkin on Wednesday in a CNBC interview at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.
  • Goldman Sachs CEO David Solomon added that he was concerned about soaring U.S. debt levels.
In this article

Jamie Dimon warns ‘all these very powerful forces’ will affect U.S. economy in 2024 and 2025

JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon said he remains cautious on the U.S. economy over the next two years because of a combination of financial and geopolitical risks.
“You have all these very powerful forces that are going to be affecting us in ’24 and ’25,” Dimon told Andrew Ross Sorkin on Wednesday in a CNBC interview at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.

“Ukraine, the terrorist activity in Israel [and] the Red Sea, quantitative tightening, which I still question if we understand exactly how that works,” Dimon said. Quantitative tightening refers to moves by the Federal Reserve to reduce its balance sheet and rein in previous efforts including bond-purchasing programs.
Dimon has advocated caution over the past few years, despite record profits at JPMorgan, the nation’s largest bank, and a U.S. economy that has defied expectations. Despite the corrosive impact of inflation, the American consumer has mostly remained healthy because of good employment levels and pandemic-era savings.
In Dimon’s view, the relatively buoyant stock market of recent months has lulled investors on the potential risks ahead. The S&P 500 market index rose 19% in the past year and isn’t far from peak levels.
“I think it’s a mistake to assume that everything’s hunky-dory,” Dimon said. “When stock markets are up, it’s kind of like this little drug we all feel like it’s just great. But remember, we’ve had so much fiscal monetary stimulation, so I’m a little more on the cautious side.”

Goldman Sachs CEO David Solomon said Wednesday that while the market environment excluding geopolitical issues “feels better today” than a year ago, he was troubled by soaring U.S. debt levels.

“I’m very concerned about the growing debt,” Solomon said. “It’s a big risk issue that we’re going to have to deal with and reckon with, it just might not happen in the next six months.”
Dimon is no stranger to dire predictions: In 2022, he warned investors of an economic “hurricane” ahead because of quantitative tightening and the Ukraine conflict.
Big business CEOs are the baddies here. Their sole purpose to to make themselves richer. Listening to them is why America is such a capitalist hellscape.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Trump had a hand in this economic mess. If you look at economics it's a process and usually isn't the cause of the sitting President.

Well yeah, Trump allowed the left to shut down the country and cut us all checks to stay home...

He should never have tried to appease the left .. it was a horrible economic decision for the country.

:)

That's where Trump went wrong.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
America's national economy was in decent shape before the pandemic. The majority of economic indicators before 2020 were really pretty good, if not better than good. Then, from 2020 until the present day, the federal government increased the USA National Debt at a higher rate not seen,... for the most part..., until those years.

To be fair, the increase in the National Debt started before the pandemic. Obama's last few years, the size of the deficit had been cut to roughly $500 billion/year -- high but back to roughly the pre-recession levels. Trump had increased the deficit to roughly $1 trillion by 2019, in a good economy, so that it really exploded in 2020 with the pandemic.

Well yeah, Trump allowed the left to shut down the country and cut us all checks to stay home...

He should never have tried to appease the left .. it was a horrible economic decision for the country.

No, as I point out, when the economy was good and should have been paid down, as it was a time when the government was collecting more money due to the good economy, Trump actually doubled the deficit. With the pandemic causing issues with the economy, so less tax revenues, the deficit was already exploding -- and was then made worse by the payments that Trump wanted to ensure people knew came from him.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
the pandemic.
That is the key word, No one knew how to react to this. We are learning the consequences and no Trump wouldn't have saved us from the decisions made by our congressional response. Yes, Trump's economy was good and so was Obama. We were crawling our way out of the GFC during Obama.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
America's national economy was in decent shape before the pandemic. The majority of economic indicators before 2020 were really pretty good, if not better than good.
Thanks Obama.
Then, from 2020 until the present day, the federal government increased the USA National Debt at a higher rate not seen,... for the most part..., until those years.
Thanks COVID, Republicans, and Trump.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A study published in fall 2019 in the Journal of Economic Perspectives found that by December 2018, Trump's tariffs resulted in a reduction in aggregate U.S. real income of $1.4 billion per month in deadweight losses, and cost U.S. consumers an additional $3.2 billion per month in added tax.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Trump's tariffs resulted in a reduction in aggregate U.S. real income
I'm not going to blame any one President for a policy error but they all make them. I could blame Obama since the GFC but I won't because I know how stupid most politicians are with the economy and monetary system.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not going to blame any one President for a policy error but they all make them. I could blame Obama since the GFC but I won't because I know how stupid most politicians are with the economy and monetary system.
So they must rely on their advisors and Fed Chair. GFC? Global Financial Crisis? you would pin Obama for that?

• Optimistic
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟195,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

At least you agree Trump was a poor President.

Then again, those checks were signed by Trump.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
At least you agree Trump was a poor President.

Then again, those checks were signed by Trump.

They were, and while I don't think he was a poor president, he does have a tendency toward trying to make everyone happy... Left right and center.

It's an impossibility to do so, (it's not like the left was happy even though Trump acquiesced to their whims) and for the American people is too costly with the debt being what it is.... (Apparently happiness in America is tied to writing checks for a variety of things).

I'm hoping he reigns in that tendency this time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He benefits when times are good.
He benefits when they're not.
He benefits when things change.
But he's concerned.

~bella

Who does?

I really hope your not talking about Biden...

Upvote 0