Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Job has always intrigued me as a bible book. Scholars and historians believe Job was written before Moses. This book also explains God's ransom for many. Job was a Gentile. He is not found in any of the Hebrews ancestry. So we have the story of Job. This is a great study and interpretation of Job.

Who Was Job in the Bible?

So what do others think of Job, does his story speak to us today?

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,449,728.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The author makes the point:

Job was not an Israelite. “His non-Israelite status explains the absence of many key theological elements in the book, including law, covenant, temple and reference to Yahweh..."

He doesn't point out what the book does do, however.

The Book of Job is nearly unique in that instead of God speaking in terms of law and covenant, God speaks in terms of His wonders of creation. God speaks of constellations of stars, of tides, of storms, of the great creatures of land and sea. These are things that Job could know and see without the direct revelation of law or covenant from God, such as Moses got on Sinai.

I say "nearly unique" because Psalm 19 does say that God's existence and character are revealed in creation to all people. And also, Paul says the same thing to the Romans. Everyone has access to creation, so nobody has an excuse to say, "There is no God."

What we see in Job is the demonstration of Psalm 19 and Romans 1: A man who knows of God and His character through creation itself. But although this man knows God exists, he also knows that he can't reach God by himself.

If only there were someone to mediate between us, someone to bring us together, someone to remove God’s rod from me, so that his terror would frighten me no more. -- Job 9

Job didn't know the name of Jesus, but he knew he needed Jesus.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Job has always intrigued me as a bible book. Scholars and historians believe Job was written before Moses. This book also explains God's ransom for many. Job was a Gentile. He is not found in any of the Hebrews ancestry. So we have the story of Job. This is a great study and interpretation of Job.

Who Was Job in the Bible?

So what do others think of Job, does his story speak to us today?

You can take the book of Job at many different levels, there are things in it that can be applied to life today.

I personally have always taken the Book of Job to be a Montage of (Everyman), it speaks to everyone on many different levels of understanding, without ever leading one to Judaism, or Christianity.

Seems to be a contemporary of people like Noah, Abraham, but not with the relationship with God that they had, more like an exposition of Thoughts, Beliefs, Understandings about the Spiritual without ever coming to the point of a direct relationship with God the way Noah, and Abraham had.

It reminds me in style as the story of Jesus about Lazarus and the Rich man.
Both to me are nothing more than Story's, there isn't any reason for them to be taken or believed to be truthful accounts of real people, they are more about the principals involved in story form.

The fact it was in the Old Testament it was more than likely written to the Jews, but not to a Christian reader..

Upvote 0

Broken Fence

God with us!
Site Supporter
May 1, 2020
TX to New Heaven, New Earth, New Jerusalem
✟142,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
The author makes the point:

He doesn't point out what the book does do, however.

The Book of Job is nearly unique in that instead of God speaking in terms of law and covenant, God speaks in terms of His wonders of creation. God speaks of constellations of stars, of tides, of storms, of the great creatures of land and sea. These are things that Job could know and see without the direct revelation of law or covenant from God, such as Moses got on Sinai.

I say "nearly unique" because Psalm 19 does say that God's existence and character are revealed in creation to all people. And also, Paul says the same thing to the Romans. Everyone has access to creation, so nobody has an excuse to say, "There is no God."

What we see in Job is the demonstration of Psalm 19 and Romans 1: A man who knows of God and His character through creation itself. But although this man knows God exists, he also knows that he can't reach God by himself.

If only there were someone to mediate between us, someone to bring us together, someone to remove God’s rod from me, so that his terror would frighten me no more. -- Job 9

Job didn't know the name of Jesus, but he knew he needed Jesus.
I totally agree. Job knew of God's ransom. Job had an interesting relationship with God so much that he offered burnt offerings for his children everyday.

Upvote 0

Broken Fence

God with us!
Site Supporter
May 1, 2020
✟142,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
If you like Job, undertake a study of Tobit. There are some obvious similarities.
Robot yea never read will look into that. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Broken Fence

God with us!
Site Supporter
May 1, 2020
✟142,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
You can take the book of Job at many different levels, there are things in it that can be applied to life today.

I personally have always taken the Book of Job to be a Montage of (Everyman), it speaks to everyone on many different levels of understanding, without ever leading one to Judaism, or Christianity.

Seems to be a contemporary of people like Noah, Abraham, but not with the relationship with God that they had, more like an exposition of Thoughts, Beliefs, Understandings about the Spiritual without ever coming to the point of a direct relationship with God the way Noah, and Abraham had.

It reminds me in style as the story of Jesus about Lazarus and the Rich man.
Both to me are nothing more than Story's, there isn't any reason for them to be taken or believed to be truthful accounts of real people, they are more about the principals involved in story form.

The fact it was in the Old Testament it was more than likely written to the Jews, but not to a Christian reader..
Yea good lessons in Job for everyone. Job had strong faith.

Upvote 0