kentucky
✟24,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
i wonder if anyone here owns this book, and if so, what do you think of it? many years ago i read some excerpts from it and was very impressed. i'm thinking about ordering it, but it's over $50.

i bought a book he published about 10 or so years ago that has to do with the doctrine of the Cross, but that book was of no value to me at all. he repeated himself to the point of tedium and never made it clear exactly how i was supposed to apply it. (which i think tends to be very usual with Brother Jimmy's teaching.) but what i saw of his book on Romans was not like that.

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,656.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
i wonder if anyone here owns this book, and if so, what do you think of it? many years ago i read some excerpts from it and was very impressed. i'm thinking about ordering it, but it's over $50.

i bought a book he published about 10 or so years ago that has to do with the doctrine of the Cross, but that book was of no value to me at all. he repeated himself to the point of tedium and never made it clear exactly how i was supposed to apply it. (which i think tends to be very usual with Brother Jimmy's teaching.) but what i saw of his book on Romans was not like that.
87% of Amazon shoppers gave it a 5-star rating.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

Why would anyone listen to or have anything to do with crying Jimmy Swindler?

Reactions: Jipsah
Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,656.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Why would anyone listen to or have anything to do with crying Jimmy Swindler?
Good question! My response? Patience.

This is what the LORD says:
“Do people fall and not get up?
Does one turn away and not repent?
“Why has this people, Jerusalem,
Turned away in continual apostasy? (Jeremiah 8:4,5)

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,656.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Interestingly enough, there is a brutal review of JS's theology by an ordained Assembly of God Pastor seen here.

That Pastor's background is seen
here.

Reactions: markbrewer
Upvote 0

markbrewer

Mar 29, 2019
kentucky
✟24,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
i guess i need to say that i am not a big follower of JS. back when i 1st got saved in middle eighties, he had not been exposed and i listened to his teaching quite a bit. as a new believer, i was struggling. swaggart's preaching could really stir my heart. but he would preach Gospel for about 3 minutes and spend the rest of the sermon bashing every other preacher.

i realized, many years later, that he was great at telling us all the ways we were wrong, but he really never told how to be right. the man did damage to me when he stood in the pulpit, raised his Bible above his head and with tears told us, "the Holy Spirit said to me that you're not going to make it." here i was, a new believer struggling along and the Most Exemplary Man of God (as he presented himself, the very image of what a Godly man was supposed to be) wasn't going to make it! from that time on, discouragement piled on me and i did not do well.

but, i have to admit, i did learn some good things from him. he helped me to understand what holiness is. he didn't really tell me how to achieve it, but he did make me aware of it. the book that i am asking about impressed me when i read some excerpts from it and i want to check it out more closely.

Reactions: rocknanchor
Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,656.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
i guess i need to say that i am not a big follower of JS. back when i 1st got saved in middle eighties, he had not been exposed and i listened to his teaching quite a bit. as a new believer, i was struggling. swaggart's preaching could really stir my heart. but he would preach Gospel for about 3 minutes and spend the rest of the sermon bashing every other preacher.

i realized, many years later, that he was great at telling us all the ways we were wrong, but he really never told how to be right. the man did damage to me when he stood in the pulpit, raised his Bible above his head and with tears told us, "the Holy Spirit said to me that you're not going to make it." here i was, a new believer struggling along and the Most Exemplary Man of God (as he presented himself, the very image of what a Godly man was supposed to be) wasn't going to make it! from that time on, discouragement piled on me and i did not do well.

but, i have to admit, i did learn some good things from him. he helped me to understand what holiness is. he didn't really tell me how to achieve it, but he did make me aware of it. the book that i am asking about impressed me when i read some excerpts from it and i want to check it out more closely.
WOW, praise God you held on and prayed through!

OK, mid-eighties ('84) is when I jumped aboard the AOG/Pentecostal train, WooHoo! That Church in OKC was the same design and build as JS's. He told us that when he came to minister one day. I must admit the message he delivered that day was a swap from your experience. Laid the groundwork of setbacks and weakness then belted out a masterful message of encouragement. That had to have been literally months from his being barred from the AOG over the scandalous fall.

Nice to meet you Mark!

Upvote 0

markbrewer

Mar 29, 2019
kentucky
✟24,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Interestingly enough, there is a brutal review of JS's theology by an ordained Assembly of God Pastor seen here.

That Pastor's background is seen
here.
i went and checked out that link and read a bunch of that...my oh my. there's several tales on there that i'd never heard before. depressing.

once upon a time, he really seemed to have it all going on. i learned my lesson.

• Prayers
Reactions: rocknanchor
Upvote 0