United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Same here @franky67

I would imagine their justification was something similar to the "all men created equal" scenario. By men the originals meant mankind. How to prove it? You cannot and the power hungry always win.

It states directly in Romans 5:8:
"But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
US being ALL of us.

Or what about John 3:16:
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that WHOEVER believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."

Here is y favorite (Ephesians 2:14):
"For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility,"

They were not Christians, my friend. There are true Christians and there are fake ones. Anyone who treats a person or animal- no matter what their race or species- differently because of it, is not a true Christian.

"Let all that you do be done in love." -1 Corinthians 16:14

You cannot treat someone as slaves were treated and call it love. If you do you need to seek a therapist before you put yourself and those around you in danger :) (Speaking generally, not aimed towards anyone).

Upvote 0

franky67

Senior Veteran
Jul 22, 2005
✟21,351.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Same here @franky67

I would imagine their justification was something similar to the "all men created equal" scenario. By men the originals meant mankind. How to prove it? You cannot and the power hungry always win.

It states directly in Romans 5:8:
"But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
US being ALL of us.

Or what about John 3:16:
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that WHOEVER believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."

Here is y favorite (Ephesians 2:14):
"For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility,"

They were not Christians, my friend. There are true Christians and there are fake ones. Anyone who treats a person or animal- no matter what their race or species- differently because of it, is not a true Christian.

"Let all that you do be done in love." -1 Corinthians 16:14

You cannot treat someone as slaves were treated and call it love. If you do you need to seek a therapist before you put yourself and those around you in danger :) (Speaking generally, not aimed towards anyone).
You are right, but if all the other sins were addressed by name, then why wasn't slavery?

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sadly when people talk about christians and current hot topic issues they are like "Well you christians used to also be ok with slavery and not marrying outside your face!". Its like "Uh, what?!?". There were christians that were Union to, actually MANY were Union and against slavery. I think people just assume because the conf's were southern, that the bible belt meant all christians were for slavery then.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I wonder what the Confederate Christians used to justify slavery.
Respectfully... does it matter? They are all dead, they were a product of their culture... and they cannot give an answer for themselves as this time.

• Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

Ajflyguy7

Aug 12, 2017
Central Coast, California
✟23,990.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The bible does say that you can beat your slaves as long as they don't die within a day or two. Jesus is quoted in the bible as saying, "Slaves, obey your masters." I'd say that works well for justification.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I appreciate your heart, but I think you could be setting yourself up for a challenge. :) First of all... many people in the bible who are clearly servants of God... even used as examples of faith (see Heb. 11) had slaves. Secondly, MOST (not all) slaves both in biblical times and in the south were considered to be part of the family and were treated well. There CLEARLY were exceptions so don't bother bringing up examples, I am all too aware... and disgusted... by them.

• Friendly
Reactions: Zoey <3
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The bible does say that you can beat your slaves as long as they don't die within a day or two. Jesus is quoted in the bible as saying, "Slaves, obey your masters." I'd say that works well for justification.
Nah, to me its the "Obey mans law unless it interferes with Gods laws" thing. Our masters are those above us. Police, government, bosses..etc. Even your bank. We are slaves to the system.

Upvote 0

Ajflyguy7

Aug 12, 2017
✟23,990.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Nah, to me its the "Obey mans law unless it interferes with Gods laws" thing. Our masters are those above us. Police, government, bosses..etc. Even your bank. We are slaves to the system.
I highly doubt that is how Jesus meant it back then. Even if he did, that doesn't address the bigger issue of God allowing for slavery and allowing slaves to be severely beaten.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I highly doubt that is how Jesus meant it back then. Even if he did, that doesn't address the bigger issue of God allowing for slavery and allowing slaves to be severely beaten.
Well alot of the bible is used as a parable. Such as when the bible has someone talking about the story of a field and of its harvesting. Its not about how to actually harvest a field, its about bringing salvation to others. Well in short.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ajflyguy7

Aug 12, 2017
✟23,990.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Well alot of the bible is used as a parable. Such as when the bible has someone talking about the story of a field and of its harvesting. Its not about how to actually harvest a field, its about bringing salvation to others. Well in short.
So, you are saying the Bible is completely open to interpretation and doesn't really mean anything literally? In other words, the Bible says a lot of things, but doesn't mean any of them. It only means what you interpret it to mean.

You'd think an all-powerful God could have figured out a better way to make sure that everyone knew his wishes and rules for treating each other, animals, the planet, worshipping, etc. Instead, we got a compilation of poems, parables, and letters. We don't have any actual copies of the "scripture," we don't really know who wrote it, nothing is written by eyewitnesses (oral tradition that was documented 40 years to more than a century later), it was put together by a council of men with an agenda, converted to different languages by men, and is now interpreted by us and preached by men with agendas. That is the worst possible way anyone could think of to distribute what should be the most important information in human history. Doesn't sound very godly to me.

Upvote 0

Zoey <3

Considering Catholicism
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2017
Ohio
✟74,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You are right, but if all the other sins were addressed by name, then why wasn't slavery?

Most sins were not addressed directly. Not specific ones such as slavery. However, in Exodus the Jews were enslaved. God lead them out of captivity and into the Promised Land of freedom. You could use that as an example. It is more a story as opposed to a single verse. There is nearly half the book of Exodus written about it. I would suggest reading that if you are curious :)

Ahhhh here would be their backup:

Exodus 21:1-11

I was going to quote it, but my computer is glitching. You will have to search for it on your own.

While it does not justify cruelty and life in slavery, I could see why some minds would use this as a backup.

Upvote 0

franky67

Senior Veteran
Jul 22, 2005
✟21,351.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Most sins were not addressed directly. Not specific ones such as slavery. However, in Exodus the Jews were enslaved. God lead them out of captivity and into the Promised Land of freedom. You could use that as an example. It is more a story as opposed to a single verse. There is nearly half the book of Exodus written about it. I would suggest reading that if you are curious :)

Ahhhh here would be their backup:

Exodus 21:1-11

I was going to quote it, but my computer is glitching. You will have to search for it on your own.

While it does not justify cruelty and life in slavery, I could see why some minds would use this as a backup.
Thank you, very thoughtful, had not considered the freedom form Egypt, glad to hear any other's thoughts on this subject

• Winner
Reactions: Zoey <3
Upvote 0

Ajflyguy7

Aug 12, 2017
✟23,990.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, very thoughtful, had not considered the freedom form Egypt, glad to hear any other's thoughts on this subject
Slavery was specifically addressed, check out Exodus 21:20-21 ""If a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod and he dies at his hand, he shall be punished. "If, however, he survives a day or two, no vengeance shall be taken; for he is his property."

That sounds to me like it is fine by God to own slaves and beat them, as long as they don't die within a day or two. Such a loving God he is!

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, you are saying the Bible is completely open to interpretation and doesn't really mean anything literally? In other words, the Bible says a lot of things, but doesn't mean any of them. It only means what you interpret it to mean.

You'd think an all-powerful God could have figured out a better way to make sure that everyone knew his wishes and rules for treating each other, animals, the planet, worshipping, etc. Instead, we got a compilation of poems, parables, and letters. We don't have any actual copies of the "scripture," we don't really know who wrote it, nothing is written by eyewitnesses (oral tradition that was documented 40 years to more than a century later), it was put together by a council of men with an agenda, converted to different languages by men, and is now interpreted by us and preached by men with agendas. That is the worst possible way anyone could think of to distribute what should be the most important information in human history. Doesn't sound very godly to me.
Well to some degree yes, its open to interpretation, hence the problem of there being so many denominations of christians who don't always degree on things.

Slavery was specifically addressed, check out Exodus 21:20-21 ""If a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod and he dies at his hand, he shall be punished. "If, however, he survives a day or two, no vengeance shall be taken; for he is his property."

That sounds to me like it is fine by God to own slaves and beat them, as long as they don't die within a day or two. Such a loving God he is!
Well obviously your not really here to learn anything, just to use the boring old argument of you hate God because you don't understand Him and never will change. I mean normally I don't mind talking (to some degree) about how all this works but its apparent in your remarks you have some big hatred for God. Which means talking about Him is kind of pointless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ajflyguy7

Aug 12, 2017
✟23,990.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Well to some degree yes, its open to interpretation, hence the problem of there being so many denominations of christians who don't always degree on things.

Well obviously your not really here to learn anything, just to use the boring old argument of you hate God because you don't understand Him and never will change. I mean normally I don't mind talking (to some degree) about how all this works but its apparent in your remarks you have some big hatred for God. Which means talking about Him is kind of pointless.

Yes, the Bible is completely open to interpretation. I've heard Christians say that you have to have the Holy Spirit in your heart so you can properly interpret the Bible. There are hundreds, if not thousands of Christian denominations, they have completely different views on every topic, and they all use the Bible to justify their view.

I can't hate something that most likely doesn't exist. I grew up in the church and spent 20 years trying to find God, but he was nowhere to be found. As I read the Bible and learned more about its creation, I began to question things and see God in a different light. I don't see your God as loving or a being that I would want to worship. Maybe I'm interpreting the Bible incorrectly, I'd be happy to discuss that. Did I misinterpret the information in Exodus?

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

They could not use the Bible.. So they tried to get around the Bible's teaching that all men are created equal in Gods eyes by declaring that Africans where Sub- humans and thus not fully people..

That's what made the type of slavery in the USA worse then many other examples, Because to try and justify it they declared Africans to not be human beings.. Thus once a person is not considered a full human being then natural human rights do not apply to them..

Upvote 0

franky67

Senior Veteran
Jul 22, 2005
✟21,351.00
Faith
Word of Faith
I know they used force, but I meant how did the sunday morning, church going, Christians support slavery?
  • I will tell you that Jesus gave the world only two specific rules to live by, they are...
  • Love God with all your heart, soul, and mind, and love your neighbor as yourself.
  • Those two cover it all, including slavery.

Upvote 0