Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟663,126.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Who quoted EW? The foolishness you are referring to you must mean the scripture I posted because I only quoted scripture and I certainly would not call the Word of God foolish, which seems to be what you are insinuating. I don't see any direct quotes what you are referring to which would be helpful.
That is it SB, no one quotes her, at least directly. Other prophets are quoted from the Bible, but Ellen is never mentioned. Should posters not be proclaiming Ellen to all the World? Why hide her under a basket? If what she prophesied came from God then by all means they all should be noted and reference made. As it is I see a lot of picking and choosing as to which of her guiding words, from God?, are heeded. It reminds me of those who quote "keep the commandments of God" and then limit His commandments to ten plus the clean and unclean meat laws from the other 603 laws given only to Israel.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
That is it SB, no one quotes her, at least directly. Other prophets are quoted from the Bible, but Ellen is never mentioned. Should posters not be proclaiming Ellen to all the World? .

A. It is not true that SDA speakers in our churches never quote something God told Ellen White. (My guess is that you know this full well).
B. No official SDA document argues that we should skip the idea of doctrine being shown in the Bible and just use what God showed Ellen White (My guess is that you know this full well).
C. All prophets are tested - sola scriptura - so the first step is always to find out what scripture actually says. Which is the very point where many people have some difficulty.
D. When a prophet is accepted as such - then blessings flow because of specific statements God makes to that prophet. 2 Chron 20:20 --

"20 Believe in the Lord your God, so shall ye be established; believe his prophets, so shall ye prosper..”

Prov 29: "18 Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he.

Amos 3:7 "Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets."
Maybe you are interested in a thread topic called "why does the Bible say Christians should listen to His prophets?" - instead of the topic of this current thread.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No the explicit meaning is stated in the text.

"When therefore you assemble yourselves together, it is not the Lord's supper that you eat. For in your eating each one takes his own supper first. One is hungry, and another is drunken. What, don't you have houses to eat and to drink in?"

So "yes" they are eating and drinking in that assembly - but they are selfish and gluttons apparently - ... so it is not a matter of not breaking bread - it is a matter of feasting and ignoring the needy.

It does not say "observe the Lord's supper in every meeting"
When they were coming together, they were eating their own supper first, which is not the way to eat the Lord's supper.

I think the New Living Translation makes it clearer
20 When you meet together, you are not really interested in the Lord’s Supper. For some of you hurry to eat your own meal without sharing with others. As a result, some go hungry while others get drunk.
1 Corinthians 11 NLT

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟381,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
That is it SB, no one quotes her, at least directly. Other prophets are quoted from the Bible, but Ellen is never mentioned. Should posters not be proclaiming Ellen to all the World? Why hide her under a basket? If what she prophesied came from God then by all means they all should be noted and reference made. As it is I see a lot of picking and choosing as to which of her guiding words, from God?, are heeded. It reminds me of those who quote "keep the commandments of God" and then limit His commandments to ten plus the clean and unclean meat laws from the other 603 laws given only to Israel.

Bob S: "That is it SB, no one quotes her, at least directly. Other prophets are quoted from the Bible, but Ellen is never mentioned."

A quick search of the internet proves this false.​

Bob S: "Why hide her under a basket?"

Ellen's writings have been and continue to be proclaimed to the world.
  • During her lifetime she wrote more than 5,000 periodical articles and 40 books; but today, including compilations from her 50,000 pages of manuscript, more than 100 titles are available in English.
  • She is the most translated woman writer in the entire history of literature, and the most translated American author of either gender.
  • Her writings cover a broad range of subjects, including religion, education, social relationships, evangelism, prophecy, publishing, nutrition, and management.
  • Her life-changing masterpiece on successful Christian living, Steps to Christ, has been published in more than 140 languages.
Her writings are widely published and readily available for free on her official websites.
Bob S: "As it is I see a lot of picking and choosing as to which of her guiding words, from God?, are heeded."

1. This is a blanket statement that has no basis in fact.
2. You just said she is being hidden under a basket. How is she being hidden and quoted at the same time? Contradictory statements in your last two quotes.
3. I don't know anyone who picks and chooses her words whatsoever. Either she is a prophet or she isn't. Either her words align with scripture, or they don't.
Bob S: "Should posters not be proclaiming Ellen to all the World?"

1. Ellen points us right back to scripture.
2. People don't want to hear the truth found in scripture. They will argue against plain, easy-to-understand truths from the word of God. Would quoting Ellen make it any better?
3. She was very specific about her writings vs scripture.

You wanted a quote, so here's Ellen concerning scripture and what is happening now. She sums it up way better than I could.​

“The widespread iniquity prevalent today may in a great degree be attributed to a failure to study and obey the Scriptures, for when the word of God is set aside, its power to restrain the evil passions of the natural heart is rejected... With the setting aside of the Bible has come a turning away from God’s law. The doctrine that men are released from obedience to the divine precepts, has weakened the force of moral obligation and opened the floodgates of iniquity upon the world...

“Man has set his will against the will of God, but he cannot silence the word of command. The human mind cannot evade its obligation to a higher power. Theories and speculations may abound; men may try to set science in opposition to revelation, and thus do away with God’s law; but stronger and still stronger comes the command; “Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and Him only shalt thou serve...”

“Between the laws of men and the precepts of Jehovah will come the last great conflict of the controversy between truth and error. Upon this battle we are now entering—a battle not between rival churches contending for the supremacy, but between the religion of the Bible and the religions of fable and tradition... God’s holy word, which has been handed down to us at so great a cost of suffering and bloodshed, is little valued. There are few who really accept it as a rule of life...”

“The tremendous issues of eternity demand of us something besides an imaginary religion, a religion of words and forms, where truth is kept in the outer court. God calls for a revival and a reformation. The words of the Bible, and the Bible alone, should be heard from the pulpit...”

“Let the word of God speak to the heart. Let those who have heard only of tradition and human theories and maxims, hear the voice of Him who can renew the soul unto eternal life.” —Prophets and Kings, 624-6​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟663,126.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A. It is not true that SDA speakers in our churches never quote something God told Ellen White. (My guess is that you know this full well).
If you had read my post with some understanding you would have realized I was referring to "posters". Yes, I have heard SDA pastors quote Ellen, but almost all of them never mention her name or that they are quoting her prophesies. Instead of using her name it was "my favorite author wrote..."
B. No official SDA document argues that we should skip the idea of doctrine being shown in the Bible and just use what God showed Ellen White (My guess is that you know this full well).
Where did I accuse SDAs of not using the Bible for doctrine? Why did you even mention that?

C. All prophets are tested - sola scriptura - so the first step is always to find out what scripture actually says. Which is the very point where many people have some difficulty.
Yep, tested and found wanting.
D. When a prophet is accepted as such - then blessings flow because of specific statements God makes to that prophet. 2 Chron 20:20 --

"20 Believe in the Lord your God, so shall ye be established; believe his prophets, so shall ye prosper..”

Prov 29: "18 Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he.

Amos 3:7 "Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets."​
20 Do not treat prophecies with contempt 21 but test them all; hold on to what is good, 22 reject every kind of evil. Eph5

Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 1Jn4:1
Maybe you are interested in a thread topic called "why does the Bible say Christians should listen to His prophets?" - instead of the topic of this current thread.
I believe this to be an appropriate time to do some reminding. Here is hoping you understand.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

I may even start such a thread in a forum where it is appropriate

I believe this to be an appropriate time to do some reminding. Here is hoping you understand.

It will be interesting to see just what that is.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If you had read my post with some understanding you would have realized I was referring to "posters". Yes, I have heard SDA pastors quote Ellen, but almost all of them never mention her name or that they are quoting her prophesies. Instead of using her name it was "my favorite author wrote..."

Clearly we don't attend the same churches.

Where did I accuse SDAs of not using the Bible for doctrine? Why did you even mention that?

Because it is key to the point of proving doctrine from the Bible and affirming "sola scriptura" testing.

Yep, tested and found wanting.
20 Do not treat prophecies with contempt 21 but test them all; hold on to what is good, 22 reject every kind of evil. Eph5

No doubt you have free will and can reject or accept whatever you wish.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟663,126.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bob S: "That is it SB, no one quotes her, at least directly. Other prophets are quoted from the Bible, but Ellen is never mentioned."

A quick search of the internet proves this false.​

Only in your mind my friend.​

Bob S: "Why hide her under a basket?"

Ellen's writings have been and continue to be proclaimed to the world.
  • During her lifetime she wrote more than 5,000 periodical articles and 40 books; but today, including compilations from her 50,000 pages of manuscript, more than 100 titles are available in English.
  • She is the most translated woman writer in the entire history of literature, and the most translated American author of either gender.
  • Her writings cover a broad range of subjects, including religion, education, social relationships, evangelism, prophecy, publishing, nutrition, and management.
  • Her life-changing masterpiece on successful Christian living, Steps to Christ, has been published in more than 140 languages.
Her writings are widely published and readily available for free on her official websites.​
At one time Adventists tried to make her light shine. Colporteurs ran to and fro hawking her books, that has ceased so I understand. If one in a thousand has ever heard or read one page of her writings I would really be surprised. Ask your SDA friends if they read her. You might find that the Sabbath school teacher digs out some of her statements. Yes, she is being hid under a bushel. The truth is she has become an embarrassment. What would SDAs do without their coffee? Why don't SDAs take heed to Ellen's council on photographs? Read this and be where:
During the night I was sorely distressed. A great burden rested upon me. I had been pleading with God to work in behalf of His people. My attention was called to the money which they have invested in photographs. I was taken from house to house, through the homes of our people, and as I went from room to room, my Instructor said, “Behold the idols which have accumulated!” {RH September 10, 1901, par. 1}

Bob S: "As it is I see a lot of picking and choosing as to which of her guiding words, from God?, are heeded."

1. This is a blanket statement that has no basis in fact.
Maybe I should show you some more "basis in fact."

2. You just said she is being hidden under a basket. How is she being hidden and quoted at the same time? Contradictory statements in your last two quotes.
She is hidden under a basket to the World. What you discuss a group could be different. Most of the literate World knows Paul, Ellen is supposed to be the last great prophet. She wrote many books and many books have been written about her, but who is reading them? Better yet, who is taking heed to what she wrote?
3. I don't know anyone who picks and chooses her words whatsoever. Either she is a prophet or she isn't. Either her words align with scripture, or they don't.
You drink coffee, eat meat, wear the fashions, have photos displayed in your home and on and on?
Bob S: "Should posters not be proclaiming Ellen to all the World?"

1. Ellen points us right back to scripture.
2. People don't want to hear the truth found in scripture. They will argue against plain, easy-to-understand truths from the word of God. Would quoting Ellen make it any better?
3. She was very specific about her writings vs scripture.​
'What the World Needs Now..."
Lord, we don't need another mountain
There are mountains and hillsides enough to climb
There are oceans and rivers enough to cross
Enough to last 'till the end of time

What the world needs now is love, sweet love
No, not just for some, but for everyone

Everyone

It's the only thing that there's just too little of
No, not just for some, but just for every, every, everyone

What the World doesn't need now is Ellen's writings that tell us we are going to Hell for not keeping the now defunct Seventh-day Sabbath that was for Israel only and ended at Calvary.

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟381,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single

At one time Adventists tried to make her light shine. Colporteurs ran to and fro hawking her books, that has ceased so I understand. If one in a thousand has ever heard or read one page of her writings I would really be surprised. Ask your SDA friends if they read her. You might find that the Sabbath school teacher digs out some of her statements. Yes, she is being hid under a bushel. The truth is she has become an embarrassment. What would SDAs do without their coffee? Why don't SDAs take heed to Ellen's council on photographs? Read this and be where:
During the night I was sorely distressed. A great burden rested upon me. I had been pleading with God to work in behalf of His people. My attention was called to the money which they have invested in photographs. I was taken from house to house, through the homes of our people, and as I went from room to room, my Instructor said, “Behold the idols which have accumulated!” {RH September 10, 1901, par. 1}

Maybe I should show you some more "basis in fact."

She is hidden under a basket to the World. What you discuss a group could be different. Most of the literate World knows Paul, Ellen is supposed to be the last great prophet. She wrote many books and many books have been written about her, but who is reading them? Better yet, who is taking heed to what she wrote?

You drink coffee, eat meat, wear the fashions, have photos displayed in your home and on and on?
'What the World Needs Now..."
Lord, we don't need another mountain
There are mountains and hillsides enough to climb
There are oceans and rivers enough to cross
Enough to last 'till the end of time

No, not just for some, but for everyone

Everyone

It's the only thing that there's just too little of
No, not just for some, but just for every, every, everyone

What the World doesn't need now is Ellen's writings that tell us we are going to Hell for not keeping the now defunct Seventh-day Sabbath that was for Israel only and ended at Calvary.

Bob S: "You drink coffee?"
───────────────────

No. I used to be addicted to it.

Bob S:
"Eat meat?
"
───────────────────
On occasion, but only if I eat out—if I feel like it. I do not buy meat at the grocery store, nor do I keep meet in my home. I eat vegetarian for the most part.

Bob S: "Wear the fashions?"
───────────────────

No. I wear simple, comfortable clothing.

Bob S: "Have photos displayed in your home?"
───────────────────
No. My walls are empty. The only photo I have is one a friend gave me as a gift, which resides on a bookshelf.

Bob S: "What the World doesn't need now is Ellen's writings that tell us we are going to Hell for not keeping the now defunct Seventh-day Sabbath that was for Israel only and ended at Calvary."
───────────────────

You're right, we don't need Ellen to tell us to remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Scripture does that just fine.

You can agree to disagree Bob S. God bless!

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
At one time Adventists tried to make her light shine. Colporteurs ran to and fro hawking her books, ...

So this is your effort to stay on topic of "Jesus did or did not leave the day of worship open"?? Or are you already on your own thread ... on this thread??

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

At one time Adventists tried to make her light shine. Colporteurs ran to and fro hawking her books, that has ceased so I understand. If one in a thousand has ever heard or read one page of her writings I would really be surprised. Ask your SDA friends if they read her. .... <obligatory off-topic text deleted here>

Bob S: "You drink coffee?"
───────────────────

No. I used to be addicted to it.

Bob S:
"Eat meat?
"
───────────────────
On occasion, but only if I eat out—if I feel like it. I do not buy meat at the grocery store, nor do I keep meet in my home. I eat vegetarian for the most part.

Bob S: "Wear the fashions?"
───────────────────

No. I wear simple, comfortable clothing.

Bob S: "Have photos displayed in your home?"
───────────────────

No. My walls are empty. The only photo I have is one a friend gave me as a gift, which resides on a bookshelf.

Bob S: "What the World doesn't need now is Ellen's writings that tell us we are going to Hell for not keeping the now defunct Seventh-day Sabbath that was for Israel only and ended at Calvary."
───────────────────

You're right, we don't need Ellen to tell us to remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Scripture does that just fine.

You can agree to disagree Bob S. God bless!

so then "a zillion topics" from BobS? Or just "I don't like Ellen White" topic??

Reactions: Freth
Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟381,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
so then "a zillion topics" from BobS? Or just "I don't like Ellen White" topic??

He did condense it down to one sentence.

I guess the personal questions were just to get to know me better.

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟376,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is no day of worship in Old Testament law, there is a day of REST. Just read what the Sabbath Commandment says.
That is not true.

We are called to keep the Day Holy.
Exod 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

And it is called to be a Holy.
Exod 31:14 Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.

A holy convocation, gathering.
Lev 23:3 Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings.

To keep the seventh Holy in a holy convocation can only be done through God in worship and righteous acts.

• Agree
Reactions: Freth
Upvote 0

Greengardener

for love is of God
Site Supporter
May 24, 2019
MidAtlantic
✟175,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Did Jesus tell us to worship on the sabbath day, either as a continuation of Old Testament law, or for any other reason? He did not. He could have said “When you come together on the sabbath …” but that’s not what He said. What He did say: “Whenever you drink it …” Jesus left the day of communion and the day of worship open.

Evangelical Protestants recognize baptism and communion as the ordinances that Jesus laid down for the church. We know that Jesus had His disciples baptize all who came forward, and they baptized on any day of the week. There is no association of baptism with the sabbath or any other day of the week. Neither is it possible to associate communion, the Lord’s Supper, with any day of the week.

For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you:
The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread,
and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is
my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.”
In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This
cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you
drink it,
in remembrance of me.”
I Corinthians 11:23-25 NIV

Someone else might have mentioned this, since there are already 91 posts. It appears to me that the commemoration of Communion can be viewed in the way you suggest but there are other ways to look at it that may be valid or even possibly more correct. I'll outline what I mean and you get to decide for yourself what value it may be to consider.

It could be that Jesus was indeed assigning a time to the commemoration of His supper, which is in the statement "on the night he was betrayed." So whenever you drink it, year after year, in the same annual cycle His other commemorations are held, you are to drink it in remembrance of Him.

There are groups that commemorate this Communion commemoration weekly, others quarterly, and even those who see it as an annual commemoration. Often what is done is based on tradition, and what is written is interpreted in light of the tradition. Traditions are something very different from commandments.

With the privilege of owning the Scriptures and the ability to read the Bible we can hold in our own hands, we can each study to show ourselves approved to God by agreeing with what He says. I strongly encourage this, even if our conclusions put us at odds with the current traditions.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
MOD HAT ON

DUE TO MULTIPLE OFF TOPIC POSTS

241634_a435e7c864cf3d1d54069d68f79ef38b_thumb.jpg

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.