Sebring, FL
✟664,282.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Did Jesus tell us to worship on the sabbath day, either as a continuation of Old Testament law, or for any other reason? He did not. He could have said “When you come together on the sabbath …” but that’s not what He said. What He did say: “Whenever you drink it …” Jesus left the day of communion and the day of worship open.

Evangelical Protestants recognize baptism and communion as the ordinances that Jesus laid down for the church. We know that Jesus had His disciples baptize all who came forward, and they baptized on any day of the week. There is no association of baptism with the sabbath or any other day of the week. Neither is it possible to associate communion, the Lord’s Supper, with any day of the week.

For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you:
The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread,
and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is
my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.”
In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This
cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you
drink it,
in remembrance of me.”
I Corinthians 11:23-25 NIV

“Whenever you drink it…” leaves the day open.

While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and
broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat;
this is my body.”
Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them,
saying, “Drink from it, all of you.
This is my blood of the [Some manuscripts: the new]
covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of
sins.
I tell you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on
until that day when I drink it anew with you in my Father’s
kingdom.”
When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of
Olives.
Matthew 26:26-30 NIV

Jesus and the disciples take communion and sing a hymn. This is much like a worship service. Jesus doesn’t mention any day of the week, so the day is not relevant.

broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take it; this is
my body.”
Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, and
they all drank from it.
“This is my blood of the [Some manuscripts: the new]
covenant, which is poured out for many,” he said to them.
“I tell you the truth, I will not drink again of the fruit of the
vine until that day when I drink it anew in the kingdom of
God.”
Olives.
Mark 14:22-26 NIV

Again, in Mark, Jesus and the Apostles take communion and sing a hymn. No day of the week is mentioned, so the day doesn’t matter.

After taking the cup, he gave thanks and said, “Take this and
divide it among you.
For I tell you I will not drink again of the fruit of the vine
until the kingdom of God comes.”
And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to
them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in
remembrance of me.”
In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying,
“This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured
out for you.
Luke 22: 17-20 NIV

In Luke, Jesus and the Apostles take communion. Translators agree that Luke associates the cup of wine with the “new covenant.” Jesus is not affirming Old Testament law, He introduces a New Covenant. Again, no day of the week is mentioned.

Jesus allows Christians to worship, and take communion, on any day of the week. No day is preferred.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Did Jesus tell us to worship on the sabbath day, either as a continuation of Old Testament law, or for any other reason?

1. He never quoted the command "do not take God's name in vain" but that does not mean we are free to do it without that still being "a sin" just as it always was for anyone who did it , in all of time.

2. The NT writers tell us that it was Jesus speaking at Sinai - speaking His Commandments, the TEN were spoken by Him to mankind.

3. Scripture tells us that for all eternity after the cross "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to worship" Is 66:23

4. Jesus tells us the "Sabbath was made FOR mankind" Mark 2:27

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Did Jesus tell us to worship on the sabbath day, either as a continuation of Old Testament law, or for any other reason? He did not. He could have said “When you come together on the sabbath …” but that’s not what He said. What He did say: “Whenever you drink it …” Jesus left the day of communion and the day of worship open.

Evangelical Protestants recognize baptism and communion as the ordinances that Jesus laid down for the church. We know that Jesus had His disciples baptize all who came forward, and they baptized on any day of the week. There is no association of baptism with the sabbath or any other day of the week. Neither is it possible to associate communion, the Lord’s Supper, with any day of the week.

For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you:
The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread,
and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is
my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.”
In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This
cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you
drink it,
in remembrance of me.”
I Corinthians 11:23-25 NIV

“Whenever you drink it…” leaves the day open.

broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat;
this is my body.”
Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them,
saying, “Drink from it, all of you.
This is my blood of the [Some manuscripts: the new]
covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of
sins.
I tell you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on
until that day when I drink it anew with you in my Father’s
kingdom.”
Olives.
Matthew 26:26-30 NIV

Jesus and the disciples take communion and sing a hymn. This is much like a worship service. Jesus doesn’t mention any day of the week, so the day is not relevant.

broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take it; this is
my body.”
Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, and
they all drank from it.
“This is my blood of the [Some manuscripts: the new]
covenant, which is poured out for many,” he said to them.
“I tell you the truth, I will not drink again of the fruit of the
vine until that day when I drink it anew in the kingdom of
God.”
Olives.
Mark 14:22-26 NIV

Again, in Mark, Jesus and the Apostles take communion and sing a hymn. No day of the week is mentioned, so the day doesn’t matter.

After taking the cup, he gave thanks and said, “Take this and
divide it among you.
For I tell you I will not drink again of the fruit of the vine
until the kingdom of God comes.”
And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to
them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in
remembrance of me.”
In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying,
“This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured
out for you.
Luke 22: 17-20 NIV

In Luke, Jesus and the Apostles take communion. Translators agree that Luke associates the cup of wine with the “new covenant.” Jesus is not affirming Old Testament law, He introduces a New Covenant. Again, no day of the week is mentioned.

Jesus allows Christians to worship, and take communion, on any day of the week. No day is preferred.
The command to keep the 7th day holy is not the command to worship God only on the 7th day. The Israelites worshiped God on every day, which included obeying His command to keep the 7th day holy. It is impossible to worship God by disobeying Him. Jesus was born under the law (Galatians 4:4), so he was obligated to obey it, and he was sinless, so he never broke it, which includes never breaking the command to keep the 7th day holy. The Lord's Supper was a Passover Seder, so what was said during it should not be removed from that context and applied to every day. Baptism has never been associated with a particular day.

In Acts 2:38, Peter instructed His audience to repent and become baptized for the forgiveness of sins, and God's law is how they knew what sin is, which includes the command to keep the 7th day holy, so part of that is repenting from breaking the Sabbath. Likewise, Jesus began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand (Matthew 4:17-23) and God's law is how his audience knew what sin is. Furthermore, Jesus set a sinless example of how to walk in obedience to God's law, and as his followers we are told to follow his example (1 Peter 2:21-22) and that those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked (1 John 2:6), so Jesus spent his ministry teaching his followers how to obey God's law both by word and by example, and he did not establish the New Covenant in order to undermine anything that he spent his ministry teaching, but rather the New Covenant still involves following God's law (Jeremiah 31:33). In John 14:24, Jesus said that his teachings were not his own, but that of the Father, so he should not be interpreted as being in disagreement with the Father about which laws we should follow.

Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1. He never quoted the command "do not take God's name in vain" but that does not mean we are free to do it without that still being "a sin" just as it always was for anyone who did it , in all of time.

2. The NT writers tell us that it was Jesus speaking at Sinai - speaking His Commandments, the TEN were spoken by Him to mankind.
Dale was right.

• Agree
Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Did Jesus tell us to worship on the sabbath day, either as a continuation of Old Testament law, or for any other reason?

Dale was right.

Jesus was right.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The command to keep the 7th day holy is not the command to worship God only on the 7th day. The Israelites worshiped God on every day, which included obeying His command to keep the 7th day holy. It is impossible to worship God by disobeying Him. Jesus was born under the law (Galatians 4:4), so he was obligated to obey it, and he was sinless, so he never broke it, which includes never breaking the command to keep the 7th day holy. The Lord's Supper was a Passover Seder, so what was said during it should not be removed from that context and applied to every day. Baptism has never been associated with a particular day.

In Acts 2:38, Peter instructed His audience to repent and become baptized for the forgiveness of sins, and God's law is how they knew what sin is, which includes the command to keep the 7th day holy, so part of that is repenting from breaking the Sabbath. Likewise, Jesus began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand (Matthew 4:17-23) and God's law is how his audience knew what sin is. Furthermore, Jesus set a sinless example of how to walk in obedience to God's law, and as his followers we are told to follow his example (1 Peter 2:21-22) and that those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked (1 John 2:6), so Jesus spent his ministry teaching his followers how to obey God's law both by word and by example, and he did not establish the New Covenant in order to undermine anything that he spent his ministry teaching, but rather the New Covenant still involves following God's law (Jeremiah 31:33). In John 14:24, Jesus said that his teachings were not his own, but that of the Father, so he should not be interpreted as being in disagreement with the Father about which laws we should follow.

Exodus 20
8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

hallowed
hăl′ōd
adjective
  1. Sanctified; consecrated.
  2. Highly venerated; sacrosanct.
  3. belonging to or derived from or associated with a divine power; made holy. Opposite of unholy.
sanctify
săngk′tə-fī″
transitive verb
  1. To set apart for sacred use; consecrate.
  2. To make holy; purify.
  3. To give religious sanction to, as with an oath or vow.
Holy
Belonging to, derived from, or associated with a divine power; sacred.

Exodus 3:5
And he said, Draw not nigh hither: put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground.

Exodus 35:2
Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a sabbath of rest to the Lord:

The sanctuary in the wilderness was a holy place because of the presence of the shekinah glory
Leviticus 16:23
And Aaron shall come into the tabernacle of the congregation, and shall put off the linen garments, which he put on when he went into the holy place, and shall leave them there:

Exodus 3 King James Version

2 And the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush: and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed.
3 And Moses said, I will now turn aside, and see this great sight, why the bush is not burnt.
4 And when the Lord saw that he turned aside to see, God called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said, Moses, Moses. And he said, Here am I.
5 And he said, Draw not nigh hither: put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground.

NOTICE to make it HOLY requires the presence of GOD
That is why the 7th day Sabbath is Holy because of the presence of GOD

No other day is called holy by GOD or hallowed or sanctified as is the 7th day Sabbath

Matthew 4:4
King James Version

4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
If that were true I would expect Thursday to be as popular as Monday and both as popular as Saturday or Sunday for communion services. So I suspect there is more to it than that.

The only place I know where they have communion every day of the week is a Catholic church. Maybe the Orthodox too.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟664,282.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Bob Ryan: “The NT writers tell us that it was Jesus speaking at Sinai - speaking His Commandments, the TEN were spoken by Him to mankind.”

What does the New Testament really say about Mt. Sinai and Old Testament law? Try this passage.

His [Abraham] son by the slave woman was born in the ordinary way; but his son by the free woman was born as the result of a promise.
These things may be taken figuratively, for the women
represent two covenants. One covenant is from Mount Sinai and bears children who are to be slaves: This is Hagar.
Now Hagar stands for Mount Sinai in Arabia and

corresponds to the present city of Jerusalem, because she is in slavery with her children.

But the Jerusalem that is above is free, and she is our mother. For it is written: “Be glad, O barren woman, who bears no children; break forth and cry aloud, you who have no labour pains; because more are the children of the desolate woman than of her who has a husband.” [Isaiah 54:1]
Now you, brothers, like Isaac, are children of promise.
At that time the son born in the ordinary way persecuted the son born by the power of the Spirit. It is the same now. But what does the Scripture say? “Get rid of the slave woman and her son, for the slave woman’s son will never share in the inheritance with the free woman’s son.” [Gen.21:10]
Therefore, brothers, we are not children of the slave woman, but of the free woman.
Galatians 4:23-31 NIV

Paul tells us that Christians, under the New Covenant, are “children of promise” while those who cling to the Old Covenant are living in slavery.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
[Staff Edited Quote]

IT IS ALL ABOUT WORSHIP. DO YOU WORSHIP THE CREATOR OR THE ENEMY?

Worship the beast on the venerable day of the SUN (pagan) or worship the Creator on the Sabbath of the Lord as HE commanded

The first Sin in the garden of Eden was disobedience to the voice of GOD

as stated above the LORD only made one day HOLY, sanctified and hallowed

Mans Sunday laws are coming shortly due to "climate change" then you will have to make a decision either for GOD of for Satan (Obey or deny)

1. Matthew 5:19
    Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

2. Matthew 15:9
    But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

3. Mark 7:7
    Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

4. Colossians 2:22
    Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?

Revelation 13:8
And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
IT IS ALL ABOUT WORSHIP. DO YOU WORSHIP THE CREATOR OR THE ENEMY?

Worship the beast on the venerable day of the SUN (pagan) or worship the Creator on the Sabbath of the Lord as HE commanded

The first Sin in the garden of Eden was disobedience to the voice of GOD

as stated above the LORD only made one day HOLY, sanctified and hallowed

Mans Sunday laws are coming shortly due to "climate change" then you will have to make a decision either for GOD of for Satan (Obey or deny)

1. Matthew 5:19
    Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

2. Matthew 15:9
    But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. <snip>
Revelation 13:8
And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the Law, till all be fulfilled. 19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least Commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the Kingdom of Heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach [them], the same shall be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven.

Deuteronomy 5:1-4 And Moses called all Israel, and said to them, Hear, Israel, the ordinances and judgments, all that I speak in your ears this day, and ye shall learn them, and observe to do them. 2The Lord your God made a covenant with you in Choreb. 3The Lord did not make this covenant with your fathers, but with you: ye are all here alive this day. 4The Lord spoke to you face to face in the mountain out of the midst of the fire.LXX

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Who spoke to Moses at Mt. Sinai?

The Father gave to Jesus that which Jesus teaches His Galilean Apostles.
John 12:48-50 = Deuteronomy 18:18-19
So, the Father gave Moses the Law, too.

From what Jesus did on the Sabbath... which is certainly the example for the circumcision to follow... works on the Sabbath must mean everything other than doing the works of God... i.e., going to work... or going places where other people have to work on the Sabbath in order to serve you.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Who spoke to Moses at Mt. Sinai?

Jesus did according to Hebrews 8.

Heb8:6 But now He(Jesus) has obtained a more excellent ministry, to the extent that He(Jesus) is also the mediator of a better covenant, which has been enacted on better promises.

7 For if that first covenant had been free of fault, no circumstances would have been sought for a second. 8 For in finding fault with the people, He(Jesus) says,

“Behold, days are coming, says the Lord(Jesus),
When I(Jesus) will bring about a new covenant
With the house of Israel and the house of Judah,
9 Not like the covenant which I(Jesus) made with their fathers
On the day I(Jesus) took them by the hand
To bring them out of the land of Egypt;
For they did not continue in My(Jesus') covenant,
And I did not care about them, says the Lord.
10 For this is the covenant which I(Jesus) will make with the house of Israel
After those days, declares the Lord:
I(Jesus) will put My(Jesus') laws into their minds,
And write them on their hearts.
And I(Jesus) will be their God,
And they shall be My(Jesus') people.

======================

I believe the Bible

Reactions: Religiot
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
OHC, I notice that you quote this verse:

Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a sabbath of rest to the Lord:

The key word is “rest.” The is no day of worship in the Old Testament,

Not true -

Lev 23:3 the 7th day Sabbath is a day of "Holy Convocation"

And in Is 66:23 for all eternity after the cross "from SABBATH to SABBATH shall all mankind will come before Me to worship"

This is the easy part.

Reactions: Religiot
Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟664,282.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Soyeong: “The Lord's Supper was a Passover Seder, so what was said during it should not be removed from that context and applied to every day.”

Do you claim that we should only take the Lord’s Supper on Passover? Surely no such thing was intended.

Soyeong: “In Acts 2:38, Peter instructed His audience to repent and become baptized for the forgiveness of sins, and God's law is how they knew what sin is, which includes the command to keep the 7th day holy, so part of that is repenting from breaking the Sabbath.”

The command the observe the sabbath was only given to the Jews, while Peter’s sermon was given to people from many lands. In that light, what you said isn’t entirely true.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,527.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I cut it out hoping someone would bring it up and then I can point out that Is 66:23 has TWO worship cycles in the New Earth of Rev 21 - because at that point there are TWO Creation events for Earth.
No there aren't. Also it is clear in Revelations 21 that there are no weekdays for there is no night. It is the day that the Lord has made, the eighth day, an eternal day which is not followed by night. And this is what Sunday represents, the day after the seventh day on which God rested in the tomb after His crucifixion, the eighth day on which Christ rose from the dead.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟664,282.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Jesus was right.

Bob,

Do you understand that the first Communion, administered by Jesus to the Apostles, was on a Friday?

Since the first Communion was on a Friday, how do you draw the conclusion that all later Communions should be on Saturday? This makes no sense, especially since Jesus says nothing of the sort, and the New Testament says nothing of the sort.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟664,282.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Jesus was right.

Bob Ryan: “1. He never quoted the command "do not take God's name in vain" but that does not mean we are free to do it without that still being "a sin" just as it always was for anyone who did it , in all of time.”

Here is what Jesus really said about that.

“Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, `Do not break your oath, but keep the oaths you have made to the Lord.’
But I tell you, Do not swear at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne;or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black.
Simply let your `Yes’ be `Yes’, and your `No’, `No’;
anything beyond this comes from the evil one.
Matthew 5: 33-37 NIV

That covers it. We don’t need Old Testament law to forbid swearing, Jesus dealt with it in the Sermon on the Mount.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
OHC, I notice that you quote this verse:

The key word is “rest.” The is no day of worship in the Old Testament, there is a day of rest. Just look at what the Sabbath Commandment says: you shall not work, your family shall not work, your employees shall not work. This is labor law. There is no command to worship on this day, it is meant to guarantee that everyone gets a day off for rest, relaxation and fellowship with their friends and family.

The Sabbath Commandment is labor law, and the OT makes it “holy” to back up the importance of this law for social justice.

OHC: “Mans Sunday laws are coming shortly due to "climate change" then you will have to make a decision either for GOD of for Satan (Obey or deny)”

There aren’t any Sunday laws coming. That seemed plausible in the 19th century when Ellen White made the sabbath her signature issue. Today the world is just becoming totally irreligious.

To deny “climate change” is to deny reality.

You quote Matt 5:19 and 15:9, Mark 7:7, Colossians 2:22 and Rev. 13:8 but all you are doing is twisting the scripture to back up the delusions of Ellen White. In Matthew 5:19, Jesus is talking about the commandments given in the Sermon on the Mount. He isn’t talking about the Ten Commandments or anything else in OT law.

Dale
Keep your eyes on CO26 in Glasgow later this month, then lets talk

On 4 October 2021, faith leaders representing the world’s major religions joined scientists at the Vatican to call on the international community to raise their ambition and step up their climate action ahead of COP26

Holy See: Faith and Science: An Appeal for COP26

Speak up: Join with other churches and wider society by adding its name to a common call for the UK government to take much bolder action on climate change in this country in advance of COP26*, and to strengthen its credibility to lead the international community to adopt a step change in action at COP26. The culmination of the campaign will be a national Climate Sunday event on Sunday 5th September 2021, to share church commitments and pray for bold action and courageous leadership at COP26.

Climate Sunday and COP26

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Soyeong: “The Lord's Supper was a Passover Seder, so what was said during it should not be removed from that context and applied to every day.”

Do you claim that we should only take the Lord’s Supper on Passover? Surely no such thing was intended.

I do that only during Passover.

Soyeong: “In Acts 2:38, Peter instructed His audience to repent and become baptized for the forgiveness of sins, and God's law is how they knew what sin is, which includes the command to keep the 7th day holy, so part of that is repenting from breaking the Sabbath.”

The command the observe the sabbath was only given to the Jews, while Peter’s sermon was given to people from many lands. In that light, what you said isn’t entirely true.

God's law was given to give us knowledge of what sin is (Romans 3:20), we would not have even known what sin is if not for God's law (Romans 7:7), and sin is defined as the transgression of God's law (1 John 3:4), so any knowledge that Peter's audience had of what sin is would have come from God's law, while anyone there who had no knowledge of God's law would have also had no knowledge of what sin is and would not have known what they were being told to do when Peter called for them to repent from their sins. God's law includes the command to keep the Sabbath holy, so it is a sin to break the Sabbath, and telling people to repent from their sins is inclusive of telling those who had been not keeping the Sabbath holy to repent from not doing that. Likewise, Jesus began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, which was a light to Gentiles (Matthew 4:15-23), and God's law was how his audience knew what sin is. In Romans 15:4, Paul said that OT Scripture was written for our instruction, and in 15:18-19, his Gospel message involved bring Gentiles to obedience in word and in deed, so his Gospel was on the same page as the one that Christ taught about repenting from our sins. Likewise, in Romans 10:16, 2 Thessalonians 1:8, and 1 Peter 4:17, it speaks against those who do not obey the Gospel.

Keeping the Sabbath holy testifies that there is a Creator who rested on the 7th day after creating the world in six days, who is holy, and who saves His people, while breaking the Sabbath bears false witness against the truth of these things. In 1 Peter 1:16, we are told to have a holy co nduct for God is holy, which is a quote from Leviticus where God was giving instructions for how to do that, which includes keeping God's Sabbaths holy (Leviticus 19:2-3), so following those instructions is testifying that God is holy, while not following them is denying that God is holy. Likewise, in 1 Peter 2:9-10, Gentiles are included as part of God's chosen people, a holy nation, a royal priesthood, and a treasure of God's own possession, which are terms used to describe Israel (Deuteronomy 7:6), so Gentiles also have the delight of getting to follow the instructions that God gave for how to fulfill those roles. It is contradictory for a Gentile to want to become part of a holy nation while not wanting to follow God's instructions for how to live as part of a holy nation. Jesus is a Jew who lived in sinless obedience to God's law, including setting an example of how to keep the Sabbath holy, so we can look at what he taught by word an by example and decide whether or not to become his follower, but we can't follow his by refusing to follow what he taught.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
climate sunday

A movement in the United Kingdom called Climate Sunday aims to unite ecumenical churches in the combat against climate change. Climate Sunday plans to pressure the UK government to do more to combat climate change. There is also a UN Climate Change Conference called COP26 set to take place in Glasgow, Scotland in November 2021. Heads of state and climate scientists are expected to attend. The Climate Sunday movement plans to pressure members of the conference to take more steps to combat climate change. Pope Francis wrote in his encyclical, Laudato Si, that observing the Sabbath on Sunday is necessary to reverse climate change. More and more politicians and secular agencies are echoing his claim. This will undoubtedly lead to Sunday closing laws. Some countries already have Sunday closing laws while more are sure to follow.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.